Who rapped better overall, Dot or Drake?

Not Crodie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a fun topic. I've gotta get it out the way first. Ghostwriters will ALWAYS be a fukking asterisk. And the fact that its not for many...kinda speaks to a key reason so many want him out the paint. But I digress. Putting that kinda off to the side?

I'm going Kendrick. I'll explain why shortly.

But for now, i'm gonna give Drake some flowers. I thought the second verse on Family Matters was fire. It was peak Drake. However, it was the best verse in a song where he should have been giving Kendrick "all of the curses" like Push asked for.

I chuckled at some of the short jokes for sure as far as shyt directed AT Kendrick. That "back to the curb" bar, the "beat her up cuz she's bigger than you". Was cute to me. I wasn't really feeling a lot of the Whitney based shyt. Just fell short for me.

"Where is your uncle at? I wanna talk to the man of the house". fukking fire lol. Like Family Matters was impressive. And if he was able to really dig in on Kendrick like he dug in on Rocky? Man.

The first verse on Heart Part 6 actually pisses me off on repeat listens. His flow and the way he rides the beat and the bars are so fukking nice...
Now I don't believe he's a war general but that whole scheme is just top notch. And then the about the moment where he goes "speaking to anything with a child"...it goes to shyt. I do love the "D Major" line a lot, and the last shot about it being safer for Whitney to hit him back. But he really fukks up his own song and its then that I was really like aiight pack it up.

I was never feeling Push Ups or Taylor Made like that. Sorry. I think altogether though, Drake performed well and had some nice shots. I do not find him versatile enough though and sometimes I found his shyt monotonous and really similar to the sound I grew tired of with him years ago. And then we get to Kendrick.

Kendrick was just so fukking versatile in delivery, tone, inflection, setting shyt up, entendres, references to earlier disses, and he was fukking funny, man. I chuckled at Drake's comedy bars. I LAUGHED at Kendrick's. That Sexxy Red, pop ass with em shyt? Comedy. WHAT IS IT THE BRAIDS?!? Comedy.
I was one of the few who wasn't actually impressed with the YMW Melly line like that. What impressed me more? "In 8 bars i'll clarify that phrase".

And then he proceeds to lead us INTO that 8th bar being the Melly line. The core audience, stomach, abs shyt.
Undressing Drake's adverse effects on the culture, Not Like Us being this joke song but that whole last verse as a mini history lesson in Atlanta leading to the colonizer bar? I think the daughter verse taints Meet the Grahams now (in the same way unsubstantiated claims taint some of the Drake moments), but that's also a showcase of versatility to me. I could go on. But this is an essay already.

TL:DR: Kendrick was painting in a bunch of different ways with different paints and materials on different canvases. Drake was really good at times with just painting his one way. Better than I thought he would be. But Kendrick is a far more creative and versatile rapper. I give Drake his credit though, he held his own...but that's when it comes back to that asterisk for me.
:yeshrug: Damn everything is accurate
Drake was, maybe for the first time in his career, "pretty good", but Kendrick was Outstanding
Killer Mike even compared him as the only artist that perfectly mastered both Andre 3000 and Big boi styles, both lyrically and flows wise

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
nikkas don’t wanna admit it but lyrically Drake had the better display of bars from song to song

Euphoria is right up there, it was the hungriest I heard Dot sound in a long time. But Drake had them writers writing some shyt

2nd verse on Family Matters is the peak of the whole beef
nikkas really downplay the technical skill that 2nd verse took.

AngryBaby

All Star
Daps
Nina’s talking about adlibs :dead:

Bar for bar Drake was better
Not just about bars. And even thats debateable. you guys need to remember, how you animate your lines, emote, ability to change tempo, speed etc matter.

Drake has one mode, as @Black Excellence said: arrogant unbothered. Thats it.

Listen to Euphoria then meet the grahams. Kendrick sounds like a different dude, knows how to inflect for the art he's making. Drake just is...monotone, and predictable with his flow and cadence. Never changes. Speed rarely changes also.

This shyt is a skill you can objectively observe; its like saying two stech artists are the same in skill when one cant shade, but you may like his overall picture better, but the guy who cant shade isnt as good as the guy who can.

AngryBaby

All Star
Daps
Drake actually rapped better if u actually speaking on actual raps. I stand by that.
He didnt show diversity. And was monotone.

