10 Reasons Lupe Fiasco Is Overrated

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
i've heard a lot of rappers talk about that audience thing

jay dumbing shyt down

nore saying "i can use big words and rap like that if i want.. but my fans are on the block and shyt.. what the fukk they want to hear that for"

keith murray saying erick sermon hated his flow and told him stop using those big ass words

gza saying he hates these new rappers that need to over explain shyt to seem deep. "nikkas be like i got in the red car, turned the key, sat back in the plush seat, put my foot on the pedal, went to see my girl, she has brown hair...." when they could have said "hopped in the car to go see my girl"

the fact that SUPER lyricism never sells shyt

i mean i get that you want to display your skills.. but are you displaying them cause it's YOU.. or are you sitting around with a simple line, trying to complicate the shyt out of it, to be "lyrical"

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i've heard a lot of rappers talk about that audience thing

jay dumbing shyt down

nore saying "i can use big words and rap like that if i want.. but my fans are on the block and shyt.. what the fukk they want to hear that for"

keith murray saying erick sermon hated his flow and told him stop using those big ass words

gza saying he hates these new rappers that need to over explain shyt to seem deep. "nikkas be like i got in the red car, turned the key, sat back in the plush seat, put my foot on the pedal, went to see my girl, she has brown hair...." when they could have said "hopped in the car to go see my girl"

the fact that SUPER lyricism never sells shyt

i mean i get that you want to display your skills.. but are you displaying them cause it's YOU.. or are you sitting around with a simple line, trying to complicate the shyt out of it, to be "lyrical"

Interesting. Super lyricism can work, but it needs the other elements there, Big Pun was a super lyricist but highly effective. Lupe isn't being super lyrical right now, he's dropping pointless puzzle raps, that isn't being lyrical, at least in a dope/effective way. The only thing genius about it is that he may have found the cure for insomnia.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone who does think he's overrated go and read his album thread though lmao. Dudes are saying it's the best album of the decade lmao. 0.5 mic album to me, Yeezus might be better... so if that's the case I'm in the overrated camp. But at times he's underrated too, certain songs that are dope but not puzzle raps people underrate where he delivers, then overrate the puzzle raps simply because they are puzzle raps.

Ruler, you reckon dudes are overrating his album, which is fine. It's your opinion. But then in the same breath saying its 0.5 mic album, you doing the same shyt in reverse. You underrating the album. I don't believe you would truly rate it that low. And worse than Yeezus :ufdup:

This album ain't gonna be for everyone. Some people ain't got time for figuring shyt out, again cool. Ain't for you, keep it moving.

But some like to sit with an album and dissect it. Lupe a talented dude breh.

And I ain't no super Lupe fan.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ruler, you reckon dudes are overrating his album, which is fine. It's your opinion. But then in the same breath saying its 0.5 mic album, you doing the same shyt in reverse. You underrating the album. I don't believe you would truly rate it that low. And worse than Yeezus :ufdup:

This album ain't gonna be for everyone. Some people ain't got time for figuring shyt out, again cool. Ain't for you, keep it moving.

But some like to sit with an album and dissect it. Lupe a talented dude breh.

And I ain't no super Lupe fan.

Nah, that's what I mean, I really do rate it that low, it's unlistenable to me, it doesn't even have 1 song I like. I really dislike this album, it's horrible to me. It's a real mess. It's just my opinion though, like F&L2 which I know there is debate about would probably rate that 4 mics, so it's nothing about the artist, but this particular album. I never said Lupe didn't have talent, infact I said the reverse, I said he does have talent, that just makes the album more disappointing to me. I don't just think the album is not dope, I think it's really bad, there's not 1 song I fully like, at least on Yeezus I actually did like Bound 2. It was absolutely unlistenable to me and torturous to listen to. I'm keeping it moving, haven't been constantly posting or thinking about Lupe.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Article has no valid points, and besides why would Lupe be "overrated", its not like he gets the same attention as a Drake, Cole, or Kendrick does nowadays....Whoever wrote this article should of titled the article "10 reasons why I dislike Lupe music"

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, that's what I mean, I really do rate it that low, it's unlistenable to me, it doesn't even have 1 song I like. I really dislike this album, it's horrible to me. It's a real mess. It's just my opinion though, like F&L2 which I know there is debate about would probably rate that 4 mics, so it's nothing about the artist, but this particular album. I never said Lupe didn't have talent, infact I said the reverse, I said he does have talent, that just makes the album more disappointing to me. I don't just think the album is not dope, I think it's really bad, there's not 1 song I fully like, at least on Yeezus I actually did like Bound 2. It was absolutely unlistenable to me and torturous to listen to. I'm keeping it moving, haven't been constantly posting or thinking about Lupe.

