What is the most useful non-STEM degree?

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Stop wasting time. Either get involved in STEM (Comp Sci, Nursing, Med School, electrical engineer, chemical engineering, etc) or one of those non stem degrees I mentioned. Anything else is nonsense and a waste of money.
Y’all be tellin nikkas this setting em up for failure

Bad idea to jus jump into a major U aren’t passionate nor talented in

invalid

Banned
Daps
PR is a dud if you are not attractive, a female, a great communicator, and well connected. I wouldn’t waste my time with it as a black man. Not only may it take some time to secure a job but you are going to have to hustle hard to secure consecutive jobs after that. That’s a lot of stress to put on you. You should really think about fields where it’s not that much of a hustle to secure employment.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
A lot of people do not consider finance, business, or accounting as STEM: Why isn't an accounting degree considered STEM? | Study.com

But don’t worry about the names. You need to find a degree YOU like and identify careers. The reason why most people don’t get jobs after graduating is because they just do 3/4 years of study with out end game.

I studied a Japanese short course with a guy who got his degree is cartography and such a random course got him a solid job (admit idly he had to do an MSc too) but the key thing he knew what he wanted to do before taking his BSc.

My Mrs did some art course in Cali which involved calligraphy, poetry, etc but also included a language course and she’s now a translator.

So envision what will be next after the course. Go look at LinkedIn and search for people who studied in the field you want to study in. Look for company’s that ask for that specific degree and see what else you need.

Even people who study STEM don’t walk into grad jobs. You have to put in 120% and diversify yourself from the crowd no matter the course you study and there are a LOT of people in STEM career roles who didn’t study STEM courses.

STEM degrees aren’t the be all and end all.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
PR is a dud if you are not attractive, a female, a great communicator, and well connected. I wouldn’t waste my time with it as a black man. Not only may it take some time to secure a job but you are going to have to hustle hard to secure consecutive jobs after that. That’s a lot of stress to put on you. You should really think about fields where it’s not that much of a hustle to secure employment.
I suck at math and science. I don't like manual labor. I can't act nor sing nor rap nor am I exceptional at any sport. My passions are history, creative writing, journalism and art (painting & photography) but you clearly can't get a decent paying job if I majored in any of those fields. The only option left for me that I actually have an interest in is PR and even that is an questionable field to be in according to y'all. I have literally nothing else but this.

That article about the steep increase of purposeless young men rejecting college is shaking my very core.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I suck at math and science. I don't like manual labor. I can't act nor sing nor rap nor am I exceptional at any sport. My passions are history, creative writing, journalism and art (painting & photography) but you clearly can't get a decent paying job if I majored in any of those fields. The only option left for me that I actually have an interest in is PR and even that is an questionable field to be in according to y'all. I have literally nothing else but this.

That article about the steep increase of purposeless young men rejecting college is shaking my very core.

From what you say STEM won’t help your interests or careers. But have you heard about technical writing careers? Have you thought of freelancing?

You say you like journalism. Ok you have the chance to write for any paper in the world, one article. What would it be about?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
From what you say STEM won’t help your interests or careers. But have you heard about technical writing careers? Have you thought of freelancing?

You say you like journalism. Ok you have the chance to write for any paper in the world, one article. What would it be about?
Yeah, I heard about technical writing but I don't know if I can make enough from it to survive off it. I live in an expensive part of Southern California. I feel like freelancing is not stable enough for a career.

Journalism was my first major so I took several classes but a bunch of people on the Coli, other forums/websites, and IRL said that was an useless degree and a dead end. So I switched it to PR, a similar enough but different major. I published a few articles I wrote already during my time as a journalism major.
journalism.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Yeah, I heard about technical writing but I don't know if I can make enough from it to survive off it. I live in an expensive part of Southern California. I feel like freelancing is not stable enough for a career.

Journalism was my first major so I took several classes but a bunch of people on the Coli, other forums/websites, and IRL said that was an useless degree and a dead end. So I switched it to PR, a similar enough but different major. I published a few articles I wrote already during my time as a journalism major.
journalism.

There are technical writing jobs available in the technology space, you may need to pair it with some HTML or lite-coding knowledge but this is an example from a quick search:

UX Writer, Developer Intelligence - Google Careers.

Go with your gut next time! Don't let people talk you out of something if that's what you really like. Is it too late to do a bridging year? On the flip side, have you looked at law or accounting firms for PR jobs?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Architecture is definitely STEM. shyt is no joke.

Because of Engineering?

Just cuz something is difficult doesn't mean it's STEM.

Otherwise Finance and Acctg definitely wouldn't be STEM because they are easy as fukk lol

For OP what about trying to become a paralegal? I think that Poli Sci is usually the undergrad degree for that but idk.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Accounting and Finance fall under the M in STEM.
:ld:
Accounting is not a math field. I took like two basic math classes in college. Most of my curriculum was business courses and accounting. Closer to Business Law then math if anything with all the tax regs and business laws we have to learn.

Last edited:

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
My sister got a PhD in public relations & works for google making 100k a year
That’s great for your sister, but for context there’s probably 20 software engineers with backgrounds in STEM for everyone with a public relations degree. The software engineers median pay is probably 250K and they only need a bachelors :ld: