AI that’s smarter than humans? Americans say a firm “no thank you.”

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's just a tool. It'll change our society like automobiles, airplanes, and computers did.​
Time will tell. In the short term it'll definitely increase productivity and replace some jobs. Long term, as A.I. systems become more capable and intermix with other upcoming tech (such as Quantum Computing and Genetic Engineering etc) it could potentially alter what it means to be human.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Prior to 2023 I hardly paid attention to A.I. I always considered it something that would concern us in the far distant future. Now I think we're legitimately on the precipice of A.I. truly distrupting human society. Its hard to pinpoint where we'll be 5 - 10 years from now.

this is as world changing as the advent of the internet and smartphones, probably even more so.

in 5 years A.I models on mobile devices will probably be commonplace. people will very likely be able to "call" their phone and speak with their A.I. i'm not saying it'll be sentient but that "chatbot" will be vocal.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Time will tell. In the short term it'll definitely increase productivity and replace some jobs. Long term, as A.I. systems become more capable and intermix with other upcoming tech (such as Quantum Computing and Genetic Engineering etc) it could potentially alter what it means to be human.
Either that, or, exterminate all humans.

Ever read "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison?​

Daps
Robots will be here fighting wars too. Get ready and find one of those cryogenic chambers.....wait 1,000 years and hope Aloy saves us.

aloy-horizon.gif

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Because it still relies on human input to 'think'.​

not sure what input you're talking about exactly, do you mean human input as in a prompt before it responds? then yes it needs to be prompted to start/initiate a reply.

if by input you mean human data then synthetic data is the future ...

3J4y75x.png

4Oop0O2.png

FEsYtCC.png

Last edited:

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this is as world changing as the advent of the internet and smartphones, probably even more so.

in 5 years A.I models on mobile devices will probably be commonplace. people will very likely be able to "call" their phone and speak with their A.I. i'm not saying it'll be sentient but that "chatbot" will be vocal.
Yes, definitely. And the capability of A.I. models 5 years from now will probably be insane. Everyone will have a personal genius in their pocket.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Either that, or, exterminate all humans.

Ever read "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison?​
Not yet. I'll check it out. I'm interested in sci fi books dealing with A.I. If A.I. does become sentient hopefully it is a reflection of humanity's good qualities and has more compassion than us.