Tom Brady bemoans NFL play, says 'there's a lot of mediocrity'

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I wonder if it occurs to him he wouldn’t have had nearly as long a career if they let defense play like they use too?

:patrice:

Will he say this same shyt if CTE kicks in….
Brady did become a full time starter when they allowed defense to still be played.
tom-brady.gif

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Add 359 yards rushing and 9 tds to that. Also making late down situations yardage virtually irrelevant. There is a reason Philly so able to control the 4th quarter and win these close games.

Philly starts every series needing 9 yards in 3 plays not 10. That’s a helluva an advantage.
It’s really like 7 yards

get my pool

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶
Daps
It’s a lot of trash coaches in the league too. Teams forgot what to look for when hiring a head coach and just defaulted to hiring the coordinator from whoever the top offense/defense was that season

No way this goofy mf should be head coach of a nfl team

Last edited:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Man, wasnt?!?!.. it was so bad that Matt Flynn threw 6 td passes in his first start!! Vs a division rival and playoff team!!! Cam going for 400 in his debut and he isnt even a great passer like that. 2011 was where it all changed.
There was only.one less 4k yd passer in 2009. In fact, 2021 (the last 16 game season) had the same amount of 4k passers as '09

premier58

All Star
Daps
There was only.one less 4k yd passer in 2009. In fact, 2021 (the last 16 game season) had the same amount of 4k passers as '09
Yeah I remember. Thats the year that Matt Schaub led the league in passing yards, right?? There will always be outlier years. 2009 was a weird year. You had the Bounty Boy Saints bringing the physicality, yet Green Bay/Arizona had an absolute playoff shootout, but it was still old school enough that hard nosed defensive teams like the Ravens and Jets, were still relevant. That was also the year where Revis clamped up everybody, yet Chris Johnson ran for 2K after the Titans started off 0_7 and got bludgeoned 59-0 by New England.

Those strange years.happen. Case in point, 1995. Look at what WRs did that season. Rice, Bruce, Carter, Irvin, Herman Moore, Robert Brooks etc Atlanta had 3 1000 yard WR's etc..excuse me if I forgot anything, this was off the top of my head. They all put up numbers that would make the modern day WRs, blush. Doesnt change the fact that the game was still different and less open, back then.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Another weird antidote, the Steelers went from having an historicsl defenses in 2008, to being terrible in 2009, to being dominant again in 2010. Manning won MVP in 2009 with 16 ints. Off top, most INTs for an MVP since 97, when Favre had 16 or did Warner have more in 2001, also?? I know Warner threw 13 I believe in 1999. 10 for Gannon in 2002, 10 and 7 for Manning and McNair in 2003, 10 for Manning in 2004, 8 for Brady in 2007, 12 for Manning in 2008. After Manning wins MVP with 16, Brady has 4ints as MVP the following year.

Red Money

Pro
Daps
Nfl has sucked since the 2005 rule changes where you could no longer touch Wr’s after Peyton and the Colts complained that the Pats were too physical with their WR’s

Ever since then it’s been a 7 on 7 drill

It was always illegal to touch/re route a WR as in jam them beyond 5 yards. It was just allowed to be gotten away with for a period of time if it wasn't too blatant. Point of emphasis changed.

Holding is illegal but offensive linemen do it routinely and get away with it as long as hands are inside defender's shoulders.

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
Eisen here makes a good point. There's just not enough time for young players to get reps because they slashed practice time

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even before the rule changes once the salary cap/hardcap was implemented in the mid 90’s that waters down your product for the sake of parity

It’s designed to make most of the league go 8-8 because you can’t stack your roster anymore and most teams have a similar talent level so every teams fanbase feels like they have a chance to turn things around every year

Once they made the rule changes now you’ve made it extremely important to have an elite all time great QB and in any given era there are only a few of those guys so now there is a huge gap between the few teams that have those and everyone else

So now not only is your product watered down but you don’t have much parity because of the discrepancy between teams with great QB’s and teams who don’t have them

Last era every year for two decades Brady and Peyton’s team were always a contender regardless of roster flaws where teams without them had a window of maybe a few years to win a title

In this era only Mahomes has proven to be one so far so the Chiefs will be top contenders every year as long as he’s there no matter how flawed their roster is while everyone else will only have a few year window to contend