Whut? Thee Album - 25 Year Anniversary

How many mics does Whut? Thee Album deserve?

• Total voters

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
redman_source1192.jpg

I'll never understand in a million years why this album didn't get 5 mics.
The Source was super stingy with those 5 mics at the time
:russ:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I got life stories related to this album. A couple years after this dropped me and my homeboy got a hold of some weed. We were like 13 and had already smoked a couple times but this was the first time we got a hold of our own. We were having trouble rolling a Phillie so we put on How To Roll A Blunt and tried to follow the instructions
:mjlol:

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
redman_source1192.jpg

I'll never understand in a million years why this album didn't get 5 mics.

From the review it is evident the dude took half a mic off for skits.

But I don't understand it either....and those skits were great. The funky uncles ice cream segment, the police arrest, the news break, the superman lover interview....they were all well placed throughout the album imo. Even the halfway point where that woman is telling him to relax. It's halfway thru the album and is very deliberate, letting the dude recompose his thoughts and continue with the rest of the album.

Erick Sermon stepped it up a notch for this album. Loved EPMDs Business Never Personal and Das Efx’s Dead Serious but Whut Thee Album was on another level production wise. Some of the tracks you can hear like 4-5 songs being sampled. In 92 the Hit Squad was the best crew doing it

Agreed. This album sounds more layered sonically than its predecessors.

Also I think RZA mentioned (I wish I could find the source for this) about how influential the make-up of the Hit Squad were for his formation of the Wu-Tang Clan.

I know Redman himself mentioned it: Redman Says Hit Squad Opened The Door For Wu-Tang Clan, Odd Future & Young Money

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This thread is motivation to get up and start the day with one of the best let's get it started records ever.

Time4sumaksion

Art Barr

*album is still this event to me and I still remember if I started time4sum aktion just as I sat on the bus. Watch yo nuggets would come on right as I got off the bus for first period before 745am in high school.

Plus this was the best day I ever bought rap albums in my history.
As chronic, can I borrow a dollar and whut were all first day in the store on October 5.

I was in rap album bliss that day.

Art Barr

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I got life stories related to this album. A couple years after this dropped me and my homeboy got a hold of some weed. We were like 13 and had already smoked a couple times but this was the first time we got a hold of our own. We were ha omg trouble rolling a Phillie so we put on How To Roll A Blunt and tried to follow the instructions

btw @Art Barr I know you're a huge fan of the Tonite's Da Nite remix. When did it come out?

All I know is that I got CD versions of both Whut? and Dare iz a Darkside and the remix is put on both those albums.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I got life stories related to this album. A couple years after this dropped me and my homeboy got a hold of some weed. We were like 13 and had already smoked a couple times but this was the first time we got a hold of our own. We were ha omg trouble rolling a Phillie so we put on How To Roll A Blunt and tried to follow the instructions
slow-lol-zoom.gif

Post of the year.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
This thread is motivation to get up and start the day with one of the best let's get it started records ever.

Time4sumaksion

Art Barr

*album is still this event to me and I still remember if I started time4sum aktion just as I sat on the bus. Watch yo nuggets would come on right as I got off the bus for first period before 745am in high school.

Plus this was the best day I ever bought rap albums in my history.
As chronic, can I borrow a dollar and whut were all first day in the store on October 5.

I was in rap album bliss that day.

Art Barr
On my way to the gym. About to get it in to this

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
On my way to the gym. About to get it in to this

I got a make up day.
I actually missed s workout day on Thursday when I went to see blade runner.
Blade runner was so exhausting. I just wanted to go to sleep.
Been trying to makeup this workout since.
Gon be a back to back with today and Sunday.

This Redman thread js motivation to go blaze and l tho and I can not lift high on my antique ass bench. I get to noid that old shyt gon fall on me high so I gotta get this makeup day. Prey for the breh, breh.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

btw @Art Barr I know you're a huge fan of the Tonite's Da Nite remix. When did it come out?

All I know is that I got CD versions of both Whut? and Dare iz a Darkside and the remix is put on both those albums.

Tonite the nite came out on the maxis single in like the best remix era for music of any genre. Let be clear tho...
It was on the white label promo that hpk had that was not available till this maxi single. So it was this Redman song you had to wait to get too. It has that mysterious bside mystique that a great great legendary obscure record is supposed to have.

Every single was can't miss back then. especially any dope emcee because that is the whole Pete rock remix era and the imma snap on a level that can never be touched type remix emcee shyt.
The five years after this whole time period for rap just illustrates the drop off in quality if you look at it.

Art Barr