20 years ago this month, Malcolm X (the movie) dropped in theaters

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
The movie changed the way I looked at life as a youngin.... I was like :ohhh: @ the transformation of the pawg chasing Malcolm Little to the man that returned back from Mecca...

mysmilie_1242.gif

Malcolm X after return from Mecca. - YouTube

szfk1g.png
Excellence
Denzel fukking KILLED IT...the voices are almost identical. And some of it is by nature, but Denzel accentuated to the point where it's almost identical.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I actually remember going to see this when I was young. A local radio station (Magic 102. My real Houston nikkas remember before it was 97.9) was handing out tickets and shirts. Can't lie it shook me to the core even back then. Denzel's performance was amazing and IMO hasn't been topped since.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The book has a lot more stuff in it that the film doesn't cover

The movie is a masterpiece and the best work Spike has ever done. The assassination scene is incredible. The scenes where he is cleaning himself up in prison is moving also.

Malcolm X's life is a true example of the American Dream.

I just remember all of those "X" hats and shirts.

They also had to get money from prominent black celebs and businessmen to put the film together. It's just amazing.

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
For those who were around during that time, what impact (if any) did the movie have on you? I remember when the movie dropped, the whole family went together to see it. Being a Muslim and growing up in a Muslim household, I already knew about Malcolm. And I even read the Alex Haley book a year or 2 prior to seeing the flick. But seeing it on the big screen, all laid out, defiantly left a lasting impression on me as a young dude coming up.

When Malcolm was heading to the Auditorium to give that talk and that music by Otis Reading came on.......

:ohlawd:

:to:

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
My gf friend was moving and we got this book. I'm not much of a reader but is it worth reading if I saw the movie?

Top 5

Included on my list would be Monster, Alchemist, can't think of anything else, but those 3 always get re-read every so many years. Its funny how I found both Monster and Malcolm cause my cuz left them in my crib when he got locked up. Both those books saved me, and 10 yrs later I sent new copies of each to my cousin who was serving a new bid. Needless to say they didn't make the same impact on him as they did on me.