Where did the gold teeth trend start?

Uncle Kingpin

No Relation
Daps
so you sold crack yet gotta whoopin from momma ?
nah i was saying that shyt hurt worse than any beating i ever got as a kid, i was too big to catch a whooping since 12, at 15 i was off the porch doing grown man shyt, had my first whip at 15 a green jeep cherokee. i wasnt the only one, it was the 90's and all the old heads were getting football numbers, and the fiends still got welfare checks so somebody had to get the money.

SunGod

All Star
Daps
I don't know how old some of my other NOLA brehs are on here. But i bout to tell my age to a extent back in the day BEFORE Katrina and when you had Woolsworth on that corner of Canal Street. You could go to a place called McCory's (its a Athletes foot or a Lady Foot Locker i believe) and get the caps or the permanents, or open faces.

I never seen that whole intricate thing of the setting of VVS stones and all that other stuff until i hit Texas and Sacramento.
What you know about Slugs for Thugs though?

:lolbron:

Krazy K

All Star
Daps
permanent?

do all yall just start dealing right out of middle school :wtf:
post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-wyUJ.gif

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
It's some old down south poor southern Black folks shyt. It was easier and cheaper to cap off a rotted tooth or replace a fallen out one with a gold tooth. Wasn't like cats from some small southern towns had access to dentists back then like that. shyt fell out they just got a gold put in or a open face around the edges. Folks been doing it for over 100 years. New Orleans nikkas made it a fashion statement in the mid part of the 20th century. That's where all the 6
at the top and bottom and designs and shyt came from. Then Miami nikkas got on it and it kinda crept north from there. We rocked pull out fronts in my city and I remember you could literally go south a little bit like past Macon and them pull outs changed to permanents. No way in hell that shyt started in NY. If anything they got it from Carolina nikkas who moved up there in the 70s

Mad Good Dro

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, this got me interested in the origin so I hit google -- The History of Gold Teeth

apparently the shyt ain't even remotely new

Mayan-1024x354.jpg

800AD: Mayans adorned their teeth by drilling small holes in them and filling with gemstones like jade.

:wow:

teeth-world-1024x435.jpg
Wouldn't drilling holes in your teeth for those gems hurt like fukk? :huhldup:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Gold teeth is ancient all over the old world dating back 1,000's of years

Gold teeth in the modern style? I'm almost 100% positive I saw an old blues guy from back in the day with a gold grill but I can't think of his name. This old boxer had a mouth full of them too

2d91db2c6f3984ef8ff40de405542218.jpg