Why are there barely any young black adults in church?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
I'm a born again Christian. I recently left the church I grew up at after spending almost every Sunday there since 1999. I left because I'm too old to be in the youth group anymore (13-19) and my church has literally ZERO young adults besides myself. In addition to that, I love my pastor to death BUT I don't feel like his message really resonates with me. He tailors his sermon for the old people in the church. The congregation is 60% old people in their 60s & 70s, 30% people in their 30s & 40s, and 10% are the kids/grandkids of the aforementioned groups.

I then set out for my new church home. I've found several churches with LOTS of young people in the congregation, and I've found several black churches. Here's the problem I've kept running into:

-THE YOUNG CHURCHES ARE ALL WHITE/WHITE-PASSING LATINOS, AND I DON'T WANNA BE IN A ROOM FULL OF TRUMP VOTERS
-THE BLACK CHURCHES ARE ALL FULL OF OLD FARTS THAT CAN'T & WON'T RELATE TO ME

This is all extremely irritating to deal with. Can't no place give me that home feeling like a black church, but I need a place with a young adult small group that can empathize with my daily struggle as a young Christian prone to weakness in an unclean world.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Because young black people or young people in general ain't as gullible

Tombout 40 day floods while predators and their prey peacefully coexist on a boat :dahell:

I fukks with the Bible and think it has gems in it but the fact most Bible believers take the stories literally and expect others to is why they get the :camby: this generation

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm a born again Christian. I recently left the church I grew up at after spending almost every Sunday there since 1999. I left because I'm too old to be in the youth group anymore (13-19) and my church has literally ZERO young adults besides myself. In addition to that, I love my pastor to death BUT I don't feel like his message really resonates with me. He tailors his sermon for the old people in the church. The congregation is 60% old people in their 60s & 70s, 30% people in their 30s & 40s, and 10% are the kids/grandkids of the aforementioned groups.

I then set out for my new church home. I've found several churches with LOTS of young people in the congregation, and I've found several black churches. Here's the problem I've kept running into:

-THE YOUNG CHURCHES ARE ALL WHITE/WHITE-PASSING LATINOS, AND I DON'T WANNA BE IN A ROOM FULL OF TRUMP VOTERS
-THE BLACK CHURCHES ARE ALL FULL OF OLD FARTS THAT CAN'T & WON'T RELATE TO ME

This is all extremely irritating to deal with. Can't no place give me that home feeling like a black church, but I need a place with a young adult small group that can empathize with my daily struggle as a young Christian prone to weakness in an unclean world.
that's kind of the problem with the outreach in general

that perspective has zero resonance with a younger generation

you can be religious and have a wide umbrella - black churches aren't normally going on mission trips, traveling far, bringing in people from other areas, etc. can't blame the kids for not wanting to be a part of that

bx.lion

Banned
Daps
Black Christtianity needs to clean up it's perception of pastors milking the congregation. Most young black people are agnostic at worst and wouldn't mind popping in for a week or two. But I feel ppl draw the line with the blatant money grabs going on in some churches.