You all know a lot of people aren't going back to their jobs right?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Many companies have too many layers of fat. This crisis has exposed that and a lot of redundancy in staff will be addressed.

Middle managers will be food.
I'm seeing the opposite in Technology Departments that were already severely understaffed before the pandemic.

Now companies aren't even refilling recently vacated jobs. Nor hiring contractors or interns to lighten the workload. They feel like this is the perfect time to double or triple the workload on current employees. Because they feel nobody is hiring right now and they have a captive audience.

My company started 2 major projects in the last few months yet isn't even thinking about increasing headcount. And this despite a lead Architect leaving months ago when the shelter-in-place orders began. They claim to still be working on his job description for 3 months now. And that's why it hasn't been posted.
:unimpressed:

But they're looking for volunteers to take over his job duties with no pay increase.
:gucci:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
This is why other countries look at us as the laughing stock of the world while the government continues to spend trillions on the military.

America can afford it. It just doesn't want to.
This is why you have to look ahead and be proactive.

I left my old company in September 2017 shortly after the company announced its closure set for December 31, 2017.

Most people stayed pat saying things like "Imma ride this til the wheels fall off". Their thinking was that there was going to be some huge severance package on the way out.

When it was all said and done, they ended up getting 2 weeks severance (basically another paycheck and a trip to the unemployment line. :mjlol:

Suckerz.

I got that job offer and took it with the quickness. Quit on Friday and started on Monday.:youngsabo:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
I had a conversation about the coming of automation decimating the workforce with a CFO a year ago or so. He brushed it off and said "people thought the same about computers, it won't be a big deal" knowing full well once his ass sees the numbers they would be laying off people left and right

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I always find that ironic cause the other developed countries of the world are also completely in debt and have horrible wealth gap ratios too. All these countries can't help their people with fiat, we need currencies with value.
I'm just advocating for real social safety nets. We can't expect Americans to continually be asked to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and figure it out for themselves in the middle of a disaster when other countries are giving monthly unemployment stipends and have universal healthcare.
:yeshrug:

Meanwhile we have to rely on this failing for profit healthcare system in a country where most are uninsured. And if you lose your job where thats your source of healthcare you're fukked. I'm unemployed right now and have no insurance and to actually get realistic healthcare in this country costs an arm and a leg. Tens of millions of people are about to lose their employer provided health insurance.

I honestly can't believe that we have people on here that legit just advocate for this failing system. Telling others to just go fend for themselves instead of trying to make radical changes to this system that fails way too many people and to advocate for more rights for workers. Thats why America is doomed to fail.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I'm seeing the opposite in Technology Departments that were already severely understaffed before the pandemic.

Now companies aren't even refilling recently vacated jobs. Nor hiring contractors or interns to lighten the workload. They feel like this is the perfect time to double or triple the workload on current employees. Because they feel nobody is hiring right now and they have a captive audience.

My company started 2 major projects in the last few months yet isn't even thinking about increasing headcount. And this despite a lead Architect leaving months ago when the shelter-in-place orders began. They claim to still be working on his job description for 3 months now. And that's why it hasn't been posted.

But they're looking for volunteers to take over his job duties with no pay increase.

That's what I heard from a sales guy. They gave him a while new product line and customer base with no more pay or promotion.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute

The people actually doing the work will be fine. Middle (people) managers are the people at risk.

Companies will use this opportunity to go flat. Have many employees reporting up to one main manager as opposed to having a bunch of middle managers.

Team leads will be designated and they’ll basically do the work of middle managers without the title and major bump in pay—while also juggling their load as individual contributors.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The people actually doing the work will be fine. Middle (people) managers are the people at risk.

Companies will use this opportunity to go flat. Have many employees reporting up to one main manager as opposed to having a bunch of middle managers.

Team leads will be designated and they’ll basically do the work of middle managers without the title and major bump in pay—while also juggling their load as individual contributors.
This is most middle management in a nutshell. Completely useless except as the guard dogs in the Corporate office who's all bark no bite. If anybody gets the ax first it should be them. At my previous job these fools would have meetings 5 or 6hrs a day yet never make any major decisions. Just talk about what needed to get done. But zero clue how to implement any of it in a timely fashion.
:francis:

Work-From-Home Might Prove Managers Are No Longer Necessary

Our recent shift to work-from-home is revealing something many companies don’t know how to handle yet—that many employees don’t actually need to be managed. They’re good at their jobs whether someone is looking over their shoulder or not. In fact, since this pandemic began, I’ve received countless inquiries from people all over the world responding to recent posts of mine about how the working world is changing—and how they’ll need to change with it.

“I’m actually starting to wonder what value I add,” admitted Sean, a high-level marketing manager. “My team is doing everything we did before, but without me. I have little input in the work itself. And, their results are just as good as they were before we were quarantined. Am I still necessary? Are managers still necessary?”

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
This is most middle management in a nutshell. Completely useless except as the guard dogs in the Corporate office who's all bark no bite. If anybody gets the ax first it should be them. At my previous job these fools would have meetings 5 or 6hrs a day yet never make any major decisions. Just talk about what needed to get done. But zero clue how to implement any of it in a timely fashion.
:francis:

Our recent shift to work-from-home is revealing something many companies don’t know how to handle yet—that many employees don’t actually need to be managed. They’re good at their jobs whether someone is looking over their shoulder or not. In fact, since this pandemic began, I’ve received countless inquiries from people all over the world responding to recent posts of mine about how the working world is changing—and how they’ll need to change with it.

“I’m actually starting to wonder what value I add,” admitted Sean, a high-level marketing manager. “My team is doing everything we did before, but without me. I have little input in the work itself. And, their results are just as good as they were before we were quarantined. Am I still necessary? Are managers still necessary?”

Facts!

Article sums it up, perfectly.