3d Artist explains how ‘The Killmonger’ became the default black hairstyle

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
BULL-FUKKIN-SHYT

Black culture has propagated to every corner of the world thanks to internet. There are are Japanese barbers cutting hair like black folks and this European is saying literally saying we don’t know.

When I was still in 3D I was creating models with black hair in 2010 with 3ds Max. It’s not hard technically it’s lazy and trend hopping. IF it’s hard to technically do maybe choose an artsyle thats not the same boring AAA high res look.

Kimberly
Nagoriyuki
Leroy
Raven
Death Loop
Del Walker
Overwatch
Tanya
Damn near every 2K game
GTA

Were all hard all to do huh?

They've been using this same argument since 2001. MFers SHAMELESS :russ:

Just say yall don't care to do it right, damn. The Japanese have figured it out, Rockstar has figured it out.

SMH.

collateral.

Rookie
Supporter
Daps
2K gets haircuts accurate though :manny:

Technological constraints is a meh excuse as there’s been long white hairstyles with physics applied to them. From luster, to definition, to the application of gravity.

Rather be told “we don’t gaf about creating braids and we know yall gon still cop”
lol it wasn’t always like though, up until about 2k16/17. I remember YouTubers like Chris Smoove and ipodkingcarter would complain for years about the wack ass hairstyles. I remember everybody wishing you could just use a NBA player’s hairstyle for your character since they put more effort into that. Your point is well taken though, but 2k is (was) company that always took in feedback from their player base and eventually granted better hairstyles

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:Problem will continue until more black people are behind these games. And if more developers actually gave a damn. It’s easy to look up different black hairstyles on google.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s a shame Campo Santo was devoured by Valve and pretty much broken up after they made Half Life Alyx. They were working on this a lot for their game Valley of The Gods, which is now also dead.

“When I first saw the character design for Zora, I had an understanding of what task lays before us as a team,” wrote Ng, acknowledging that hair is a symbol of individuality. “None of us has Type 4 hair, characterized by tight coils and common among black women. In fact, none of us have even made video game hair before, but we are committed to giving Zora the hair she loves, the way she chooses to wear it, with all the care and effort we can.”

Full blog post

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Why would game developers care about black hairstyles when they can include killmonger, braids, Afro, buzz cut or bald :mjlol:

It should relatively easy to include waves but for some reason that’s an often ignored style lol

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
Cac babble
This. Any dev that can put the kill monger in, can put a handful of competent fades in that shyt too

I have YET to see a crisp fade in any mother fukking game. The lineup are always trash, even in 2K.

Just give me some 360 waves for fukk sake. I hate these dikkheads juelzing

AStrangeName

Griffith did nothing wrong
Daps
It this point, it's pure laziness and not having enough black developers in the industry who are in high positions. They've been running with the tech excuse for two decades now, but we've witness them put crazy effort in hair physics/quality towards the end of seven gen with Tomb Raider 2013 and for most of eight gen. We know tech isn't the reason, but they're doing everything in their power to avoid criticism.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
2K gets haircuts accurate though :manny:

Technological constraints is a meh excuse as there’s been long white hairstyles with physics applied to them. From luster, to definition, to the application of gravity.

Rather be told “we don’t gaf about creating braids and we know yall gon still cop”
They are still lacking big time and some of the hairstyles look downright ridiculous. There is a reason there are complaints every year.