Afro's Ancestry DNA Results are In - UPDATED: I'm 36% Nigerian, 5% cac.

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't understand the question :jbhmm:

Down South?

My Grandfather was born in Berkley County, SC.
the low country is the Coastal part of SC (Berkely is metro Charleston so it would be a part of the low country), IIRC Blacks with roots from there and the Coastal part of GA have the highest percentage of African bloodlines of any subgroup of Black-Americans

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to send theirs in.

I'm too curious though.

I feel you. And I'm definitely not mad at that answer. I just don't like the idea of someone now having a sample of my DNA. I don't know who they sell the information to etc. But I'm not mad at the curiosity :salute:

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
People from the low country lean more towards Ivory coast/Ghana and Senegambia/Mali than Nigeria and some of those other areas when it comes to Ancestry.com from what i noticed.

That is interesting, I need to take more tests then to confirm this :jbhmm:

Reading the brief history of Benin/Togo though :wow:

the low country is the Coastal part of SC (Berkely is metro Charleston so it would be a part of the low country), IIRC Blacks with roots from there and the Coastal part of GA have the highest percentage of African bloodlines of any subgroup of Black-Americans

:blessed:

We really can't be out here PAWGing then :damn:

I feel you. And I'm definitely not mad at that answer. I just don't like the idea of someone now having a sample of my DNA. I don't know who they sell the information to etc. But I'm not mad at the curiosity :salute:

African Ancestry.com's site says they DO NOT sell your information, so take that as you will :ehh:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
People from the low country lean more towards Ivory coast/Ghana and Senegambia/Mali than Nigeria and some of those other areas when it comes to Ancestry.com from what i noticed.
yeah if my knowledge of Africa is correct aren't those the heaviest rice producing parts of West Africa and why many slaves from that sub region ended up in Coastal GA/SC?

Daps
Reppin
Memphis
How long did it take yours to come back? Mine arrived at their center on the 9th. Now i’m just playing the waiting game.
:patrice:

Also I heard there was a way that we could email them to destroy our dna sample after we get our results. You know anything else about that?

And this is a good site to help understand your african results. He broke stuff down pretty good.
AncestryDNA Regions

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I just got these results this morning, but Nigeria, Benin, and Togo are extremely close together so its not out the realm of possibility.

The 2% Arab makes sense (Thats the Asian) but the Scandinavian is curious. I'm assuming someone was mixed way back but who knows.

That is as far as they break it down :francis:

Reading a little bit before I go to work I could belong to a few different tribes, they don't break it down to the ethnic groups, at least in the case of Nigeria which has a few.

EDIT: Looks like I gotta really dig because of their maps. Are they accurate?

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/origins/5266FE8F-0E26-4F8F-9076-95DB56F2D0C7/ethnicity/Nigeria/history

img5.jpg

Don't know if the link works but,

Hausa and Fulani = Blue

Yoruba = Orange

Igbo = Green

BttrIGQ.jpg

Seems accurate and if I am reading you right you seem to have A LOT of Hausa/Fulani which proves AAs have a lot of Sahelian ancestry. Did NOT know Ancestry DNA broke it down further to ethnic groups. Whenever AAs showed alot of Nigerian I wondered WHICH ethnic group.