Aight, that's your personal opinion, which of course your entitled to. But i'm sure you can appreciate rating it 0.5 mics a lot of people won't take your opinion on this album seriously, just like you don't take some peoples opinion seriously in that thread.

Forget all the puzzle rap for a minute, you seriously listen to Mural and think that shyt is straight trash? You can't appreciate Lupe rappin his ass off on that track?

On a basic level it's some dope production on the album and lupe ain't sloppy in the slightest.

It's pretty obvious your opinion is not going to change, but i'm struggling you believe you think its 0.5 bad

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm listening to it again now though, but with better quality this time, so let's see if I feel different....

The mix and sound sounds better on this version, quality of it sounds good. On Mural he's technically rapping well (I said originally he wasn't rapping bad on this either). But the lyrics aren't captivating, I really like the beat though. A lot of the wordplay sounds forced and corny though, the whole rain shyt... I've heard this style done much better before. The actual technical rapping aspect as far as spitting is fine on this though.

Blur My Hands, don't like the inflections, not a listenable song. Awkward delivery at times. Again finding it wanting to finish. It's really random, like some of the shyt he will do vocally is just unnecessary and detracting. It sounds like it's trying to overcomplicate all aspects of the song, deliver/inflections etc and doesn't sound natural nor enjoyable due to this.

Dots & Lines, random shyt at the beginning, I like the beat, even the hook delivery but not the lyrics. This song disappoints me because I think it had potential to be very good. Beat is dope. Then he fukks it up again with some of the awkward conformative delivery. So overall the song has potential and hints at becoming something dope with potential but all the other flaws seem to ruin it. Some of the bars on the last verse not sure about, sounds like it's just to fit in the flow at times rather than have some potency to it. Again hits and misses, touches on things but misses.

Prisoner 1&2, don't like the delivery or inflections again, it sounds very awkward the song, beats on the album aren't bad at all though. The hook on this is fine too, no issues with that. I can see why I would find this frustrating, cause again I want to like it, cause things I like about it but it's flaws come and ruin it for me. Adlibs are awkward too, which is a theme throughout the album. The length of some of the songs while not captivating me is probably 1 of the reasons want it to finish so much. Again it hints at being good but never does it consistently to make it enjoyable. He's often trying to do too much.

Body Of Work, rapping well on the first verse, I liked the first verse, don't like the hook. I can completely understand why I felt like I felt on the first listen, it's frustrating, may like something then something ruins it. Next verse is fine, hook though not doing it for me. Last verse though the inflections and delivery again hamper my enjoyment of it and some of the rhyming seems forced.

Little Death, like the beat, awkward delivery again, like the sound of the hook. Second verse has some problems with inflections again but then touches on some good shyt, so hit and miss consistently, never consistent.

No Scratches, inflections again are a problem straight away, sounds weird and awkward and not conducive to making a good song. Some of the hooks sound really samey. Not captivating again. Was waiting for more from the last verse too but didn't happen.

Chopper, beat is fine, don't like the hook. First verse forgettable, second verse is good flow wise, and it's a good verse, dude Buk? His verse is dope. Don't like the Lupe inflections on the chorus. Third verse ok, 2nd part of it is a bit better than the first I feel. As I said at the time I like Trae Tha Truth's verse, nice, he's dope. Next verse good too. Next verse is ok. Lupe's verse again isn't really captivating me again. As I said at the time a few bars that are ok in the latter stages, but overall no.

Deliver first verse don't like, second verse is good, as I said at the time. But as a song it's not something could listen to, everything seems to have a problem with it, which was my initial impression, even the good parts have like flaws somewhere in the song that damage the enjoyability to me. Flow on the last verse starts ok, but don't like the flow switch. Only verse that really interested me was the second.

Madonna forgettable. Wanting it to hurry up and finish. Too much corny inflections and delivery. Unlistenable to me, impossible to enjoy and jarring my head. Actually giving me a headache from being so annoying. It's messy.

Adoration Of The Magi, I like the beat, has obviously the corniest lyric probably on the whole album lol. Don't like the bars, don't like the inflections. Really don't like this song, shyt like this is what the makes the album as a whole unlistenable. Not impressing me. Makes me want an instrumental album instead. Horrible delivery and inflections. Some of this shyt is awkward for the sake of it. Highly annoying unlistenable song. I can see why I disliked it upon first listen. Some bad multies too that aren't effective. Unlistenable song that again gives me headache and just want to finish as soon as possible.

So I can completely understand why I felt how I felt, and I still do, there's not 1 song I can comfortably fully enjoy. The moments of it capturing me are either non existent or far too few and far between. It's mixed and mastered well, the quality sounds good and much better on this version which is good for the album and the beats sounds even better hearing them full quality. That being said I would upgrade my rating to a 2 mic album, it sounded even worse not in the best quality, some of the beats are really good, and there's some aspects that are good but overall it's missing.

