3d Artist explains how ‘The Killmonger’ became the default black hairstyle

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
2K gets haircuts accurate though :manny:

Technological constraints is a meh excuse as there’s been long white hairstyles with physics applied to them. From luster, to definition, to the application of gravity.

Rather be told “we don’t gaf about creating braids and we know yall gon still cop”
This is the reason why there's cornrows in Hogwarts Legacy.
3997426-nba-2k-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

2K games knows its buyers demand accuracy in the NBA culture including hairstyles. So before there was the Killmonger hairstyle, you had Allen Iverson. You know the devs have been phoning it in given the lack of brush waves as a option. Brush waves is one of the most prevalent black male hair styles since the 1950s, yet ita rarely given as a hairstyle.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is the reason why there's cornrows in Hogwarts Legacy.
3997426-nba-2k-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

2K games knows its buyers demand accuracy in the NBA culture including hairstyles. So before there was the Killmonger hairstyle, you had Allen Iverson. You know the devs have been phoning it in given the lack of brush waves as a option. Brush waves is one of the most prevalent black male hair styles since the 1950s, yet ita rarely given as a hairstyle.

Spot on.

Take two having the NBA license for better or worse for 2 decades has actually done more to properly represent black people in games than consulting agencies like sweet baby has. They pretty much have to hire and train artist to render black hair and features properly

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It's always been about effort. I assume they don't try that much because they assume black people don't buy many games, so they'll just say whatever. There's resources and stuff for them to follow to get it right, but they always choose to ignore it. I think we also have to remember a lot of the people in the industry most likely don't interact with black people that often, so they'll mimic stuff that is popular in the media. It's why they probably transitioned to the Killmonger because they assumed it was popular due black panther.

I don't think things will change until we get more black people in the room and continue to call them out.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's always been about effort. I assume they don't try that much because they assume black people don't buy many games, so they'll just say whatever. There's resources and stuff for them to follow to get it right, but they always choose to ignore it. I think we also have to remember a lot of the people in the industry most likely don't interact with black people that often, so they'll mimic stuff that is popular in the media. It's why they probably transitioned to the Killmonger because they assumed it was popular due black panther.

I don't think things will change until we get more black people in the room and continue to call them out.

It’s weird because why was killmonger hair more popular than T’challa’s? Lol

TChalla-Black-Panther.Black-Panther.webp