1917 Trailer (2019) (Dir by: Sam Mendes) (Richard Madden, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth)

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
It was cool, but i dont think I'll watch it again anytime soon. Not go out and cop the 4k immediately type shyt. The one continuous take style is dope.

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
Movie was kinda dope, but still overrated and migraine enducing. If they didn't do the whole one shot gimmick thing it would have been a very average af film. 3/5

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Movie was kinda dope, but still overrated and migraine enducing. If they didn't do the whole one shot gimmick thing it would have been a very average af film. 3/5
If they didn't do the whole one shot gimmick they could've created a more interesting narrative or character arcs instead of handcuffing themselves.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I saw this earlier. I kinda thought with all the hype I’d be let down, but I enjoyed it :ehh: from a visual and technical standpoint more than anything else I was pretty impressed. The story Is rather barebones and where I felt like the film was lacking, while the leads all did a great job acting, there wasn’t a whole lot to work with either as they were kinda handcuffed by the one shot gimmick. I was expecting this to feel more like Dunkirk, but that was a much more visceral, explosive film. This film felt more intimate than that one due to always being glued to the leads, which lead to some pretty amazing shots. In particular, I really thought the first nighttime sequence in the film was dazzling, visually. Great uses of light and darkness there. I also thought the set design was really well done and helped immerse you into the film, each location we pass through was war torn in a unique way, with dead bodies in various states of decay and distress always a constant throughout. I had to go back and edit this post to shoutout the score too, enjoyed that aspect of this as well.
I’d also be amiss if I didn’t mention that this movie felt like a live action FPS to me and I never shook that thought. shyt might as well have been titles Battlefield 1917 :russ: during the first like, 10 minutes when we follow Chapman and MacKay through the trenches, I couldn’t shake the idea that it all felt like one big tutorial these dudes were playing before they begin the actual campaign story :dead:
I can see all the praise for it, excellent cinematography, some great set designs, good acting. I can’t put it in my top 10 because I couldn’t personally connect with it on that level, but it was an impressive film nonetheless.

Last edited:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
It's impressive and frequently astonishing...but on the whole pretty thin. Has me on a kick of watching/rewatching other WWI films, and there's so much to mined from the specific horrors of that war. Disappointing that this one only bushes up against that potential in the most fleeting and subtle moments.

But fukk does it look good

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Fantastic movie. Would look awesome on a 4K home theatre projector/screen. The production level is:banderas:. That scenery change from the mire and muck of the British trenches and desolation of no man’s land to the lush greenery just over the German’s line:ohhh:. But like someone said, it might be a one time view type of movie. I can rewatch Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now over and over again, but this one didn’t really have any must-see-again scenes....