Whut? Thee Album - 25 Year Anniversary

How many mics does Whut? Thee Album deserve?

• Total voters

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
October 6, 1992: Redman releases his debut album and certified classic, Whut? Thee Album.

1992_o0c30k.jpg

To me this is one of the greatest albums of all-time. The Erick Sermon mastery of p-funk is never more evident than it is on this LP. Redman's rhyme style at the time (and for any time for that matter) was so advanced and heavy with punchlines and rhetorical devices.

The loose concept is basic but so genius at the same time. The idea that this psychopath is visiting his doctor, Dr. Trevis, and is basically given a blank canvas mentally with which he can just draw up anything from his imagination and turn it into an album. I feel like each song on the album is a reflection of that.

You have the pure bangers like 'Time 4 Sum Aksion' and 'Hardcore', masterpieces in production like 'Tonite's Da Night' and 'Blow Your Mind', but also some super creative tracks like 'Rated R' and the introduction of the story series 'Soopaman Luver'.

Redman1.jpg

What are your thoughts on this album? For those old heads out there, what were your first experiences hearing this album? When and where did you buy it? What sort of reception did it get? If I recall correctly, I think Redman won Source Award for lyricist of the year for 1992 or something like that. What are your favourite tracks?

Let's celebrate the 25 year anniversary of this phenomenal debut release.
YzYVWA.gif

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I was already intrigued by the dude that appeared on Hardcore and Headbanger. I remember when this dropped and my cousin brought it over the crib I had to dub a copy on the spot. In a lot of ways the album was formatted on some east coast Death Certificate shyt. Redman was too ill. There’s like 22 tracks with almost no break in the rhymes and the songs just bleed right into the next one

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I was already intrigued by the dude that appeared on Hardcore and Headbanger. I remember when this dropped and my cousin brought it over the crib I had to dub a copy on the spot. In a lot of ways the album was formatted on some east coast Death Certificate shyt. Redman was too ill. There’s like 22 tracks with almost no break in the rhymes and the songs just bleed right into the next one

Redman was definitely drawing inspiration from Cube in many ways. Maybe not from a rapping stylistic standpoint, but he sampled his voice a lot, including on this LP.

"Get your gang cause I fight with more Power than Chuck D
Chuck D, from Public Enemy?
Yeah, he's a friend of me
The one that says "Brothers and Sisters"
Yeah, but he's no kin to me"

Redman meets Reggie Noble was my shyt

Did Reggie use the same sample on this track like BDK did with Ain't No Half Steppin? Also one of my favourite tracks, and was a gateway track to so many rappers who use multiple personas whether on individual tracks or just as rapping entities as a whole.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
"Get your gang cause I fight with more Power than Chuck D
Chuck D, from Public Enemy?
Yeah, he's a friend of me
The one that says "Brothers and Sisters"
Yeah, but he's no kin to me"

Redman meets Reggie Noble was my shyt
Idk but it’s on my top lip so crack jokes and pop shyt
Just get it off my top lip or Reggie you’ll get drop kicked
:mjlol:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Redman was definitely drawing inspiration from Cube in many ways. Maybe not from a rapping stylistic standpoint, but he sampled his voice a lot, including on this LP.

Did Reggie use the same sample on this track like BDK did with Ain't No Half Steppin? Also one of my favourite tracks, and was a gateway track to so many rappers who use multiple personas whether on individual tracks or just as rapping entities as a whole.
Yep, Blind Alley by the Emotions

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Erick Sermon stepped it up a notch for this album. Loved EPMDs Business Never Personal and Das Efx’s Dead Serious but Whut Thee Album was on another level production wise. Some of the tracks you can hear like 4-5 songs being sampled. In 92 the Hit Squad was the best crew doing it