Last edited:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aight, that's your personal opinion, which of course your entitled to. But i'm sure you can appreciate rating it 0.5 mics a lot of people won't take your opinion on this album seriously, just like you don't take some peoples opinion seriously in that thread.

Forget all the puzzle rap for a minute, you seriously listen to Mural and think that shyt is straight trash? You can't appreciate Lupe rappin his ass off on that track?

On a basic level it's some dope production on the album and Lupe ain't sloppy in the slightest.

It's pretty obvious your opinion is not going to change, but i'm struggling you believe you think its 0.5 bad

I just listened again at better quality. I don't really care if anyone takes my opinion seriously, I'm not saying it for anyone else, just saying it cause it's my opinion. That's the thing, it's all opinions so no-one should get too hurt by someone's opinion on an album.

I don't think I said I think Mural is straight trash completely, I like the beat and the rapping technically is fine for the most part, but don't like the lyrics at all. Not potent to me at all. if you're going to make such a long song it has to captivate you, doesn't do it for me, I've heard better songs lyrically that are longer and more complex that interest me for the whole track.

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm listening to it again now though, but with better quality this time, so let's see if I feel different....

The mix and sound sounds better on this version, quality of it sounds good. On Mural he's technically rapping well (I said originally he wasn't rapping bad on this either). But the lyrics aren't captivating, I really like the beat though. A lot of the wordplay sounds forced and corny though, the whole rain shyt... I've heard this style done much better before. The actual technical rapping aspect as far as spitting is fine on this though.

Blur My Hands, don't like the inflections, not a listenable song. Awkward delivery at times. Again finding it wanting to finish. It's really random, like some of the shyt he will do vocally is just unnecessary and detracting. It sounds like it's trying to overcomplicate all aspects of the song, deliver/inflections etc and doesn't sound natural nor enjoyable due to this.

Dots & Lines, random shyt at the beginning, I like the beat, even the hook delivery but not the lyrics. This song disappoints me because I think it had potential to be very good. Beat is dope. Then he fukks it up again with some of the awkward conformative delivery. So overall the song has potential and hints at becoming something dope with potential but all the other flaws seem to ruin it. Some of the bars on the last verse not sure about, sounds like it's just to fit in the flow at times rather than have some potency to it. Again hits and misses, touches on things but misses.

Prisoner 1&2, don't like the delivery or inflections again, it sounds very awkward the song, beats on the album aren't bad at all though. The hook on the is fine too, no issues with that. I can see why I would find this frustrating, cause again I want to like it, cause things I like about it but it's flaws come and ruin it for me. Adlibs are awkward too, which is a theme throughout the album. The length of some of the songs while not captivating me is probably 1 of the reasons want it to finish so much. Again it hints at being good but never does it consistently to make it enjoyable. He's often trying to do too much.

Body Of Work, rapping well on the first verse, I liked the first verse, don't like the hook. I can completely understand why I felt like felt on the first listen, it's frustrating, may like something then something ruins it. Next verse is fine, hook though not doing it for me. Last verse though the inflections and delivery again hamper my enjoyment of it and some of the rhyming seems forced.

Little Death, like the beat, awkward delivery again, like the sound of the hook. Second verse has some problems with inflections again but then touches on some good shyt, so hit and miss consistently, never consistent.

No Scratches, inflections again are a problem straight away, sounds weird and awkward and not conducive to making a good song. Some of the hooks sound really samey. Not captivating again. Was waiting for more from the last verse too but didn't happen.

Chopper, beat is fine, don't like the hook. First verse forgettable, second verse is good flow wise, and it's a good verse, dude Buk? His verse is dope. Don't like the Lupe inflections on the chorus. Third verse ok, 2nd part of it is a bit better than the first I feel. As I said at the time I like Trae Tha Truth's verse, nice, he's dope. Next verse good too. Next verse is ok. Lupe's verse again isn't really captivating me again. As I said at the time a few bars that are ok in the latter stages, but overall no.

Deliver first verse don't like, second verse is good, as I said at the time. But as a song it's nothing something could listen too, everything seems to have a problem with it, which was my initial impression, even the good parts have like flaws somewhere in the song that damage the enjoyability to me. Flow on the last verse starts ok, but don't like the flow switch. Only verse that really interested me was the second.

Madonna forgettable. Wanting it to hurry up and finish. To much corny inflections and delivery. Unlistenable to me, impossible to enjoy and jarring my head. Actually giving me a headache from being so annoying. It's messy.

