30 for 30: One and Not Done (Tonight @ 9 PM EST on ESPN)

What do you think of the "One and Done" rule?

• Total voters

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not the first to say it but I think it could work. The only problem is guys thinking they're better than they are and go straight from high school and flop.

Either they let those kids test the waters like college players, or implement an alternative with the d-league. I don't think the current model is beneficial to either side.
What the fukk is the point of having them wait three years though?

Most players don't need three years to develop to be pro worthy while also not necessarily being ready right out of high school. All of this shyt is just arbitrary anyway. If the NBA were to force guys to wait three years out of high school it's just inevitable before another league comes in to take advantage of all of that unused talent ABA style.

The solution is stop having these guys play for free in the first place. The NCAA is the only villain in this situation.

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
What the fukk is the point of having them wait three years though?

Most players don't need three years to develop to be pro worthy while also not necessarily being ready right out of high school. All of this shyt is just arbitrary anyway. If the NBA were to force guys to wait three years out of high school it's just inevitable before another league comes in to take advantage of all of that unused talent ABA style.

The solution is stop having these guys play for free in the first place. The NCAA is the only villain in this situation.

I don't think it's the right option necessarily but I think it could work if implemented properly.

The players who have transcendent talent can go straight to the league from HS. Making the rest spend 3 years minimum in college makes both the NBA and NCAA better, at least on paper.

The teams on the college level now can build something over a couple years, which will help change the game better in the long term (being able to implement more complex offenses/defenses) which in turn carries over to the NBA immediately.

Perhaps a good alternative would be to make players who want to leave early play in the D-League (or G-League whatever the fukk it's called now) and develop, and get paid at the same time. Which then makes that league better as well. Tie it in with the new designated player contracts and we might be onto something.

Of course just having the NCAA pay players is a great option too. But that's not likely to happen, and sticking out 3 years could end up as a better option long term for guys (bigger contracts) and space is limited on the D-League level.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
:patrice: I like that 3rd option (Go to the league straight outta h.s. if not 3 yrs in college). Never seen that one before. NBA nd NCAA would both benefit

nhl has something like that

NCAA Players - 18-year-old players from NCAA Division I schools can be drafted and retain their college eligibility as long as they don't play for a pro team or hire an agent. In previous years, an 18-year-old who opted into the draft lost his NCAA eligibility

NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college

93 til

Superstar
Daps
:patrice: I like that 3rd option (Go to the league straight outta h.s. if not 3 yrs in college). Never seen that one before. NBA nd NCAA would both benefit

It's like that for MLB. You can even be drafted and choose to honor your commitment to college. I feel like they got it best. Instead for the NBA it should be 2 years instead of 3. Some of these guys don't need 3 years and some don't need college at all. 2 seems sufficient IMO and it works for both parties