Afro's Ancestry DNA Results are In - UPDATED: I'm 36% Nigerian, 5% cac.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
If I were you, I get test results from multiple sources.
I wonder how they differentiate Benin and Nigeria?
Good amount of Senegalese ancestry...those are cool people :salute:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
How long did it take yours to come back? Mine arrived at their center on the 9th. Now i’m just playing the waiting game.
:patrice:

Also I heard there was a way that we could email them to destroy our dna sample after we get our results. You know anything else about that?

And this is a good site to help understand your african results. He broke stuff down pretty good.
AncestryDNA Regions

I don't know about having it destroyed, but I'll look into it :ehh:

It was at least two and a half weeks from when they said "We are processing your DNA"

Seems accurate and if I am reading you right you seem to have A LOT of Hausa/Fulani which proves AAs have a lot of Sahelian ancestry. Did NOT know Ancestry DNA broke it down further to ethnic groups. Whenever AAs showed alot of Nigerian I wondered WHICH ethnic group.

The picture with the color I think is just drawing out lines of separation. They don't go into detail as far as ethic groups.

I could be Yoruba or Hasua/Fulani from how the map looks.:yeshrug:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:salute:good

:ufdup:now stop being a c00n its not good for your health

Chubbs

History Remembers Kings
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
What is up with black owned businesses and charging 2x as much for shyt :gucci:
They don't have the outside funding the others have from universities and research groups.

They specialize in one thing.

Ancestry.com is a large company worth hundreds of millions, individuals and institutions pay for subscriptions to their massive multinational genealogy and history resources, DNA testing is just one service they offer.

23andme is a biotech company along with the DNA stuff. They've had major investors like Google (Sergei Brin's ex is a founder) and large venture capitalist firms. They do a lot of medical research and got the attention of NIH, universities, academic institutions and other respected genetics nerd groups.

National Geographic...is National Geographic

Same pattern seen with other black-owned companies; lack the capital, investments, connections, support

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Do both sides of your fam trace back to SC?

No idea, the test didn't split it between paternal and maternal.

I see that African Ancestry does so that is very good. i will save up the money for them.

These tests can't ever tell you what ethnic group you're from. Even that Nigeria map that cut the country into three is inaccurate in varying degrees

Something told me that was the case. You can't split em up as neatly as that.

Hopefully @EastCoastNaga 's test has more information on it.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
How long did it take yours to come back? Mine arrived at their center on the 9th. Now i’m just playing the waiting game.
:patrice:

Also I heard there was a way that we could email them to destroy our dna sample after we get our results. You know anything else about that?

And this is a good site to help understand your african results. He broke stuff down pretty good.
AncestryDNA Regions

Setting the Record Straight: Ancestry and Your DNA – Ancestry Blog

If you provide us a sample of your saliva, we’ll analyze it to tell you more about where you come from. The sample, and the resulting data, are yours. You have the ability to download it at any time. You can request that we delete your data and destroy your physical sample at any time and we will do so.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
These tests can't ever tell you what ethnic group you're from. Even that Nigeria map that cut the country into three is inaccurate in varying degrees

I don't think that is true.

My mother's hapologroup came back L2c on 23andme and National Geographic, which is Mandingo/Mandinka. Fwiw, on Ancesty.com, when you add up all of my mother's ethnic regions she came back with over 40% of her DNA from the modern countries of Ivory Coast and Mali (which includes Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea), which is where the Mandingos live.

My father hapologroup came back E-M263.2on 23andme and National Geographic, which comes back closely related to the Bamileke/Bamoun-Bamum of Cameroon, who are subgroups of the Tikar people. Ancestry even says on their website that:

"...Although the Cameroon/Congo region is incredibly diverse, with more than 200 different ethnic groups, our genetic profile for the region is primarily represented by samples from the Cameroon Grasslands, where the largest populations are subgroups of the Bamileke and Bamum peoples. These tribes’ origins are not known, but it appears that in the 17th century, they moved south into Cameroon in a series of migrations to avoid enslavement—and, in some cases, forced conversion to Islam—by the Fulani peoples. Cameroon’s west and northwest provinces are the country’s most densely populated regions. The populous Bamileke tend to be Christian and live in small fons, or chiefdoms, in highly organized villages led by local chiefs. The less populous Bamum tend to be Muslim and have a more centralized social structure under a high king... ."

Learn about the Cameroon Ethnicity - AncestryDNA

So they are indicating the tribes and if that is not enough you can Gedmatch your results to find out your ethnic groups.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That is interesting, I need to take more tests then to confirm this :jbhmm:

Reading the brief history of Benin/Togo though :wow:

AncestryDNA advises you not to take the regions literally. They are just saying that your DNA looks like people in that region. A high Benin/Togo score could also mean that you have a great amount of DNA from a place like Burkina Faso or countries that neighbor Togo/Benin. Since Burkina Faso is not a region that Ancestry tests for then Togo/Benin could be the default region, because your DNA looks the most like the folks in that country.

AncestryDNA Regions