61 Year Old Black American Woman Murdered in Ghana

Sir Jebbi

All Star
Daps
A Spout Spring family is in mourning and trying to bring home their loved one after she was reported murdered in Ghana, Africa.

According to the family of Norma Jean-Gilbert, the 61-year-old woman was living in a small village in Ghana doing humanitarian work for the community. Norma's sister Barbara Pennix told ABC13 Sunday that they found out from Ghana Police that she had been murdered at her own home.

Norma Jean-Gilbert (Credit: Hayden Robertson, WSET)

Norma Jean-Gilbert (Credit: Hayden Robertson, WSET)

"I believe they were plotting against her the whole time you know," Pennix said. "They robbed her, bludgeoned her to death, and they buried her behind her home."

The family said two people were arrested for the crime and shared a press release from Ghana Police below:

Statement from Ghana Police on the murder of Norma. (Credit: Iris Ceilbent)

Statement from Ghana Police on the murder of Norma. (Credit: Iris Ceilbent)

The Ghana Police said that one of the men involved was Norma's fiance, but Pennix said that was not right.

"They told the police what happened and one man said he was her fiance, but we know that's wrong," Pennix said. "The man that did, she hired to do work around her home because he didn't have anywhere to go. Then, he got somebody else to help as well."

Norma's son, Jawaun Gibert-Eldridge said he found out the news last Saturday and told his other two brothers.

"My little brother had just called me, and he had told me they killed ma-ma," Jawaun said. "He was just balling out crying. How could you do something like that? Every time you talked to her, she would say something like 'love life, have prosperity.'"

Jawuan said he knew something was wrong when she didn't answer his phone calls.

"I just kept calling her phone," Jawuan said. "I was calling her phone the whole night; I stayed up the whole night, and she wasn't answering.

Memorial for Norma Jean-Gilbert in her sister Barbara's home. (Credit: Hayden Robertson, WSET)

Memorial for Norma Jean-Gilbert in her sister Barbara's home. (Credit: Hayden Robertson, WSET)

Pennix said Norma originally traveled to Africa and after that first trip, she knew Norma wanted to do more.

"She just wanted to see what it was like and always wanted to go to Africa," Pennix said. "Once she had seen what it was like and she fell in love with it, her goal was to get back to Africa."

Both Norma's son and Pennix said she always had a heart for serving others.

"She was working in the community, serving hot meals and just helping," Pennix said. "They were gonna name her the Mother Queen - she had been bestowed that honor."

"My younger brother was the last person who went over there, and she lived in a small village," Jawuan said. "A whole bunch of little girls, she made sure she brought shoes for every single person and toys."

As the family copes with their loss, Jawuan said his mom's passion and legacy will always live on.

"I wanna have a daughter and tell her anything positive and everything positive about her," Jawuan said.

The family is working with the American Embassy and local lawmakers to figure out how to bring her remains back to the United States.

They are asking for your prayers and support during this time.

Norma's three sons have set up a GoFundMe to help raise support to pay to get the remains home.

:mjcry:

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
RIP

Two men in her home doing work? Who had no where to go?? Yea, that dude was plotting and brought that dude for help.

So sad!!!
Can’t trust anyone, especially some strange men in your home wherever you live, but especially in a new land.

Ugh This is so sad. Evil.

Prayers to her family.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We got no business over there :francis:

Went over there to help folks out and that’s what she gets as a thank you? Where’s the Africans coming here to help us?

Rest in Peace Norma
I love a good diaspora war, but this ain't it playa. Black people all over the world know that a dusty no good sheisty nikka is a dusty no good sheisty nikka the world over. She just didn't realize that nikka was no good and it caused her life.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Damn that’s fukked up, can’t be too open for people

Like I don’t want people to not help out but at the same time got to still keep some street awareness, can’t be inviting random nikkas to go yo house that you don’t know, especially when you in another country where you probably got more money than majority of the people over there

And you a 60 year old woman too, folks out here ain’t got no type of honor about themselves

Man I’d have to crash out if some shyt like this happened to my people, how the fukk you beat a senior citizen to death just to rob em