3d Artist explains how ‘The Killmonger’ became the default black hairstyle

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
What's going to be their return on investment of making black hair look better?
Better? Having a proper sample size of hairstyles isn’t better. It’s bare minimum.

Do you honestly think it's even high priority to gamers that black hair be accurate?
If we’re having a serious discussion about game development, having a game with dynamic customization (which is rare to begin with), there’s not many studios that have people making hairstyles period. You can purchase these packs from the engine store like Unity or Unreal. So it’s more of a money issue at that point, but let’s say this studio has a dedicated art department tasked with making hairstyles from scratch. It is their priority to have styles that are up to date, yes. That’s their job.

I've never once heard anyone say they aren't buying a game because they don't like the way black hair is modeled in it.
OK? You should probably broaden your perspective some. We don’t have to settle. Sorry.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Better? Having a proper sample size of hairstyles isn’t better. It’s bare minimum.

If we’re having a serious discussion about game development, having a game with dynamic customization (which is rare to begin with), there’s not many studios that have people making hairstyles period. You can purchase these packs from the engine store like Unity or Unreal. So it’s more of a money issue at that point, but let’s say this studio has a dedicated art department tasked with making hairstyles from scratch. It is their priority to have styles that are up to date, yes. That’s their job.

OK? You should probably broaden your perspective some. We don’t have to settle. Sorry.
You say it's the bare minimum and reality says the bare minimum is actually less than that.

If it had an impact they'd be doing it. It's because it doesn't that they don't. The evidence shows that what they're doing is acceptable to the masses. When people have a problem with something a business does they demand change. When enough demand it then change happens.

Mass Effect 3 came out and about the entire gaming community raged about it's ending and EA changed it. Black characters get like 3 hairstyles and a few people grumble on the internet but still buy the games because ultimately it's not a deal breaker.

I'm not the one telling you that you have to settle game companies do that. I'm just saying why it is that way and it is so because to most it's not a deal breaker.

So no you don't have to settle. You can take your dollars and refuse to participate in the market until it addresses those concerns. I strongly encourage you to stop buying or playing games that don't have the options you want.

Daps
images

I just wanna see a Dallas shag

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
imagine sittin in the barber's chair talkin bout

"gimme the killmonger, son"

with a straight face

:heh: