What happened to entertainment?

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Television is great right now. Still room for improvement though.

Film? eehhhhh, it's debateable. There's still good stuff coming out here and there, but Hollywood is a bit too oversaturated with the pointless remakes/reboots and comic book/YA book-adaptations(I do enjoy those btw). Studios are still playing it too safe. Refusing to take a chance on things without built-in audiences or familiarity.

and I would say for the most part Western action films have gotten worse. Over-reliance on CGI, quick cuts, lousy fight choreography.etc. That's why I thought John Wick was a somewhat refreshing watch because it didn't have much of that.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Primetime TV is worse it's like 90% generic cop shows (csi law &order etc)

Movies got too many remakes.

The sheer amount of media available balances it out tho

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Like what? I can see it in action movies but comedies not so much, there are some gems here and there tho
I think you are right. The bar for comedy is extremely low.
I think its cause of writing rooms. If each season of a show is written by 20 people, and each of those people is also writing other shows, you get this continual overlap where the same jokes are being tossed around and pushed through.

If person A writes for the Simpsons, all the jokes he pitched that got shot down on the Simpsons he just re-pitches at Family Guy or Bobs Burgers or whatever other show he is on til his crap gets used. It also makes it so each show starts to take on traits of other shows and they all become this generic pile of garbage.

Family Guy and American Dad where very different shows when AD debuted. Now they are the same thing. They do 4th wall jokes, songs, cuts to non-sequiters. Its pretty bad. They also turn all the characters gay cause to bad writers gay = funny.
Season one of Family Guy AND American Dad: Stewie was straight, Steve was straight tryna get chicks, Chris was straight, Meg was straight, etc. As the shows progress Stewie is fully queer basically with effeminate vocals and everything. Steve is a sissy always doing gay shyt with his gay friends, they had Chris making out with some little boy in a dress at a lake and Meg thinking shes a dyke and tryna get at girls, and they gave her a sex change in the movie. They have Roger being super gay all the time. Crossdressing and all sorts of stuff. Its a lgbt wetdream.

Unwatchable.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Is there really??

Ummm yes.... In the 80's, it was like Sanford and Son and Cosby's. Thats about it

90 we got a handful more but it wasnt overwhelming.

Now there are a nice number.... whether there the type of shows one would watch or not. Hell that Sleepy Hollow show is an underrated show with a strong black cast. Nicole Beharie, Lyndie Greenwood, and Orlando Jones have had strong roles on that show. And now Lance Gross is added.

What I'm getting at is, this aint like the 80's where maybe networks at best only had 2 black shows on air and ever other show was full white cast.

There are more diverse shows than ever on (I'm mean hell, we are finally in an era where there are 2 shows marketed to Asian Americans, who'd a thunk of that) tv and even the white show they have done a much better job with keeping it from completely being a 100% white washed show.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
What are some good movies you've seen? Some of those 80s movies managed to capture their time some of the movies i've seen just can't seem to do that. They try too hard like the American Pie movies after wedding, they just seem to shoehorn a point

Some good movies? Ok, I'll play this game.... and I wont even mention the blockbuster good movies.

But before I do, what is the range you're questioning? This year? Past 2 yrs? Past 5 years? This decade? If you really want to do this, fair enough, but what parameters are we working off?

Going back to the 80's movies though, not everything was Star Wars, Back To The Future, and Indiana Jones, Jason and Freddy. When I think of the old classics that hold a spot back then but would be corny today are like Gremlins, Critters, Tremors, The Last Starfighter, Tron, Iron Eagle, Jewel of the Nile.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Ummm yes.... In the 80's, it was like Sanford and Son and Cosby's. Thats about it

90 we got a handful more but it wasnt overwhelming.

Now there are a nice number.... whether there the type of shows one would watch or not. Hell that Sleepy Hollow show is an underrated show with a strong black cast. Nicole Beharie, Lyndie Greenwood, and Orlando Jones have had strong roles on that show. And now Lance Gross is added.

What I'm getting at is, this aint like the 80's where maybe networks at best only had 2 black shows on air and ever other show was full white cast.

There are more diverse shows than ever on (I'm mean hell, we are finally in an era where there are 2 shows marketed to Asian Americans, who'd a thunk of that) tv and even the white show they have done a much better job with keeping it from completely being a 100% white washed show.
I disagree there was a wider range in the 90s

A.much wider

Hell the 70's-90s

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
I disagree there was a wider range in the 90s

A.much wider

Hell the 70's-90s

Hmmmm..... ok name some then.

I remember in the 90s when Family Matters was on tv.... that was like the primary show with a black cast on ABC and not much else.

