American Cities Are The Same Compared to Europe

Discussion in 'The Locker Room' started by Sankofa Alwayz, May 16, 2021.

1. Sankofa Alwayz

Sankofa Alwayz #ADOS #D(M)V #KnowThyself #RIPDogMasterX

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Pretty Girl County, MD
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

So this article on Quora popped up on my home page feed on there (it’s a pretty interesting site) where the OP is asking why are American cities so boring and uniformly similar to each other compared to European cities. The person who replied is most likely a Cac because the answer sounds like some shyt I’d see on City-Data :mjlol:

The reply starts of by saying that there are only three (3) American cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans....Everywhere else is Cleveland.

Jerry B Wiley's answer to Why are American cities essentially all the same and boring comparative to Europe? - Quora

What y’all think about this shyt?

gabbo, sdizzle, JadeB and 2 others dapped this.
  2. MischievousMonkey

MischievousMonkey Gor bu dëgër

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

I'm not gonna act like I'm an expert of European metropolitan architecture but

this sounds bs lol. At least I hope he's not including Hausmann's Paris in his analysis.

3. Numb Vaccine Arm

Numb Vaccine Arm Moderna Boi Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $323834.60

1. Its half true. It's unfair really to compare a cities built for efficiency over aesthetics. That "human" shyt is just that...shyt. It's why Paris is so stunning to people is because almost all of it was deliberately aesthetic and somewhat efficient. Most other places in Europe was basically build where the fukk you can. However, outside of Boston, New Orleans, and a few other towns America WAS built for the Automobile.

2. Also, American cities outside of New Orleans, most of Florida and California...all American cities have rarely ever been anything but "America". Some cities in Europe have been a part of multiple countries, empires, regimes and cultures. Take a place like Prague which has influences from Romans, Visigoths, Mongols, Ottomans, Germanics and more...those are all VERY different cultures. So its unfair to compare cities that have had THOUSANDS of years of cultural influence compared to 350 years at BEST.

4. ...and some waffle fries

...and some waffle fries Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225015.00

Seen 1 major American city you seen them all. :yeshrug:

sdizzle and 2 one 3 dapped this.
  5. King Kai

King Kai turnin nothin into somethin is god work Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $301050.00

Some of it is definitely true. I think modern architecture is lazier with an emphasis on being cost effective ie: glass buildings. This doesn't just apply to the US but worldwide.

The reason NOLA is such a cool experience is because it looks so different compared to most of the country.

Solid thread by the way, I find architecture/city planning interesting as hell.

6. filial_piety

filial_piety Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    I95S
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Not sure I agree with him entirely being that the design of the majority of American cities were built before the automobile. The streets in the US were built for horse and buggy, just as they were in Europe albeit European roads and cities are far older. If you go to Philadelphia, New York, Boston etc there's major traffic and parking problems for a reason and that's because they were never intended for cars let alone millions of them.

And I don't know what he's talking about as far as walking and living comfortably...major cities in Europe are just as much a pain to get around at the US ones are.

7. the bossman

the bossman Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Norfeast D.C.
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Not at all. Cities in northeast are nothing like cities in the South or cities on West Coast.

8. Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris Reparations lol, you nikkas aint getting shyt! Hall of Shame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $344500.00

New orleans is different

9. Jekyll

Jekyll Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I lived there. Its 1000 percent true. Alot of the cribs in Italy were like they were from the stone ages on the outside. Usually the insides are more modern but stil.

And absolutely on the city design. You can walk to everywhere you need to go in european cities or take a train usually . In fact most roads are small and not built for many vehicles and are not built for large vehicles.

10. Doobie Doo

Doobie Doo Veteran

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Raleigh, NC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Aren't all major American cities like New Orleans influenced by various cultures such as French, Spanish. Haitian. African etc? I don't think it's unfair

11. ...and some waffle fries

...and some waffle fries Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225015.00

Im coming from a perspective of someone who has has travelled and lived abroad. All our cities are generally the same. The setup and look is the same.

NoirDynosaur, frush11, sdizzle and 2 others dapped this.
  12. the bossman

the bossman Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Norfeast D.C.
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

what does that have to do with anything as if you're the only person on the entire forum who's traveled or lived abroad? :mjlol:

The only general similarity you could apply across the board to American cities is the widespread use of the grid system in various parts, but that's about it. Otherwise explain how LA and Philly for example are the same?

NoirDynosaur, gabbo, Da Jungles and 2 others dapped this.
  13. Jekyll

Jekyll Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Roads, general infrastructure. I mean the American interstate road system itself is something that makes travel significantly different in Europe vs America.

JadeB dapped this.
  14. Psalms23Verse3

Psalms23Verse3 I love not to know so I can know more... Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Lost in Film
    Coli Cash:
    $315000.00

The regional planning of the Atlanta metro is trash.

BigMan, NoirDynosaur, Thanos and 4 others dapped this.
  15. Psalms23Verse3

Psalms23Verse3 I love not to know so I can know more... Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Lost in Film
    Coli Cash:
    $315000.00

But the US got the concept of interstate from the Autobahn built by the Nazi in Europe.

Sankofa Alwayz dapped this.