Another Walmart Closing

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Textbook, your statement makes a lot of sense but I disagree. Walmart is a big benefactor of food stamps and other government programs. They also are known for having busy stores and still understaff it. Only on Black Friday all registers are open. Store can be busy and they have like 5 registers open but 10 self-checkout registers. Last, many of the stores closing are the biggest or few retailers in their area. The notion of them closing stores due to the recession doesn't make sense considering store are not losing business.

Like someone said above, Amazon set the standard of making a profit without a brick and mortar.
A lot of Walmarts were open years before Amazon started making strides without having to have a building to sell products. Walmart is basically rethinking its business model, so eventually they were going to close stores.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You were just upset that black business owners open up businesses in white communities. And you said white folks don't support them. I said they do. You said they don't.. I pulled up a few and you shot them down. :yeshrug:

Its tough opening up a black owned businesses in a black neighborhood though. The brothers and sisters will disrespect your shyt. And im not talking about all black people, so please dont go their. But enough to cause you problems and even contemplate closing down..

And don't bring up what white people do to their businesses. Im not concerned and don't need them to determine how I should act.
Let's clear a couple things up. Im not upset about anything. I also dont have an issue with black businesses being in white communities. I also didnt say white people in white communities wont patron black business but I said black businesses that DONT get white patrons want the black community they didnt serve to come to them to keep their business afloat.

This is a conversation I was having with another poster. You chimed in and said white liberals keep black businesses going. I countered with an example of Batter and Berries here in Chicago since youre here and would be familiar with it. A black business in Lincoln Park (white community) that has an overwhelmingly black demographic of customers. So overwhelming that out of the 5-6 times that ive gone, Ive actually NEVER seen a white customer in the restaurant. Doesnt mean they dont get them but if no black people went there, there's no way they'd remain in business in that location on white business alone. This is also a place that leans heavily on "black owned business" despite not serving the black community. So the notion that black people wont spend money on the place if it was in Bronzeville falls flat when it's Bronzeville thats keeping that Lincoln Park restaurant open in the first place.

Im not sure what few (businesses) you pulled up. That might've been you doing so with another poster because you only mention Nothing Bundt Cakes. Which is confusing because it's not a black business at all. Not that it was needed because im not talking about all black businesses in white neighborhoods. I was talking about the ones that have exclusively patrons from black neighborhoods but are in white neighborhoods.

There are plenty black owned restaurants right in a historically black community that are not just in business, but thriving. They not worried about the Fox News tropes of "crazy nikkas listening to rap, driving around and shooting all the jobs". BnB would actually be doing BETTER if they were Bronzeville.

Daps
Textbook, your statement makes a lot of sense but I disagree. Walmart is a big benefactor of food stamps and other government programs. They also are known for having busy stores and still understaff it. Only on Black Friday all registers are open. Store can be busy and they have like 5 registers open but 10 self-checkout registers. Last, many of the stores closing are the biggest or few retailers in their area. The notion of them closing stores due to the recession doesn't make sense considering store are not losing business.
Target is the same. My Target has 1-2 registers open, and there is always a line at self checkout.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Like someone said above, Amazon set the standard of making a profit without a brick and mortar.
A lot of Walmarts were open years before Amazon started making strides without having to have a building to sell products. Walmart is basically rethinking its business model, so eventually they were going to close stores.
Sounds good in theory. When was the last time you heard of a Walmart operating in the red? Yes business restructuring happens all of the time but Walmart is a different beast. They are closing stores that stay busy. That's why I'm calling bullshyt to the issue.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let's clear a couple things up. Im not upset about anything. I also dont have an issue with black businesses being in white communities. I also didnt say white people in white communities wont patron black business but I said black businesses that DONT get white patrons want the black community they didnt serve to come to them to keep their business afloat.

This is a conversation I was having with another poster. You chimed in and said white liberals keep black businesses going. I countered with an example of Batter and Berries here in Chicago since youre here and would be familiar with it. A black business in Lincoln Park (white community) that has an overwhelmingly black demographic of customers. So overwhelming that out of the 5-6 times that ive gone, Ive actually NEVER seen a white customer in the restaurant. Doesnt mean they dont get them but if no black people went there, there's no way they'd remain in business in that location on white business alone. This is also a place that leans heavily on "black owned business" despite not serving the black community. So the notion that black people wont spend money on the place if it was in Bronzeville falls flat when it's Bronzeville thats keeping that Lincoln Park restaurant open in the first place.

Im not sure what few (businesses) you pulled up. That might've been you doing so with another poster because you only mention Nothing Bundt Cakes. Which is confusing because it's not a black business at all. Not that it was needed because im not talking about all black businesses in white neighborhoods. I was talking about the ones that have exclusively patrons from black neighborhoods but are in white neighborhoods.

There are plenty black owned restaurants right in a historically black community that are not just in business, but thriving. They not worried about the Fox News tropes of "crazy nikkas listening to rap, driving around and shooting all the jobs". BnB would actually be doing BETTER if they were Bronzeville.

Bronzeville/Hyde Park has always done well housing black owned businesses. Even Truth does well over that way. The only failure I can think of in Bronzeville would be The Negro League Cafe. But Hyde Park and Bronzeville always was a staple for black owned businesses.

But black owned businesses start running into problems when they serve liquor or merchandise unfortunately..

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
They’re just gonna have to drive further to the grocery store… I stayed in a ruff area as a kid and we had nothing in our neighborhood so we had to drive to the east side for groceries… now we have a food max, and that’s all we have besides a dollar general… basically stores who take ebt.

Same here Breh.

Now it's somewhat different. There are a couple actual grocery stores within a few minutes drive of the hood now.

But growing up it was weird.. looking back at it. Literally zero actual grocery stores on my side of town. Tons of curb markets and shyt tho. But not even any fast food spots besides the Church's Chicken that seems like it was there before me and it's still going strong.

Sometime in the 90s. I was ordering food there, through the bulletproof enclosure, when a worker walked out and started going up the street. The manager was like "Hold on for just one minute"

He chased the worker down, put hands, feet, and kneecaps on the Breh. And brought him back to work.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sounds good in theory. When was the last time you heard of a Walmart operating in the red? Yes business restructuring happens all of the time but Walmart is a different beast. They are closing stores that stay busy. That's why I'm calling bullshyt to the issue.

Its not just Walmart though. The Walmart that closed in the Chicago black neighborhood was preceded by two Targets. Whole Foods ran out of the hood also. Its not just Walmart where I live.

It's fcked up if a profitable store closes solely on racism even when they're making a profit. Thats beyond stupid.