Will there be a period of mass emigration from the US in the coming decades?

Will there be a period of mass emigration from the US in the coming decades?

• Total voters

Nagarjuna

All Star
Daps
Yes. But as someone said the broke and poor ain't going nowhere (because they can't).

It's already happening. People with competitive salaries/high wage earners are already buying property in different countries now. That's not a thing of the "super wealthy" anymore.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Id rather be poor abroad than supposedly in the land of plenty with cacs boots on my neck non stop..

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
If you’re gonna do it you better do it now. Prices are already increasing in these areas and it’s only going to get worse. Buy your land now. Buy two-three plots if you can and flip one for extra income. A lot of these places don’t do mortgages so build your house little by little as you can. While you’re building your house research what’s needed to pursue permanent residency in said country, and get all your ducks in a row. You’re already seeing it in parts of Mexico, Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Don’t get caught lackin :ufdup:

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
I dont think you guys understand just how badly folks want to come to america and live, literally hundreds of thousands of people are intercepted at the U.S borders, that's minus those overstaying their visas. People desperately want to come to the U.S.A above any other country in the world, for all its ills, its still see by immigrants as the land of bread and honey and opportunity.

Send them my way. I have a new billion dollar factory going up and I need people to run my machines.

Phitz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why I laugh at the xenophobic mofos on this site.

Quiet as it's kept there are more IMMIGRANTS leaving than coming in tbh, they always say immigrants coming to US, but right now America is not the preferred spot. Places like Australia and New Zealand are preferred if anything, or even going to other developing countries that may be a higher tier.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
It depends on what jobs are like in other countries, what if I wanted to work at nasa or Boeing, I don’t think it’s an equivalent to boeing unless I go to uk and none of the foreign countries letting outsiders into government agencies

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Based off this reddit comment that I saw on the Mexico City expat article that went viral:

I'm in the USA but quite close to Mexico culturally and geographically.

I'm not defending one side or the other. I do think it's revealing, though, to consider why many people are moving from the USA: life here is getting objectively worse. A lot of people are moving in a panic. They can't afford a house in many major cities on their $75,000/year salary, but a nice apartment in CDMX with all the great things that it has to offer is within reach. The US is so polarized as to feel like it's on the cusp of a new Civil War, so people here are no longer talking about "political instability" in Mexico the way they used to. Inflation is hitting Mexico, but many parts of the US are getting hit even harder with negative cash flow. With rents rising and jobs becoming more demanding, leaving seems like the best way to save and retire.

Again, I'm not defending one side or the other. I understand that gentrifying has negative consequences (it priced me out of the housing market), and I understand that mass migration, particularly without great taxation, can have a negative effect on the most vulnerable. I just hope that you can all see that this isn't just a case of gringos wanting to live like kings and noticing that they can go to CDMX. It's being treated like a problem of digital nomads, but they're just the lucky ones who can leave easily. I think it's honestly the beginning of a wave of emigration from a country that is falling in the HDI, where wages are rising but purchasing power is falling, where political tensions are high, and where violence and corruption are increasingly widespread. People just want out.

Think what's he saying is true?
Flee the instability of the US to go to...Mexico? This is nonsense.

There will be no long term emigration from the US. If you can't buy a house on a 75k salary in NY or LA, you can buy one throughout the midwest, south, east coast, northeast, etc.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i just did the math on this. Looks like I'd be cashflow positive by several thousand per month if i pulled this off:ehh::obama:

But My spanish level is ass, so id sadly be limited to the old Brittish Empire.:francis:

It depends on what jobs are like in other countries, what if I wanted to work at nasa or Boeing, I don’t think it’s an equivalent to boeing unless I go to uk and none of the foreign countries letting outsiders into government agencies
Most folks who do this dont really wanna work in a foreign country for foreigners. Its a hassle to learn a new system and work culture. It seems to me that work-from-home guys or internet-business entrepreneurs are the ones doing this. So if you were a boeing or Seimens computer/data scientist or did desk work for them, then its possible to do the same work abroad if you got a decent internet connection.

Also, it would defeat the purpose of moving if local people were paid equivalent wages to what you are are paid domesticly in America.

Last edited:

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
I have a stamped passport but I'm staying my ass here, don't see the need jack up prices and I ain't tryna learn Twi or Portuguese :yeshrug: