15 year old Ryan Gainer shot by deputy had autism, was acting out after family dispute, attorney says

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Ryan-Gainer-1.png

We're learning more about what led up to a fatal encounter between a 15-year-old at his Apple Valley home and San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies.

A deputy shot and killed Ryan Gainer at his home on Saturday after his family called 911 to report he was attacking his sister and breaking doors and glass at the home.

Body camera video released by the sheriff's department shows the teen charging at a deputy with a sharp gardening tool on a 5-foot pole.

With his gun raised, the deputy shouts "Hey get back! Get back or you're gonna get shot" as he tries to retreat. As Ryan continues running at him with the tool, the deputy is seen trying to run away but pointing his gun back as the teen nearly catches up to him.

The released portion of the video ends there, but the department says the teen was struck by gunfire and then later declared deceased at a local hospital.

Ryan's family has retained an attorney, who tells Eyewitness News the boy had autism and was acting out after a dispute over doing household chores.

"Ryan is a 15-year-old with autism, and sometimes in order to release stress or if he he's a little too worked up, he'll go on a run,"
attorney DeWitt Lacy says.

"When he came back there was a dispute that arose because he wanted to play video games, and he needed to do his chores, and he started acting out."

Gainer's sister called 911 for help. Audio released of that call documents her telling the dispatcher that her brother is attacking his own sister and breaking glass and doors in the home.

There is no indication on the released audio that the family informed the department of his mental health status.

Neighbors say deputies have been called to the home before. When shown the video, several neighbors differed on whether there was a need to fatally shoot Ryan, or whether the situation could have been de-escalated somehow.

"He'd been struggling with a few things but he was basically a good kid," said one neighbor.

Another neighbor said from the video it appeared the deputy had no choice but to protect himself.

"When an officer is attacked with any kind of weapon, especially under that circumstance, seeing that video, I don't know how much of a choice he had not to do what he did," said neighbor Joe Gabler.

The sheriff's department's Specialized Investigations Division is investigating the incident.

San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus released a statement about the incident:

"Our social safety net for those experiencing mental illness needs to be strengthened. Our deputies handle seemingly insurmountable calls daily. Most of these calls do not end in violence. However, this one ended in tragedy for Ryan, his family, and for the deputies who responded. Rapidly evolving, violent encounters are some of the most difficult, requiring split second decisions. While these decisions are lawful, they are awful in terms of our humanity. I feel for both Ryan's family and my deputies who will struggle with this for their entire lives."

Apple Valley teen shot by deputy had autism, was acting out after family dispute, attorney says

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Tragic. I blame the family calling the cops. Esp if the father was there. He was only 15 and he doesn't look that strong that a full grown able body man wouldn't be able to control.

Truly a tragic story and not to take anything away from the police....we have to got to stop calling the cops for mental health issues esp when it with a minor.

As for the fukking pig who is trained to subdue assailants 1st without using lethal force, that was some coward as shyt. I hope he gets LIFE in GEN POP

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

Daps
Reppin
Tough situation because what else are you to do if someone is charging at you with a weapon?

Maybe have non-lethal force as the primary option if it’s a psych-related call?
People forget cops train to subdue assailants with lethal weapons sans guns without using a service firearm to render them neutralized.

That cop could've at the child's feet and shot a foot at the most. He was at a comfortable distance to see him high tailing towards to get a visible shot.

broller

Veteran
Daps
Maybe it's worked out for that family in the past calling the cops on their son but for me, I'd be hella nervous falling the cops on my child. In that case I would have rather let him play the video games before calling the cops.

Very sad though.

Family Man

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Ok. Was the cop supposed to get his diagnosis prior to showing up? Autistic people catch bodies too.
Moral of the story is if you afraid of your love one that's being violent getting shot then subdue them yourself instead of calling the police.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

Daps
Reppin
Maybe it's worked out for that family in the past calling the cops on their son but for me, I'd be hella nervous falling the cops on my child. In that case I would have rather let him play the video games before calling the cops.

Very sad though.
The crazy thing is...I know that family was hammering it home to 911, this is a mental health episode. But like I said. If the father was there like the article is suggesting, shouldn't be no need to call the cops for a 15 yr old.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

Daps
Reppin
"....shows the teen charging at a deputy with a sharp gardening tool on a 5-foot pole."

Again...police are trained to do neutralization tactics to subdue assailants without use of firearms.

The cop could've shot the teens foot as he had time to speak and aim and shoot.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

Daps
Reppin
I don't think most PDs are equipped to properly train their people in mental health encounters. Things like this are the result.
Their presence alone escalates situations. That has been proven. Had a detective showed up instead of a uniformed officer, he prolly could've de-escalated the situation.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Their presence alone escalates situations. That has been proven. Had a detective showed up instead of a uniformed officer, he prolly could've de-escalated the situation.

I agree with the first part.

As for the second, no detective is going to spend their time going out on calls that can be shunted to patrol people. Detectives have caseloads and quotas.