Adoration Of The Magi, I like the beat, has obviously the corniest lyric probably on the whole album lol. Don't like the bars, don't like the inflections. Really don't like this song, just like this is what the makes the album as a whole unlistenable. Not impressing me. Makes me want an instrumental album instead. Horrible delivery and inflections. Some of this shyt is awkward for the sake of it. Highly annoying unlistenable song. I can see why I disliked it upon first listen. Some bad multies too that aren't effective. Unlistenable song that again gives me headache and just want to finish as soon as possible.

So I can completely understand why I felt how I felt, and I still do, there's not 1 song I can comfortably fully enjoy. The moments of it capturing me are either non existent or far too few and far between it. It's mixed and mastered well, the quality sounds good and much better on this version which is good for the album and the beats sounds even better hearing them full quality. That being said I would upgrade my rating to a 2 mic album, it sounded even worse not in the best quality, some of the beats are really good, and there's some aspects that are good but overall it's missing.

Had to dap & rep you for being able to get thru that atrocious album
neGkllz.png

3 songs and i was done.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had to dap & rep you for being able to get thru that atrocious album
neGkllz.png

3 songs and i was done.

I deserve some kind of medal or trophy for endurance lol. People kept talking to me about it, so thought would listen to it again, especially at full quality now so I could hear it more accurately, the flaws are still there. I think the good mix and master/quality helps the album as it gives an illusion of quality that often isn't there. at least in the artist, some of the beats are dope.

blackslash

Superstar
Daps

Prisoner 1&2, don't like the delivery or inflections again, it sounds very awkward the song, beats on the album aren't bad at all though. The hook on this is fine too, no issues with that. I can see why I would find this frustrating, cause again I want to like it, cause things I like about it but it's flaws come and ruin it for me. Adlibs are awkward too, which is a theme throughout the album. The length of some of the songs while not captivating me is probably 1 of the reasons want it to finish so much. Again it hints at being good but never does it consistently to make it enjoyable. He's often trying to do too much.

Body Of Work, rapping well on the first verse, I liked the first verse, don't like the hook. I can completely understand why I felt like I felt on the first listen, it's frustrating, may like something then something ruins it. Next verse is fine, hook though not doing it for me. Last verse though the inflections and delivery again hamper my enjoyment of it and some of the rhyming seems forced.

Deliver first verse don't like, second verse is good, as I said at the time. But as a song it's not something could listen to, everything seems to have a problem with it, which was my initial impression, even the good parts have like flaws somewhere in the song that damage the enjoyability to me. Flow on the last verse starts ok, but don't like the flow switch. Only verse that really interested me was the second.

Madonna forgettable. Wanting it to hurry up and finish. Too much corny inflections and delivery. Unlistenable to me, impossible to enjoy and jarring my head. Actually giving me a headache from being so annoying. It's messy.

Adoration Of The Magi, I like the beat, has obviously the corniest lyric probably on the whole album lol. Don't like the bars, don't like the inflections. Really don't like this song, shyt like this is what the makes the album as a whole unlistenable. Not impressing me. Makes me want an instrumental album instead. Horrible delivery and inflections. Some of this shyt is awkward for the sake of it. Highly annoying unlistenable song. I can see why I disliked it upon first listen. Some bad multies too that aren't effective. Unlistenable song that again gives me headache and just want to finish as soon as possible.

So I can completely understand why I felt how I felt, and I still do, there's not 1 song I can comfortably fully enjoy. The moments of it capturing me are either non existent or far too few and far between. It's mixed and mastered well, the quality sounds good and much better on this version which is good for the album and the beats sounds even better hearing them full quality. That being said I would upgrade my rating to a 2 mic album, it sounded even worse not in the best quality, some of the beats are really good, and there's some aspects that are good but overall it's missing.

:mjlol:
This nikka dead made the same general vague ass critique for each song "too much corny inflections and delivey, uuhhh i didnt like the inflections or delivery in the song but I liked the beats on album" :deadrose:

ayye u have the right to ur opinion just realize ur opinion is one is deemed both unpopular and outright retarded by most people here so hey it is what it is

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:
This nikka dead made the same general vague ass critique for each song "too much corny inflections and delivey, uuhhh i didnt like the inflections or delivery in the song but I liked the beats on album" :deadrose:

ayye u have the right to ur opinion just realize ur opinion is one is deemed both unpopular and outright retarded by most people here so hey it is what it is

It isn't general or vague, if the inflections and delivery are wack it's impossible to be a dope song. It's a vital quality. Listen to 2 Pac, his were perfect, even Grand Puba on Reel To Reel, almost perfect flavour and delivery, nothing corny. What's wrong with that? I did like the beats, and didn't like the inflections, I also mentioned the lyrics, multies, chorus's, verses in general, references, style, ad libs etc. Being unpopular on here is not a bad thing to me at all. At the end of the day if someone likes the album, all good, it was just my opinion, I'm not asking anyone to agree with it, just my thoughts.