Who Flipped it Better Vol 1. 9th Wonder vs J Dilla

Who Flipped it Better 1

• Total voters

James Dean

All Star
Daps
Think this could be a dope series if it works out. Im curious to see what the coli fam agrees on. Could be fun.

So first up, J Dilla vs 9th Wonder taking on Billy Paul- Let The Dollars Circulate

OG

Dilla

9th

I'll start by saying that both of these flips are incredibly dope hitting on two different angles. Dilla's flip is so much more technical, as it must have been a beast chopping up that vocal. 9th's flip is typical 9th but its one of his best. It just straight up knocks. Super tough choice but I think I would lean towards 9th.

James Dean

All Star
Daps
Dilla is the fukking man, but Dollas Circulate is one of 9th Wonder's hardest beats ever.

Dilla's get s a little bit repetitive faster, and 9th's knocks harder.

I really really prefer 9th Wonder's flip in this instance.

BTW Common almost rapped on 9th's version of the beat.
Whats the backstory on that with Common? Never heard that before.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Whats the backstory on that with Common? Never heard that before.
I'm not exactly sure why he didn't end up using it.

I was around the scene at that time. I just remember that originally the beat was used when Little Brother would come onto the stage for live shows. Later, a guy in Carolina named Panama Gat rapped on the best and actually made a pretty dope song out of it, but I don't think 9th actually sold it to him. The beat was floating around on SoulSeek and a few other places online (this was maybe 2003 or 2004.)

I just remember there was a point around the time of Be and Finding Forever where 9th was sending some beats to Common, and I remember hearing that Dollars Circulate might finally get rapped on.

Nothing came of it, though, and Common and Luda would rap over a 9th joint a few years later called Do The Right Thing.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Dilla is the fukking man, but Dollas Circulate is one of 9th Wonder's hardest beats ever.

Dilla's get s a little bit repetitive faster, and 9th's knocks harder.

I really really prefer 9th Wonder's flip in this instance.

BTW Common almost rapped on 9th's version of the beat.
beats are supposed to be repetitive so in that they dont outshine the mc or singer on it. I have been on a lot of forums reading reviews about beat competitions and people saying that beats are too repetitive, but in reality your favorite hip hop songs of all time have repetitive instrumentals that let the rapper shine. You don't want a beat changng every 2 bars. The standard is the 4 or the 8

there is no right or wrong answer. both are dope

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Dilla the GOAT, but 9th put his foot in that flip for real

JDilla_rare.jpg

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
beats are supposed to be repetitive so in that they dont outshine the mc or singer on it. I have been on a lot of forums reading reviews about beat competitions and people saying that beats are too repetitive, but in reality your favorite hip hop songs of all time have repetitive instrumentals that let the rapper shine. You don't want a beat changng every 2 bars. The standard is the 4 or the 8

there is no right or wrong answer. both are dope
Oh for sure. I used to produce and engineer. I have stacks of vinyl and am super into sampling.

I just like how 9th's verse section and chorus section is compared to Dilla's. I shouldn't have said repetitiveness. I just think the way Dilla flipped it isn't as interesting as how 9th did.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
Oh for sure. I used to produce and engineer. I have stacks of vinyl and am super into sampling.

I just like how 9th's verse section and chorus section is compared to Dilla's. I shouldn't have said repetitiveness. I just think the way Dilla flipped it isn't as interesting as how 9th did.
9th flip is way better

dilla’s beat a throwaway tho.