Maybe at times Margret Cho show and Lopez

NBC rotated Fresh Prince, LL's show, and maybe a few others but all never around the same time. It was like 2 at a time at max.

Fox really only had Martin, Living Single, ILC, and NY Undercover but nothing else

CBS, I dont recall them EVER having any black shows and actually in terms of this discussion out of all the networks, they're the ones that to my knowledge that never changed and never really cared about being diverse.

But sticking with the big network channels, not only was it less black shows back then other shows with bigger white cast rarely had blacks on their shows (Friends, Cheers, Sienfield, etc)

Another reason that kinda helps my point is.... back then there was less channels. Now I cant speak for what cable you had, growing up I basically always had Time Warner and I remember for a fact back then when it was like 60 channels.

Now all companies have over 500 channels but damn we was light back then.

And mentioning the 70s? Nicca.... bread was $.10, gas was $.43, you could support a family off $15k a year, and they prolly had at best 15 stations:mjlol:

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
Some good movies? Ok, I'll play this game.... and I wont even mention the blockbuster good movies.

But before I do, what is the range you're questioning? This year? Past 2 yrs? Past 5 years? This decade? If you really want to do this, fair enough, but what parameters are we working off?

Going back to the 80's movies though, not everything was Star Wars, Back To The Future, and Indiana Jones, Jason and Freddy. When I think of the old classics that hold a spot back then but would be corny today are like Gremlins, Critters, Tremors, The Last Starfighter, Tron, Iron Eagle, Jewel of the Nile.
Doesn't matter how long it's been we might have seen some of the same movies and have different opinions

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
I think you are right. The bar for comedy is extremely low.
I think its cause of writing rooms. If each season of a show is written by 20 people, and each of those people is also writing other shows, you get this continual overlap where the same jokes are being tossed around and pushed through.

If person A writes for the Simpsons, all the jokes he pitched that got shot down on the Simpsons he just re-pitches at Family Guy or Bobs Burgers or whatever other show he is on til his crap gets used. It also makes it so each show starts to take on traits of other shows and they all become this generic pile of garbage.

Family Guy and American Dad where very different shows when AD debuted. Now they are the same thing. They do 4th wall jokes, songs, cuts to non-sequiters. Its pretty bad. They also turn all the characters gay cause to bad writers gay = funny.
Season one of Family Guy AND American Dad: Stewie was straight, Steve was straight tryna get chicks, Chris was straight, Meg was straight, etc. As the shows progress Stewie is fully queer basically with effeminate vocals and everything. Steve is a sissy always doing gay shyt with his gay friends, they had Chris making out with some little boy in a dress at a lake and Meg thinking shes a dyke and tryna get at girls, and they gave her a sex change in the movie. They have Roger being super gay all the time. Crossdressing and all sorts of stuff. Its a lgbt wetdream.

Unwatchable.
Man family guy used to be dope i can still watch old eps and laugh

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Is it me just living off the past or are TV and Film lacking in too many areas? We don't have much diversity in televison or films now and days. I will admit that action/superhero movies have gotten better and are improving but comdies and horror movies have taken a step back. Again is me being nostlagic or do we need a rebirth in the industry?
WTF? This THE the GOLDEN age of TV

Movies on the other hand :mjpls:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
TV shows have gotten a lot better since cenorship isnt as strict and the idea of what a tv show should be isnt the same.

Horror films (and videogames) have gotten better this decade, imo.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
Hmmmm..... ok name some then.

I remember in the 90s when Family Matters was on tv.... that was like the primary show with a black cast on ABC and not much else.

Maybe at times Margret Cho show and Lopez

NBC rotated Fresh Prince, LL's show, and maybe a few others but all never around the same time. It was like 2 at a time at max.

Fox really only had Martin, Living Single, ILC, and NY Undercover but nothing else

CBS, I dont recall them EVER having any black shows and actually in terms of this discussion out of all the networks, they're the ones that to my knowledge that never changed and never really cared about being diverse.

But sticking with the big network channels, not only was it less black shows back then other shows with bigger white cast rarely had blacks on their shows (Friends, Cheers, Sienfield, etc)

Another reason that kinda helps my point is.... back then there was less channels. Now I cant speak for what cable you had, growing up I basically always had Time Warner and I remember for a fact back then when it was like 60 channels.

Now all companies have over 500 channels but damn we was light back then.

And mentioning the 70s? Nicca.... bread was $.10, gas was $.43, you could support a family off $15k a year, and they prolly had at best 15 stations:mjlol:
500 channels and half of em full of bs
WTF? This THE the GOLDEN age of TV

Movies on the other hand :mjpls:
eye catching tag is effective