He's never remotely animated. For example when kendrick said "I dont give a fukk who you hang with" in euphoria, he knew to...emphasize the line with emotion, whereas Drake comes off like hes just reading off a piece of paper.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
All I’m saying people put Kendrick on a pedestal lyrically and he’s supposed to be this super complex lyricist and he had no bars

As far the beef goes

Drake bars >>>> Kendrick bars

But move the goal posts however you please
Yall the ones moving the goal posts because yall hold Kendrick to a standard you don’t hold artists to. 2pac is my GOAT, despite not being the most complex lyricist. There’s more to rapping than bars and lines. Again, what was so complex about Takeover and Ether? I know what Jay and Nas are capable of, but on those two particular songs, they weren’t saying anything complex, yet one or both of those tracks are in most top 5 diss tracks ever. Why can’t Kendrick do it in his own style?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
This is a fun topic. I've gotta get it out the way first. Ghostwriters will ALWAYS be a fukking asterisk. And the fact that its not for many...kinda speaks to a key reason so many want him out the paint. But I digress. Putting that kinda off to the side?

I'm going Kendrick. I'll explain why shortly.

But for now, i'm gonna give Drake some flowers. I thought the second verse on Family Matters was fire. It was peak Drake. However, it was the best verse in a song where he should have been giving Kendrick "all of the curses" like Push asked for.

I chuckled at some of the short jokes for sure as far as shyt directed AT Kendrick. That "back to the curb" bar, the "beat her up cuz she's bigger than you". Was cute to me. I wasn't really feeling a lot of the Whitney based shyt. Just fell short for me.

"Where is your uncle at? I wanna talk to the man of the house". fukking fire lol. Like Family Matters was impressive. And if he was able to really dig in on Kendrick like he dug in on Rocky? Man.

The first verse on Heart Part 6 actually pisses me off on repeat listens. His flow and the way he rides the beat and the bars are so fukking nice...
Now I don't believe he's a war general but that whole scheme is just top notch. And then the about the moment where he goes "speaking to anything with a child"...it goes to shyt. I do love the "D Major" line a lot, and the last shot about it being safer for Whitney to hit him back. But he really fukks up his own song and its then that I was really like aiight pack it up.

I was never feeling Push Ups or Taylor Made like that. Sorry. I think altogether though, Drake performed well and had some nice shots. I do not find him versatile enough though and sometimes I found his shyt monotonous and really similar to the sound I grew tired of with him years ago. And then we get to Kendrick.

Kendrick was just so fukking versatile in delivery, tone, inflection, setting shyt up, entendres, references to earlier disses, and he was fukking funny, man. I chuckled at Drake's comedy bars. I LAUGHED at Kendrick's. That Sexxy Red, pop ass with em shyt? Comedy. WHAT IS IT THE BRAIDS?!? Comedy.
I was one of the few who wasn't actually impressed with the YMW Melly line like that. What impressed me more? "In 8 bars i'll clarify that phrase".

And then he proceeds to lead us INTO that 8th bar being the Melly line. The core audience, stomach, abs shyt.
Undressing Drake's adverse effects on the culture, Not Like Us being this joke song but that whole last verse as a mini history lesson in Atlanta leading to the colonizer bar? I think the daughter verse taints Meet the Grahams now (in the same way unsubstantiated claims taint some of the Drake moments), but that's also a showcase of versatility to me. I could go on. But this is an essay already.

TL:DR: Kendrick was painting in a bunch of different ways with different paints and materials on different canvases. Drake was really good at times with just painting his one way. Better than I thought he would be. But Kendrick is a far more creative and versatile rapper. I give Drake his credit though, he held his own...but that's when it comes back to that asterisk for me.
U left out the best scheme in Family Matters. The whole MJ scheme was fire.

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
Family Matters showed that people were fronting when Push Ups came out.
They were just happy the battle was finally happening but its levels below Family Matters

That's actually a good song and I'm happy Drake finally got rid of that writer that had him spitting in the Mandem voice every time he done Drill before :scust:

I never acknowledged Tayler Made :yeshrug:Buried Alive Interlude is...Heart 6 is Juelz GIF mixed with :unimpressed:

The fact that what I think is Kendrick's weakest diss is about to go number 1 and wrapped this up makes this an easy choice.

Last edited:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not gonna be disrespectful to any other poster for disagreeing with me, regardless what anyone says I don’t think this was a comple landslide, but me personally I don’t see how you’re listening to the second verse of Meet The Grahams, the Third verse of Not Like Us or the entirety of Euphoria and still coming to the conclusion that drake outrapped him, that’s crazy to me

To each his own :yeshrug: