5/6 DAZN PPV: Canelo vs John Ryder (Undisputed Super Middleweight Championship)

Who Wins?

• Ryder KO-TKO-DQ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canelo-Ryder Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
eAmaKTmRgQC8wdRqBIsmRnBFzC1dqCAE8iFirHRwEwdqXz1e3YTeeCqqTyS-aqeBloBp-0MuDVpx1sqhs9HMLXhG9ELIOzLdq6JpY1TpTOH9fgy5cuVCs-DvxAcDsFydOJdQ74r27n8opYVQsNPO2EekEph_LUk=s0-d-e1-ft

Saúl Canelo Álvarez will defend his Undisputed Super-Middleweight title against John Ryder at the Akron Stadium in Guadalajara, Mexico on Saturday May 6, live around the world on DAZN and DAZN PPV in the U.S & Canadathe first time in over a eleven and a half years that Canelo has fought in Mexico.

Canelo (58-2-2 39 KOs) defends his Undisputed crown for the second time after beating bitter rival Gennadiy Golovkin in their trilogy battle in Las Vegas in September, having ripped the IBF crown from Caleb Plant in Sin City in November 2021 with an 11th round stoppage.

The Mexican superstar will make an emotional return to his homeland for his latest Cinco de Mayo showdown, and it will be 4180 days since he last stepped through the ropes in Mexico, when he stopped Kermit Cintron in Mexico City in five rounds to defend his WBO World Light-Middleweight title.

The 32 year old four-weight World Champion fights for the 63rd time of his storied career as he closes in on 18 years as a pro. Cinco de Mayo weekend will see him fight for the 35th time in his homeland and it promises to be a spectacular occasion with the state of Jalisco marking 200 years of independence.

WBO mandatory challenger Ryder (32-5 18 KOs) will be looking to spoil the party, as the popular Londoner travels to Mexico for the biggest fight of his 12-year career. ‘The Gorilla’ landed the WBO interim title in his last fight when Zach Parker retired on his stool after four rounds of their clash in London, England in November.

That win for the 34 year old followed a career-best victory earlier in 2022 over former Middleweight ruler and old Canelo foe Daniel Jacobs, with Ryder having also tackled three other Britons who have taken on the Mexican king, challenging Callum Smith for the Super-Middleweight World crown after fights with Billy Joe Saunders and Rocky Fielding.

“I feel really happy to be coming back in May because following my surgery, I was unsure of when I'd be coming back,” said Canelo. “Returning to the ring and coming back to fight in Jalisco, where I'm from, makes me especially happy. And in John Ryder, I'm facing a very competitive fighter.”

“There’s no denying that Canelo is one of the greats and I’ve got a lot of respect for what he’s achieved in the sport but I fully believe this is my time fulfil my dream of becoming a World champion,” said Ryder.

“I’m not going over there for a holiday. For me this is purely business and my full focus is on going into his backyard in Guadalajara on May 6 and bringing those belts back with me to the UK. I want to thank the team, Tony and Charlie Sims and Matchroom Boxing for making this happen.”

“Canelo’s return to Mexico is historic for Mexican boxing,” said trainer Eddy Reynoso. “He is returning as an Undisputed champion, this is proof that a Mexican can succeed outside his country with discipline and love for his sport.

“I feel proud of all of this, because the dream of a kid who started in Guadalajara came true and he returns as a winner!”

“This is a moment that will be forever engrained in the history of boxing and Mexican sport,” said Eddie Hearn. “Canelo Alvarez defending his undisputed championship in his hometown in front of 50,000 fans will be an incredible sight and a night we will never forget.

“In John Ryder, you have a mandatory challenger that has paid his dues and off the back of big wins against Daniel Jacobs and Zach Parker is ready for the ultimate challenge. See you May 6 in Guadalajara for something very special, live on DAZN.”

“It doesn’t get bigger than Canelo in Mexico,” Joe Markowski, CEO North America, DAZN Group said, “Canelo returning home, John Ryder coming to spoil the party after big wins versus Daniel Jacobs and Zach Parker in 2022; this has the makings of a classic. Tune in to this historic event live on DAZN around the world and in Mexico for the very first time.”

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Canelo-Ryder: Michael Griffin Tabbed To Referee Championship Clash; Judges Named

BY JAKE DONOVAN
Published Tue Apr 25, 2023, 04:30 AM EDT
One of boxing’s best referees has been tasked to officiate a championship fight featuring one of the sport’s very best fighters.

Michael Griffin was appointed to oversee the Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez-John Ryder undisputed super middleweight championship clash. The Montreal-based referee is joined by judges Joseph Pasquale (New Jersey), Jeremy Hayes (Ontario, Canada) and Gerardo Martinez (San Juan, Puerto Rico), all four of whom will work their first fight involving either boxer.

Guadalajara’s Alvarez (58-2-2, 39KOs) attempts his second title defense as undisputed champion and fourth overall defense of at least one super middleweight title versus England’s Ryder. Their bout headlines a May 6 DAZN Pay-Per-View event from Estadio Akron in Zapopan, Mexico, just outside of Alvarez’s hometown.

