Top 5 Rappers of All-Time

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I'm going to make a suggestion that you follow your own advice, so we don't end up with a bunch of people just listing their top 5s (in your original post).
I would love to hear why MC Eiht is in yours.

Fair.

MC Eiht is in my top 5 because of his body of work and the context under which he emerged.

Re body of work, he's got a very healthy discography spanning from the early CMW records to some of his most recent solo stuff, including Which Way iz West from a few years back which was a very good project imo. CMW is obviously a group, but for all intents and purposes, MC Eiht carried the group from an MC'ing standpoint....matter of fact he was the ONLY MC on their best album minus the one guest spot (Music to Driveby). The first 3 CMW albums are immense, and they get progressively better. M2D is a classic and you could make an argument for Straight Checkn Em. Then you have his 'solo' albums ft. CMW such as We Come Strapped and Death Threatz, which are both great great albums.

Re context, he made out a very respectable lane for himself when NWA was dominating West Coast music at the time. He was definitely influenced by them but he rapped from a different perspective and still managed to flourish despite being more underground. He's not the only rapper that fits that mould though (DJ Quik for example accomplished the same feat). I like how his music was not just about gangbanging and living in the hood etc. but also that behind some of the reckless actions (car jackings, driveby shootings etc.) there are consequences to that life.

Beyond what I stated above, I think he's got an amazing voice, and arguably one that got better with age, which is a rarity amongst rappers once they get older. They tend to lose their greatest instrument. In terms of MC skill and lyrical abilities etc., he's not the best. But he knows how to make good music and he's a poor man's Ice Cube when it comes to his visionary, storytelling style of writing, which I like.

What about your 5?

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
My All Time List
1) 2pac
2) Nas
3) Rakim
4) Kane
5) Melle Mel

My Personal favorite 5
1) 2pac
2) Ice Cube
3) Kurupt
4) Khujo Goodie
5) Sick Jacken

I know it may seem obvious, but can you explain the difference between the two lists? Why do you think your all-time list is different from your personal favourite list? What objective measures are you using to produce that kinda list?

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well if we’re not mentioning personal and being completely objective

Ice Cube
Jay-z
Nas
PAC
Big
Or Scarface will make the top 5. Five of that six.

subjectively my personal is

Lupe fiasco
Joe Budden
Black thought
Jay Electronica
Lloyd banks

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I've noticed a lot of Scarface mentions
:ehh:

For those that included him, why is he in your top 5?

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Nas - my personal number 1. I connect more with his style and his music more than any other rapper. Lyrically just incredible has a great discography and his unreleased/non album cuts are just incredible. I believe he's truly unique and an extremely creative artist always looking to push the creative boundaries even if the results are sometimes mixed. Fave albums illmatic,IWW,Distant relative,Life is good, Untitled album.

Jay-Z - Incredible career. Hit maker and always has his finger on the pulse of the culture. His flow is also impeccable. My fave album of his is the black album then American gangster. I did enjoy 4:44 so I do feel he adapted quite well.

2Pac - if pac was still alive he would probably be my number 1. A true heart on his sleeves artist not just a rapper. Been dead over 20 and his music is timeless. Great voice great discography despite his early death.

Biggie - incredible lyricist and incredible flow. Supreme storytelling and versatile rapper. 2 incredible albums enough to put him on the list just ahead of Snoop and Ice cube.

Snoop - Doggystyle is probably in my top 3 albums all time. Unique voice and flow. Would sound great on even the wackest beats. His post Doggystyle work is also very underrated.

Ice cube - Again another unique artist. Great discography and probably has a shout on being one of the most consistent rappers ever. I've never been to LA but I feel like I have due to Cube's music. Death Certificate literally has me shook everytime because Cube makes you believe every word and his music aged well.

Honourable mentions to Black thought and Method man.

No particular order except for Nas at 1. I couldn't separate Cube and Snoop so :manny:

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
MY Personal Top 5 (no order)

Andre 3000
Nas
Common
Pac
Big KRIT

I love poetry. I know it's all poetry, but some poetry just stick with you. I listen to these dudes more than any other rapper hands down.

The strength of their projects, verses, ability to connect on some real life shyt, and the beauty of how they marry beats, rhymes, and life.

Peace

King Poetic

Can You Spot Me A 20?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On The Pacific
I've noticed a lot of Scarface mentions
:ehh:

For those that included him, why is he in your top 5?

storyteller

a minute to prey and second to die

money and the power

I’m dead

listen to mr Scarface is back album alone

u can literally lay back with your eyes close and depict in your mind how the song goes if u did a video