Any teachers on here?

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
My wife teaches middle schoolers at a charter school. I don't think I would have the patience to work with kids. I don't know how she does it cause she's easily irritated by everything.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'm not a real teacher yet. I just work as a sub. But I haven't faced any challenges to be honest. I love the kids and I love educating the youth. I guess one thing I had to switch up is how relatable I am to them. I mean I'm young and you know how little kids look at young teachers calling me "Mr. Cool" and "Best teacher ever" :to:
Sometimes I can be a little too friendly with em. So nowadays I make sure I stay stern. But the most important aspect for me is I don't act like a sub. When I walk in the classroom I make sure they know I am the legit teacher and not a sub. It runs very smoothly for me. I do middle school btw.

I tried kindergarten one time and it was :huhldup:. Crying and poop. Constant nagging and snotty noses. Threw that to the bushes quick. High school kids are just boring. So middle school is the most fun and rewarding
I'm getting certified for 7-12.

Subbing sounds like a nightmare to me. Takes me back to my high school days dudes giving absent dudes names to cut class, paper balls, fights breaking out. :huhldup:

I can start subbing by next year. They're offering me $100 a day.

Archangel

Banned
Daps

Subbing sounds like a nightmare to me. Takes me back to my high school days dudes giving absent dudes names to cut class, paper balls, fights breaking out. :huhldup:

Not for me. Its a very enjoyable experience. I've already had teachers ask me to apply at their respective schools once I complete my degree.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
English and I stay in Alabama. I love the kids man and I want the young black boys to see an educated and successful black man everyday they walk in the classroom because most of them think that success is what Hollywood portrays the black man as on tv. I want to make a difference.

Any certification like the NCATE?

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps

Which state are you in?

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
New York

Thought about teaching that since I was naturally good at it but there's too much bullshyt in the history textbooks.
Only social studies teachers who aren't worth a damn teach from a textbook. People like to cry about the CCSS, but their whole intent is to promote independent critical thinking in the social studies class room.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Only social studies teachers who aren't worth a damn teach from a textbook. People like to cry about the CCSS, but their whole intent is to promote independent critical thinking in the social studies class room.
How do you go about it?

As I got older I realized how white washed history was and it turned me off to it for the state exams kids need to know that bullshyt and pretend it's reality.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
How do you go about it?

As I got older I realized how white washed history was and it turned me off to it for the state exams kids need to know that bullshyt and pretend it's reality.
Well, ultimately you are working for the government, so you can't go too far off the reservation and be on some 9/11 truther shyt.

But, the reality is that memorizing content isn't learning. I love history and don't remember a damn thing I learned in high school. Hell, I hardly learned anything from my B.A. in history. My point is, it's the skills of history that should be taught. Those are what last. So, reading about history from a variety of sources, being critical of those sources, drawing conclusions from the synthesis of the evidence in those sources, and communicating those conclusions verbally or through writing. That's the emphasis (i.e. - skill based instruction). If you think about it, that's exactly what's missing from the national political dialogue. Anyway, I digress.

As for content, it's really just big ideas, and some specifics to highlight those ideas. At best, you'll be lucky if even the most motivated kids remember anything more than the big ideas by the following year. So, take something controversial...19th century European Imperialism. We might start with Kipling's "White Man's Burden" and Labouchere's "Brown Man's Burden", and as many excerpts from primary accounts as I can find. I just searched quick, but something like this is pretty basic. Its just as important for them to draw a thoughtful conclusion than it is for them to necessarily remember it....because they wont. But, if they arrive upon it on their own, they're more likely to. And, more importantly, they can repeat that process in the future to learn whatever they want in a responsible manner.

Last edited:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
My sister teaches I think 4th-8th (maybe as young as 2nd grade). Been doing it for I think 2-3 years now. It's in them rough Englewood schools, but she's a huge part of their turn around program. I'm proud of her cause she's got to have a lot of tolerance to do it. After saying that I was suggested to work with special needs kids or kids at Pace (out here thats where kids go when they get kicked out) I don't have that tolerance at all that my sister does.

I have a passion to see kids excel, I always want to be sure kids have what they need. Maybe one summer I'll work at a summer camp or something. Or maybe at a boys & girls club.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
@kp404 is a history teacher. He taught high school American history & taught college courses i think in Carbondale.

lol I always mention him in these threads in hopes he'd one day see them :mjcry:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
My sister teaches I think 4th-8th (maybe as young as 2nd grade). Been doing it for I think 2-3 years now. It's in them rough Englewood schools, but she's a huge part of their turn around program. I'm proud of her cause she's got to have a lot of tolerance to do it. After saying that I was suggested to work with special needs kids or kids at Pace (out here thats where kids go when they get kicked out) I don't have that tolerance at all that my sister does.

I have a passion to see kids excel, I always want to be sure kids have what they need. Maybe one summer I'll work at a summer camp or something. Or maybe at a boys & girls club.
Englewood, Chicago :picard:

That's good to hear and those kids need it the most. From experience kids really start veering off the summer between 6th and 7th grade. Those are very important years.