The scheduled 12-round championship fight marks the first time the three assigned judges will work together. Pasquale was appointed by the IBF, Hayes by the WBA and Martinez by the WBO. Hayes is the only judge of the three to have never worked a bout involving Griffin as the referee.

Pasquale has served as a judge for five fights where Griffin was the assigned referee, by far the most shared experience among the four appointed officials for this bout. Scores weren’t needed for their last shared assignment, when former WBC heavyweight titlist Deontay Wilder knocked out Robert Helenius in the first round last October 15 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Griffin was assigned to the title eliminator by the WBC, who appointed the 26-year referee and judge for this contest.

Griffin has worked several high-profile events in recent years, including two historic bouts at Madison Square Garden. He was the referee for Andy Ruiz’s off-the-canvas, seventh-round knockout of then-unbeaten and unified heavyweight titlist Anthony Joshua in June 2019, as well as the for the epic Katie Taylor-Amanda Serrano undisputed lightweight championship last April 30.

Puerto Rico’s Martinez was one of three judges who scored for Billy Joe Saunders over David Lemieux in their December 2017 WBO middleweight title fight where Griffin was the third man in the ring. He will work his first title fight since the April 2021 Demetrius Andrade-Liam Williams WBO middleweight title fight. Andrade won a twelve-round, unanimous decision; Martinez’s score of 116-111 was on the mark.

Alvarez will fight in his home country for the first time in more than eleven years. His last ring appearance in Mexico came in a November 2011 sixth-round knockout of Kermit Cintron when he was still a junior middleweight. Alvarez has since fought 22 straight times in the U.S. where he has emerged as the sport’s biggest star, a pound-for-pound king for years and a two-time Fighter of the Year while winning titles in four weight divisions.

Ryder (32-5, 18KOs) enters his second career major title fight and first in Mexico. The 34-year-old southpaw from Islington, London suffered a controversial decision defeat to then-unbeaten countryman Callum Smith in their November 2019 WBA super middleweight title fight in Liverpool. Alvarez outpointed Smith by a wide margin in their December 2020 meeting to begin his current super middleweight championship reign.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Canelo vs. Ryder Winner To Receive WBC's 'Puebla/Jalisco Belt'​

mauricio-sulaiman_1682545826.jpg

BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Wed Apr 26, 2023, 06:16 PM EDT
This morning at the main hall of the Mexican Chamber of Deputies, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman unveiled the commemorative belt that will be presented to the winner of the upcoming super middleweight clash between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. John Ryder.
Canelo, who holds the WBC, IBF, WBA, WBO world titles at 168, will defend the undisputed crown against Ryder on May 6 at Akron Stadium in Mexico.
WBC, well known for their commemorative belts, has tabbed the newest piece as the 'Puebla/Jalisco belt.'
Artisan Angélica Moreno from the Talavera de la Reyna workshop explained that the plate was detailed with a special process where metal and marble were fused through a subtle design that emphasized the silhouette of the Talavera flower and by the silhouette of the agave, both representative figures of Puebla and Jalisco.
The WBC's commemorative belts were born as a special trophy, in which the sanctioning body awards in high profile fights on the two most important dates for Mexico and boxing: May 5 (Batalla de Puebla) and September 16 (Mexico’s Independence Day).
Also in attendance at the presentation ceremony were members of the boxing community, such as Humberto González, Pipino Cuevas, Lulú Juárez, Isaac Bustos, Erik Ortiz, Luis Ceja, Juan Hernández, Juan Francisco Martínez, Daniel Domínguez, Víctor Rabanales, Jorge Lacierva, Estrella Valverde, Judith Rodríguez, María Elena Villalobos, David Picasso, Esmeralda Moreno, Juan Pablo Romero, and the Olympic medalist Antonio Roldán.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
The amount of money this dude is making for these fights with limited demand is kind of insane.

Álvarez is eagerly taking that major pay cut — quite possibly more than $10 million — to take on Britain’s John Ryder for all four super middleweight world title belts in front of more than 50,000 frenzied hometown fans at Akron Stadium.

“It’s unbelievable, because it affected me,” Hearn said with a grin. “Actually, I think it’s great. Saul has got a lot of money, so that’s (a factor). but it’s still quite unusual. I’ve not really seen a lot of fighters that would take a lot less to do it at home.”

Hearn can’t yet give specifics about the size of Álvarez’s payday, but Canelo was widely reported to have a guaranteed purse of $45 million for his trilogy bout with Gennady Golovkin last year — with his final earnings likely much higher, perhaps near $100 million. Álvarez also made well over the $15 million guaranteed purse for his bout against Dmitry Bivol last May

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
my only interest in this fight is to gauge where canelo is at..he had a terrible 2022...one fight where he got his head boxed off and another where he hit the wall harder than i have ever seen him hit before in a clear win...a loss of any kind, draw, or a close and/or disputed win vs ryder will def a confirm a slide

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
If canelo struggles I'll admit he might be :flabbynsick:......I want a huge statement win. John is a physically strong guy so I could see canelo's stamina being put to the test. Ryder had Danny Jacobs on wobbly legs so he's got some pop too. at the very least this is gonna be an exciting fight. Won't be satisfied with anything less than a KO.