UFC 269 On ESPN+ PPV [12/11] “Blood Diamond” (Oliveira/Poirier, Nunes/Pena)

Who Wins Saturday Night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
That Nunes-Pena fight was embarrassing, they were both punching sloppy and eating basic ass jabs. No feinting, no head movement, no defense. Pure basic MMA swang and bang lmao. I cant believe that Pena outstroke Nunes with here subpar form.

And Nunes, seriously, she kicked Pena flush 3 or 4 times and dropped here twice. What kind of corner does not emphasize on keeping doing what works. Nunes' kicking game is actually what confuses her opponents and make way to her striking. It's her kicks that opened Cyborg, Rousey, Holm and them.

It's so obvious she overlooked Pena and/or didnt train enough for this fight smh.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Mks perfect Sens efor dustin he bjj gm is nuthin Charles is high level if he opened his guard and tried to get out butterfly wizard ne thing Charles wldve had more opportunity to grab a leg or arm or move to side position or easier to hit a submission. He chose to hold n prey and take da best of 2 bad options.

At that point he has to know his only chance is the 1st min of nxt round b4 he gets dirty boxed on cage or taken down and he only had a punches chance.

I understand Charles is a wizard on the mat… Porier just seen this against Khabib but to give up your back standing? For such a high level fighter and iq of Dustin? Nah dude is def fools gold. I think he had more of a punchers chance he just didn’t follow his game plan. Regardless I had Charles winning by decision. Idk how Dustin comes back from this.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
That Nunes-Pena fight was embarrassing, they were both punching sloppy and eating basic ass jabs. No feinting, no head movement, no defense. Pure basic MMA swang and bang lmao. I cant believe that Pena outstroke Nunes with here subpar form.

And Nunes, seriously, she kicked Pena flush 3 or 4 times and dropped here twice. What kind of corner does not emphasize on keeping doing what works. Nunes' kicking game is actually what confuses her opponents and make way to her striking. It's her kicks that opened Cyborg, Rousey, Holm and them.

It's so obvious she overlooked Pena and/or didnt train enough for this fight smh.

And Amanda really wanted to get in the ring with the Shields and box.

etrofllenrod504

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Charles is so much better than people realize. Even after this win tonight. From what I've heard through some mutual BJJ folks that have rolled with him, he completely changed his mentality after losing the Paul Felder fight. He had a deep darce choke, marce choke, and standing rear naked choke on Felder, didn't finish Felder, and mentally crumbled before getting TKO'd. He's worked on his mindset so much and sports psychology since then. That combined with coming more into his physical prime and really improving his wrestling and striking...yeah, he's on another level right now. He's also been competing in pure BJJ tournaments the past couple years in Brazil.

People always paid attention to his submissions and overlooked his reactive takedowns. He's also only got 3 losses at 155, and most of his losses were at 145 after being gassed from a difficult weight cut there.

I think his resume is slept on (I think it'll be more appreciated in time) and he's still better than his resume indicates. He's not a 2nd rate champ by any means. I'd have really liked to see Khabib fight this Charles 2.0 right here. Charles 2.0 is like a refined Tony Ferguson with better wrestling.
Everything you said is spot on! Only thing I disagree is him being like a refined Tony. What make Olivera bjj so elite is his style is from the new generation. I been doing bjj for 11yrs now my son has been doing it 11yrs he's 17. Olivera style is like my son, the guys who compete in ibjjf, they play k guard, excellent flexibility, excellent in the takedown era, still fundamental sound,snatching crazy sub from spots that would be unorthodox for a guy like me. Tony grappling is that old school 10th planet that rely heavily on rubber guard but, don't put emphasis on takedowns and fundamental positioning. It's just past it's time with this new generation of bjj. Props on pointing out he competes still in bjj cause, that's why his bjj looks the way it does.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nunes pacing trash, she was doing great then starting chasing, got gassed and anyone can time that the way she was coming in.

Enough power still there for her, she just has to think instead of assuming and she wins rematch easily.

franknitty711

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

Few of my texts last night thought the fix was in when Nunes tapped out.

dave

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Nunes at 135 I can see gassing which happened but she was hitting Peña though. At 145 idk who stopping her besides a cyborg rematch and maybe Kayla Harrison… Peña rematch at 135 is extremely interesting now since Peña will have the mental edge and has already taken her best shots… I wonder if Valentina in the cut looking to fight at 135 after they do rematch fight and then she rematches the winner.

Amanda just had a baby. that killer instinct ain't there anymore.

when women become moms, biology kicks in & priorities change.

clap for Amanda (the GOAT since...) but it's a wrap.

only a matter of time before she loses the featherweight title.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not an excuse but Nunes had covid over the summer. she seemed off to me.

I hope Nunes retires, but I'm sure she'll need $$$ for her family.

Valentina has to be salivating right now.

‘this is why I’m hesitant to go to a live boxing or ufc. Pay all that money so when something exciting happens, somebody stands up and I can’t see shyt???? I would be mad I missed the actual knockout cuz of this shyt

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Everything you said is spot on! Only thing I disagree is him being like a refined Tony. What make Olivera bjj so elite is his style is from the new generation. I been doing bjj for 11yrs now my son has been doing it 11yrs he's 17. Olivera style is like my son, the guys who compete in ibjjf, they play k guard, excellent flexibility, excellent in the takedown era, still fundamental sound,snatching crazy sub from spots that would be unorthodox for a guy like me. Tony grappling is that old school 10th planet that rely heavily on rubber guard but, don't put emphasis on takedowns and fundamental positioning. It's just past it's time with this new generation of bjj. Props on pointing out he competes still in bjj cause, that's why his bjj looks the way it does.
no doubt! That's awesome you and your son train. I've been trying to get a BJJ school open for 2 years. I quit my desk job in late 2018 to make it happen, but Covid has really slowed the process down. Hopefully 2022 I can get things going a little faster. I saw an ADCC 2005 highlight video with Jacare and Marcelo Garcia in 06/07 and started training.

Did you see some of the k-guard stuff Ryan Hall was playing last night?

Also, I'm loving seeing a lot of the young guns around your kid's age. Kade and Tye Ruotolo, Cole Abate, Mica Galvao, and William and Andrew Tackett are some of my favorites to watch in the whole sport right now. It's really great to see kids that started 10+ years ago like your son that are starting to come into adulthood and getting the adult strength meshing with the already superb technique.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Few of my texts last night thought the fix was in when Nunes tapped out.
I think they're overthinking it. She was hurt, overwhelmed, close to unconsciousness, and I think she was done and wanted out of there. I'm not even hating on that decision either. As soon as that arm started slipping around her neck I think she was either ready to be done or her body was on autopilot and just tapped. She had nothing left at that point. It was definitely a massive upset but I don't think her tapping quickly is the sign of any sort of fix.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
He don't need to take him down he gets him on that fence, he'll take your back standing lol
It's actually brilliant, and I think a lot of it is on purpose. Charles Oliveira has hacks that skip him even needing to go to the ground. He's attacked several front headlock moving into guillotine, darce, or anaconda chokes on the feet and then dragging the opponent to the ground for the finish. And I think this was his 3rd standing rear naked choke win, and he's attempted this in other fights too where he didn't finish. He had a deep standing RNC on Paul Felder that didn't seal the deal, but it looked tight. And the tight darce choke he had on Felder was locked on the feet and then he pulled guard to bring it to the floor.

You make a great point. Oliveira doesn't necessarily need to get you to the ground before clamping onto a deep submission.