Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The administrators like Russell because it's easier on finances. The athletes like it the LEAST because its inferior.

In the HBCU world, the admins always win and never bend. Ever. That punk ass Duer Sharp gets kickbacks off the Russell deal and the presidents probably are too.

I love my culture, but gotdamn I can't stand some of my people. :facepalm:

Source:
Inside Russell Athletic's lucrative Southwestern Athletic Conference contract

Preciate that link! Everybody read it to understand the $$$/perks breakdown, I'm sure the MEAC's was damn near the same. And I'm sure that $60K SWAC schools got last year can't outfit all their teams, so they gotta come outta pocket

That's reasonable but I'm playing devil's advocate here. The interviewer implied that a negative impact would be/could be immediate in turning recruits away...so in that same vein a positive or no net gain/loss should be measured in that same time frame for balance. Also, do you remember how many players were drafted last year?

We're on the same page. My man's is against the game so his takes are irrational at times, even though we've tried to school him on all the details. It was cool to hear a player's perspective though, but like you said the sample size or timeframe isn't large enough yet.

A total of 2 were drafted last year. MEAC had one player, the Cardinals took DT Rodney Gunter from Del State in the 4th rd. From the SWAC, DB Tray Walker (R.I.P). also went in the 4th rd to the Ravens

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Those back to back SWAC titles have paid off for us

:wow:

Alcorn State University: Alcorn to construct largest video scoreboard in an HBCU owned football stadium

Defending Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Football Champions Alcorn State University Braves will soon boast the nation's largest Historically Black College and University owned video scoreboard when they kick off the 2016 season at Spinks-Casem Stadium this fall.

The LED display is expected to measure 65 feet by 25 feet, will feature an impressive 10 mm pixel pitch and a high quality 1952x736 resolution. It will be capable of variable content zoning allowing it to show one large image or it can be divided into multiple smaller windows to show any combination of live video, instant replays, up-to-the-minute statistics, graphics and animations, and sponsorship messages.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
more great news for our programs!!!

:gladbron:

NFL, HBCU conferences partner to grow minority opportunities

The NFL is partnering with two preeminent Historically Black College & Universities (HBCU) athletic conferences -- the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) and Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) -- to increase opportunities for ethnic minorities -- both professionals and students -- interested in pursuing careers in football administration, the league announced today.

The goal is to provide qualified individuals with the preparation and skills needed to secure employment in professional football administration.

"Our partnership with the MEAC and SWAC is not only important for our pipeline of qualified individuals at all levels of football, but also to improve the NFL's goals for diversity and inclusion," said NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent. "With this partnership, we are making steady progress in developing future coaches, officials, scouts, managers, front office personnel and others through effective football resources, educational programs and internships."

In addition to the NFL providing much-needed support to academic and athletic endeavors, MEAC and SWAC personnel will benefit from programs that include internships at the club and league level, integration of their football operations staff -- including athletic trainers, video directors and equipment managers -- into existing NFL platforms such as the Regional Combines, and networking and mentorship opportunities.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Nike stepped up. I hope my Aggies get to use JB...

FAMU announces Nike deal, A&T and Savannah expected to follow suit

It appears that Nike will be the big benefactor of the MEAC's decision to allow teams to negotiate their own apparel deals. Florida A&M confirmed that it has reached a deal with the apparel giant and at least two other schools appear to be headed in that direction as well.

FAMU confirmed that it has reached a three-year deal with Nike over the weekend, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. AD Milton Overton, Jr. didn't give figures but did indicate that the deal will be more financially beneficial than the previous one negotiated by the conference with Russell.

“Most of the conference moved to Nike,” Overton said. “Some of the conference members when to a different apparel company. I won’t necessarily say numbers. What I’ll say it was a 50-percent increase in value from Russell to Nike.”

Sources tell HBCU Gameday that North Carolina A&T and Savannah State will wear Nike as well. Delaware State announced a deal with Nike last month. Howard has been the only school to go elsewhere so far, reaching a deal with Under Armour earlier this month. |

FAMU plans on releasing new uniforms for football soon.

“We’ll release new uniforms,” Overton said. “We’ll also release new apparel. That’ll be in the next couple of weeks. We’re going to push it out to the fans. We’ll show what the new uniforms will look like for football and a couple of other sports. Then we’ll show what some of the new Nike polos will look like.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Don't know if yall heard about how North Carolina had a proposed bill trying to drop tuition to $500/semester (in state students) and $2500/semester (out of state). Three out of the 5 proposed schools were HBCUs. Winston Salem State, Elizabeth City, and Fayetteville St.

Luckily, it was removed on Thursday.

The lead host of our HBCU Sports Podcast interviewed a Yale Professor, Dr. Glenda Gilmore about a column she wrote. It's not necessarily sports related but it could possibly affect the unnamed HBCUs and set a precedent for other states.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
A father’s Facebook post insists that HBCUs drop the ball when recruiting top talent. The father, an alumnus and former football player at Howard, said he tried to get Howard to recruit his D-I caliber sons to play football there.

However, Howard did not contact him back. Now one of his sons is excelling at Illinois and the other is getting looks from North Dakota State, he says. The panelists on this week’s episode discuss whether we believe HBCUs are taking the right approach to recruiting top talent.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
What do y'all think can be done to improve the HBCU attendance? :jbhmm: Only time ASU's new stadium was full to capacity was at Turkey Day 2012.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL

"They say the third time's a charm (to beat NCCU and win the MEAC outright)":mjlol:

It ain't happening:demonic:

What do y'all think can be done to improve the HBCU attendance? :jbhmm: Only time ASU's new stadium was full to capacity was at Turkey Day 2012.

From a non-football POV:

• incorporate giveaways with corporate sponsors that'll really get people out in droves (ie *insert legendary player* bobblehead night)
  • Enhance the fan experience (Social Media Contests, concessions, etc)
  • Serve alcohol:youngsabo:

From a on field POV:
  • Great football (no brainer)
  • Recruit local HS stars
  • Schedule OOC games that piques fans' interests (fellow HBCUs, in-state matchups)