Akon: “Nick Cannon can have as many kids as he wants, I have 9! Who gives a f*ck about attending their recitals? That’s some white man sh*t!”

Is Akon right?

• Total voters

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Akon’s mentality is the typical patriarchal African mentality (part of it is also polygamy which is normal in African/Muslim societies) that is firm in gender roles. And the man’s role will always be the provider/protector while the woman’s role will always be to nurture the kids & home keeping. The guy is also rich - so it’s a double-whammy. I don’t think he’s advocating for deadbeat absentee dads tho.

I think people generally need more exposure & the world is a big place. All the modern frenzy & stuff people do on social media & in certain climes isn’t applicable to most parts of the world - western world is a small fraction of the world. Other places are still stuck in their way of life & popular beliefs in the west won’t change that.

He’s African so having a bunch of kids and multiple wives/mistresses is reg shyt.

That doesn’t work in American society.

I'm not sure of Akon's situation but I think he is polygamist. It's not exactly easy to plan a family getaway to build in those circumstances

I am surprised Akon feels this way though. All my Nigerian friends in America with kids do all that stuff. They have to or it looks odd when their kids are the only ones whose dad is always missing.

Didn't think this would be controversial. This is a traditional African perspective. I don't necessarily agree with it, but this is how its been going down for a long ass time. My Grandfather had 3 wives I believe.

Yea this definitely a cultural difference thing.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
African village mindset.

Works in a village/tight community.

Doesn't work outside of that.

The the kids will turn into either fakkits, "alts" or decide to emulate what's "cool" in the culture even if it's negative or dysfunctional.

It's how you end up with BULLshyt like this

03EJJOHNSON3-jumbo.jpg

A real father anywhere over the past 3000 years would have lost that kid in the woods..

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
He's not wrong, but he isn't totally right either. There's a balance, you gotta find time to pay bills and support your kids too.

Yeah don't miss your sons little league championship game or your daughters ballet recital she has been working on for months to make $200-300 that isn't really worth it. However if you gonna be making a substantial amount of money that will benefit your whole family for a long period of time yeah your kids gonna have to understand why you missed out.

This is why I'm not team LLC gang I'm 'work 7-330' or '4 10's and 2 8's' get my benefits and go home and spend time with my child. My career allows me to be able to do this, because I learned FROM MY FATHER that you have to be able to prioritize between the two.

My dad worked on the road a lot in my young years, by the time I was 10 he wasn't on the road like that anymore, he was at home working teaching his sons how to be men when he wasn't. He was able to do that because being on the road allowed him to get better paying jobs back home, so when the time came he wasn't taking a huge paycut to stay home with us.

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
"Just." :russ:

Black ppl are plagued by a lack of resources, y'all sound crazy in here.
Or….some of us can understand different perspectives. My mom wasn’t in my life because she worked and “did what she had to do.”

We have no relationship.

Obviously black people don’t have a lot of assets and resources but that doesn’t mean go to the utmost extreme and just work, fukk your kids life and say here I provided financially. When that kid isn’t there to care about you when you 60+ that shyt hits different.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The hell..:mjtf:

You just described Africa and African America.

You think multiple kids, mistresses and side wives are unique to African dudes only..breh we can pull up the stats:what:
Nope

You are comparing a widely accepted cultural practice that has been going on for centuries to the decline of the black family over the last few decades

Men here may keep side pieces and mistresses but most women are not cool with that these nikkas out here married to multiple women at the same time

It’s not the same and as we can clearly see it doesn’t work in America.