A Generation of American Men Give Up on College: ‘I Just Feel Lost’

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
some people just need time to develop a plan for what they wanna do in their life before going to college or exploring other options.
Too many are in college just because thats what you do after high school and aren't really preparing themselves for a career.

first and foremost liberal arts majors, poli sci, women's studies, language etc.
unless you want to be a teacher or a lawyer, waste of time. Those are the only two careers a liberal arts major can realistic find in any market. Everything else is niche.
stop going into liberal arts, those are just hobby majors.

also don't think you can just go to school for four years graduate and get a job with no experience. Employers aren't waiting for you to graduate to start hiring. If that was the case, they would have job fairs at graduation ceremonies instead of every semester. Start working in your field while you are in college. don't just think you can spend 4 years in a classroom and be qualified for the job you want. get an internship or a part time job, every semester if you can. your degree should only signal the employer to give you a raise, not signal that it's time to join the job hunt.

thirdly and sadly some people can't help this, but consider the school you went to, some employers are jumping over each to try and scoop up Ivy League grads. your local small town university not so much, you'll still end up with debt going to a shytty school like you would going to a nice one though, but you won't have access to the same network. If you can't afford to go to a nice college consider starting in community college and transferring after two years.

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
As I grew older I began to hate school and the school system more and more so I can relate. Going to college became more about making my parents happy instead of making me happy.

If you aren't passionate about something that specifically requires school, then I don't think you should go to college. :yeshrug:
While this is true what is also true is there is a desperate need for Black professionals in many fields that require education. From medicine to law to tech. We are already under represented and we don't have the LUXURY of feeling like school isn't for us.

For us to make our mark in this modern world education is essential. Otherwise we will keep being at the mercy of others. It's simple math.

When we are not present in these spaces other people are making decisions for us and not in good faith.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
So according to the article, colleges are almost 60% female. They're presumed to join the work force in some capacity after they graduate. Let's see what percentage of females remain in the work force after having children. Some women stay home with their children and won't return to work until they're in school and some won't return at all.

Anyway, college isn't for everyone. I know of trade workers making 300k a year consistently and they don't own the companies they work for. Outside of a college graduate owning their own company or getting hooked up by family/friend, I can't think of any job in the U.S. that will pay a new college grad 300k a year and all they have is a degree.
I highly doubt those trade workers that you speak of started out at 300k though…
:comeon:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Odd. You should be eating, breh…
:gucci:

Are you looking only in one geographical area?
Actually i was told in college that CIS wasn't a good a major. I don't remember exactly why, but i think it was something like people prefer Computer Science major over them because they have too heavy a business curriculum. or it was sort of a hybrid major and alot of people that do the hiring don't actually know what specifically they bring to the table over other majors. Some see it as sign you couldn't hack it in a more traditional major like CS, Physics, Math, EE, etc

don't trust online job statistics by major either, those number don't usually take into account it they found a job in their field. If you working at planet fitness with your degree that gets added to the tally.

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
While this is true what is also true is there is a desperate need for Black professionals in many fields that require education. From medicine to law to tech. We are already under represented and we don't have the LUXURY of feeling like school isn't for us.

For us to make our mark in this modern world education is essential. Otherwise we will keep being at the mercy of others. It's simple math.

This is what I was told growing up.

But at the end of the day I feel like you should become a doctor or lawyer because you have passion for it, rather than doing it out of a sense of "duty".

Another thing is that this really isn't a white vs. black thing, or atleast it shouldn't be. Them white folk own those schools and get paid off of our school debts so they winning either way. If you have passion for something that doesn't require school, by all means don't. :yeshrug:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Yup, I started college late so I was a bit older than most students...I was in the military before hand, but I guess I was old enough to see the cracks while going :yeshrug:

I vividly remember thinking "why the fukk have I wasted 2 college years paying for shyt classes that a high school student would do. Why do I have to toil until my junior year before I even get the the meat of this "college experience. :stopitslime:"

I also remember all the bullshyt about shadowing or working temp when I'm basically in competition with all the other students trying to do the same thing...it's a completely fukked up predatory system. If my chirrun don't wanna go to a university I'm definitely not forcing them.

there's two problems. one is the entire education system is set up like another industrial complex with the exponential cost to attain higher education.

:salute: to you. at least u were military, so u couldn't get raped on that tuition.

the second is high schools don't even try to steer kids into high paying trades/skills. its basically like they ONLY tell u about going to college or nothing. its bullshyt.

I told both my kids they didn't have to go to college, and there's plenty of high paying trades where you get paid to learn instead of the other way around (which to me is a lick). that said, I got a kid in college, and at least she is trying to be a nurse, so college is definitely necessary in that regard.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Seems like this overlaps with the rise in incel culture.

College is the best place to hook up and socialize. It’s the last opportunity that the average guy has to be free before committing to work and family.

60/40 female to male ratio :eat:

How did you make this about incels when we are having a real discussion about education and the economy :gucci:

And there's plenty of incels in college not getting any hoes. In what world is going to college representative of your p*ssy rate? :gucci:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Is a lot of new job openings in the last couple years maybe it's time to go to a trade school and fill in those gaps cuz this m*********** sounds retarded