10 Things You Didn't Know About 'Training Day'

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
its a one and done story, a sequel would have made it
giphy.gif
because with anything once you start a part 2, they start wanting a 3 then a prequel and so on

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Having Paul Walker or Freddie Prinze would've turned that shyt into a comedy. They're barely actors.

Ryan Phillipe doesn't fit the tone for me though.

Tobey Maguire would've definitely been an interesting choice and no doubt a career defining moment had he done the role and the movie justice. Most people only know him as spider-man now though which is kinda sad.

I think Hawke was definitely the right choice.

Hawke had that vulnerability/madness u would need to show what Jake was going thru inside this whole day...he's the only one who could pull off the eses trying to pop him in the bathtub and then walkin back in the Jungles to get Alonzo right after

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
another thing you notice watching it again is Alonzo setting everything up from the get go, leading up to the poker scene like"Hows your Espanol?" And "keep that bathtub clean."
whats the bathtub being clean have to do with anything? im lost on that one breh

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The only thing that ruins the movie for me is the Mexican gangsters cousin being the same girl Jake saved.. As well as Jake saving that picture of her that she dropped... As well as Tuco conveniently emptying Jake's pockets so he could find that picture :beli:

shyt ruined the plot for me

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
The only thing that ruins the movie for me is the Mexican gangsters cousin being the same girl Jake saved.. As well as Jake saving that picture of her that she dropped... As well as Tuco conveniently emptying Jake's pockets so he could find that picture :beli:

shyt ruined the plot for me

It was convenient as hell but Cliff Curtis mostly sold it for me. And I wasn't really bothered by it, to be honest.

Life's a trip, que no?

Also, if anything about that part should take you out of the movie, it's her being 14.

And Alonzo not killing Jake when they were fighting.

Last edited:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
This is on Netflix now and I just finished it with my old lady a few minutes ago since she'd never seen this classic.
Denzel and Hawke both killed it.

tumblr_mde3elYl1g1qlbnsco1_500.gif

You miss so much the first time around and then you watch it two or three more times and notice the little details that have you :ohhh:

If you listen, you can hear Alonzo start up his car after the Mexican gangbangers he's hired to kill Jake deal the cards the second time.

:wow:

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
I still don't agree that Alonzo only decided to murk Jake after he didn't take the money. You could hear the whole convo between him and Smiley when he left Rogers and that wasn't creating a new plan, it was confirming what was already in place. Sounded like he set it up already to take Jake out. Alonzo was smart. He knew he had to deal with a rookie coming in on the same day he had to make moves. No way he could assume that rookie would be immediately ok with him robbing Sandman with a fake warrant and murking Roger then taking cash. No way for him to know the rookie would be down but he also knew he had to do what he had to do. Only solution he could find that would definitely protect him was to murk Jake. Of course who knows how he'd explain what happened to Jake but still.

Also read that Jake = IA theory and the flaw in that is if Jake was really trying to get dirt on Alonzo why in the world would he push back so hard on everything? He should've gone more with the flow to gain his trust. Its not like IA wouldve been expecting Alonzo to get murked, if they went through the trouble to get a guy in there they'd plan for him to be part of the team so after Roger got murked why wouldn't he play along more instead of immediately making everyone distrust him?