You all know a lot of people aren't going back to their jobs right?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Maybe me too if I get furloughed:yeshrug: I dodged two bullets so far

I was talking to two different people this week with the same story. My friend that works for a large non-bank service company and a big manufacturing supplier I work with at my job. Both just had brutal layoffs and furloughs and both confided in me the driving force is management sees the company still running with this remote working situation and so they are going to push it to the max to see how few people they can get by with.

It is going farther this time than just laying off folks, since of course corporate America been doing this for a generation. Now they are serious about selling buildings or breaking office leases where possible and getting rid as many assets like company cars, etc. as possible so people don't have to come back to the office on a regular basis. Many management teams are seeing huge productivity improvements in stretching out this new normal after COVID even if business does come back somewhat.

Ironically the service workers at restaurants and stuff may have a more realistic view of how bad their situation than many office folk who see this as a big time to chill. Factory and trade workers aren't being let go as easily though.

Just saying, don't splurge all the unemployment or partial salary you getting now, we are about to get a rude awakening.:francis:

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
tommy-ford-martin-show-400x259.jpg

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Can’t have 50 million Americans collecting unemployment. America can’t afford it. Something has to give.
This is why other countries look at us as the laughing stock of the world while the government continues to spend trillions on the military.

America can afford it. It just doesn't want to.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am going back. I expect 40 hour work weeks on site with no possibility of working from home EVER AGAIN. Only change will be wearing a mask and not leaving the workplace unless its work related or going home.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
Can’t have 50 million Americans collecting unemployment. America can’t afford it. Something has to give.

And there will be fewer service industry jobs (with social distancing and capacity restrictions) fewer retail jobs (with online shopping and social distancing), fewer low skill jobs with automation...:wow:

Lots of Americans gonna be food :francis:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I mean I thought this was well known? Furloughs are just a way for corporate to get out of paying severance to its employees and preserve their cash on hand.

Look at it this way. If Company A lays off 50 people it has to pay severance + unused PTO. That can easily amount to 3 months of salary for 50 workers.

However, if they furlough those 50 people for say 3 months, the company is betting at least some of those people would have found jobs elsewhere and would not be owed severance, just unused PTO.

Last edited:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
My job is adamant about going to the office, they just paid a shyt ton of relo's for people and rented some additional floors right before CV hit. They prefer in person collaboration as a big part of company culture.

But I definitely see it hitting a lot of companies and industries accordingly and not being as fortunate as my company.