What would it take for you to listen to Joyner Lucas on a regular basis??

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I want him to find his voice - who is HE as a rapper.

One moment he's sounding like Eminem - Then Meek Mill, and his latest shyt he sounds like Nipsey Hussle.

I do think he's underrated because he's precise with the rhymes and actually makes good music. HIs 2 projects this year were surprisingly good and graded out really well.

Some of his songs have that Eminem with Skylar Gray vibe that I despise though.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Joyner ain't my thing but for the right amount of dough :manny:

Nothing could get me to listen to some real wack shyt like Griselda :scust:

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Somebody else to have the aux cord and me not have my AirPods

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
He reminds me of a lot of early to mid 00s rappity rap underground rappers who took the wrong things from Nas. Every great artist - be it a musician or a film director - has things they excel at and things they're less good at. At their worst, artists end up failing when they imitate something that another artist was great at. Remember all those action/suspense flicks from the early 00s with witty, Tarantinto-esque dialogue? Some were ok but most were trash because you could tell they were imitating something that Tarantinto does well, naturally.

Well in the early/mid 00s a lot of underground rappers were trying to imitate Nas and failing. Trying to do I Gave You Power type concept records that ended up being corny or preachy or downright bad. I feel like Joyner is like the poster child of this. I don't know who he is as a person or rapper. His entire persona seems rooted in "remember Nas? Remember Eminem? He's like that." But...he's not. So you get elaborate, super lyrical concept tracks that serve less as ART and more as...a lyrical exercise that loses all interest after you hear it once.

You can listen to I Gave You Power multiple times and not only be impressed but enjoy it because it's a great song. Even though you know what the concept is, hearing it play out remains enjoyable. Likewise you can rewatching The Six Sense, knowing the twist, and still be entertained because it's a great film; the twist is not the the only thing making it work. Joyner feels like his twists and gimmicks are the only thing that's there. There's nothing else. No cool hooks or personal lyrics...just...a game. Pass.