[Wee Bey gif] Wait, Sigel's "The Reason" dropped BEFORE Jay's Blueprint?

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Nothin like it will always give me heartache and tears. When I heard that song that day I found out my good friends' s brother got chopped up in 13 pieces and dumped in newspaper and Walgreen bags.

That day was just pure misery and beanie's nothing like it was going through my mind.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
On a podcast recently Beans said that was part of why he had a hard time getting out of the streets. Said he never had dreams of being a rapper and at the time he was just looking at it like his current hustle, didn't realize it was actually a career opportunity, and was just churning out music while still on the block. He said if he'd get writer's block while recording The Truth, that he would just take an hour to go outside and drive or walk around the block. Then he'd come back and have stuff to say.

:wow:

Interesting. I always liked tit more than The Truth because I thought the production was a little more consistent, but I'll have to check The Truth again. Lyrically they were both about the same to me, I just liked the production on The Reason more.

Just listened to a podcast with Beans on it. He was saying he started playing that beat when he was really high and drunk, in the wee hours, for like 4 hours trying to get the words to it. He said no one else liked it, thought it was too soft, and kept trying to change the beat when he'd go to the bathroom or when people thought he was falling asleep. But he said he eventually caught it and recorded it in like 15 minutes.
:wow:

Need a link to that podcast

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Nothin like it will always give me heartache and tears. When I heard that song that day I found out my good friends' s brother got chopped up in 13 pieces and dumped in newspaper and Walgreen bags.

That day was just pure misery and beanie's nothing like it was going through my mind.
shyt:wow:

wilburn burchette

got his ass
Daps
Reppin
Felladelphila
i used to play the second half of this album relentlessly, fukk some rap opinions, this album got songs that mean the world to me. beans is one of the few artists (along with styles) that you feel like is sitting there talking you through your bullshyt.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
iirc, it dropped in june before the school year was over.

that was a HOT summer. sixers in the finals, beans & most wanted albums dropped, dutch & spade were supposedly getting ready to drop. beans vs jada. etc etc.

but the reason was beans' weakest release of his prime tho.

The memory is shyt sometimes. I do remember in now, in hindsight. Some of the Young Guru Blueprint story fukked me up. I was listening to Young Guru a while back and he was talking about Just Blaze hearing what Kanye was doing for Blueprint and went "So that's the vibe we're on?" and started doing those type of beats. But The Reason already had those types of beats on it. So hearing that didn't help and made me think they were flip flopped. Because on Dynasty Just wasn't really doing the soul samples, besides Soon You'll Understand. So remembering that just further pushed the wrong narrative in my head.

Basically I'm just forgetful as fukk.

they prolly recorded the blueprint 1st.

I remember in the winter or spring of '01, hearing that jay album was done.

Clue was never on the roc.

yes he was.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The memory is shyt sometimes. I do remember in now, in hindsight. Some of the Young Guru Blueprint story fukked me up. I was listening to Young Guru a while back and he was talking about Just Blaze hearing what Kanye was doing for Blueprint and went "So that's the vibe we're on?" and started doing those type of beats. But The Reason already had those types of beats on it. So hearing that didn't help and made me think they were flip flopped. Because on Dynasty Just wasn't really doing the soul samples, besides Soon You'll Understand. So remembering that just further pushed the wrong narrative in my head.

Basically I'm just forgetful as fukk.

This can't be life was the biggest hit of the Dynasty Album and when Kanye became a a house hold name essential man

and it was also the first soul sample that was a big single for that era

on another note Jay-z been rapping on soul samples his whole career lmao, reasonable doubt politics as usual as an example

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Haha yeah of course....That was THE summer for me as a 15 year old music wise....2001 man.....You also had AZ '9 Lives' and some other pretty iconic tracks and albums....

The Jada/Sigel battle was first and foremost, which gave us the back and forths, plus dope albums from top tier rappers....That Sigel album dropped in June? I remember when the Real Audio version leaked lol but of course I grabbed that retail somehow, with whatever change and bills I could find.....'Nothing Like It' used to wake me up for school, on my alarm/cd player lol thats how far back I go with it. 'Get Down' was raw', 'Think It's A Game' had a dope Jay verse, cuz he had been slacking for a minute that summer/spring, and then he brought it home with 'Still Got Love For You, and of course my Dad was gone by that time too.

'Mom Praying', and 'Tales of A Hustler', with the bleak and sobering 'What Ya Life Like 2', with great visuals and emotive lyrics from Beanie, the last 4 tracks on there were amazing, it's an even album because of it,too many lazy Rick Rock beats in the beginning and middle, but still what a sequence.......I was down in Ensenada wearing this shyt out that summer....

I wanted to make a 'The Reason' thread, but this will do as my outlet....