Anybody think Kanye fell off after Late Registration?

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
See, I was hype for The College Dropout.
I remember when he was putting his mixtapes out before the album and while his rhymes have never been great, he found a good balance between substance/humor.
Plus, his beats was cool.
When The College Dropout came out, I loved that joint. I loved it so much that when Late Registration came out the next year, I slept on it a bit.
I liked it, but I was still hooked on The College Dropout.
It was years later when I really saw the genius in Late Registration.
But the songs on The College Dropout were so strong and great. Ye had a lot to say in between some humor here and there.
But I hear u.
I think for some people, The College Dropout has this demo like feel to it and since that album, Kanye has added more layers to his producer w/ other producers help
So some people now listen to The College Dropout and it almost sounds too "demo like" to em'.
But I like it cause the songs were strong and it does have that "I made this in my bedroom studio feel to it/while digging through my parents vinyl feel"
Plus again, the songs were strong. Ye actually had some stuff to say when he won't trying to be funny with a line or 2.

:obama: Yeah, I hear you on that. I love that dusty, old-school hip hop sound too, so it was great that Kanye was one of the guys keeping soul samples in rap music alive but with a modern approach. With everything that Kanye has done in the 2010s in terms of his music, I wish he could resurrect that College Dropout sound at some point.

From listening to his older work, Kanye came off as a regular guy that just wanted to succeed. Everyone was doubting him, saying he should just stick to the beats (even Jay-Z) but he proved everybody wrong by being the common man and becoming successful off it. His ego wasn't on a runaway train yet, it felt like he actually had something important to say, and he was more aware of everyone's perception of him. He was never the best rapper alive, but his music was interesting and he was capable of saying a lot with just a few simple lines (like the first verse of "Can't Tell Me Nothing"). Nowadays, he's way too consumed by side projects and the nightmare Hollywood lifestyle to do anything remotely similar to College Dropout. Hell, I don't think he even has another Graduation in him. :mjcry:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
:obama: Yeah, I hear you on that. I love that dusty, old-school hip hop sound too, so it was great that Kanye was one of the guys keeping soul samples in rap music alive but with a modern approach. With everything that Kanye has done in the 2010s in terms of his music, I wish he could resurrect that College Dropout sound at some point.

From listening to his older work, Kanye came off as a regular guy that just wanted to succeed. Everyone was doubting him, saying he should just stick to the beats (even Jay-Z) but he proved everybody wrong by being the common man and becoming successful off it. His ego wasn't on a runaway train yet, it felt like he actually had something important to say, and he was more aware of everyone's perception of him. He was never the best rapper alive, but his music was interesting and he was capable of saying a lot with just a few simple lines (like the first verse of "Can't Tell Me Nothing"). Nowadays, he's way too consumed by side projects and the nightmare Hollywood lifestyle to do anything remotely similar to College Dropout. Hell, I don't think he even has another Graduation in him. :mjcry:

I couldn't have said any of this any better. Great post:salute: Yup. :wow::mjcry:

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
None of the songs Graduation come close to being as great as the songs on The College Dropout as well as Late Registration.
Only song on The College Dropout that's weak is School Spirit.
Workout Plan is straight ass. And like the other breh said Breathe In Breathe Out ain’t nothing special, Get Em High is ok but also not great, and We Don’t Care has aged badly too. And too many damn skits

Can’t Tell Me Nothing, Good Life, and Flashing Lights are some of the best, impactful hit singles of the 2000’s. All on the same album

Let’s not even get into how monsterous Stronger was. All while still keeping the soulful Ye alive on the album as well (The Glory, Homecoming, Everything I Am, etc :wow:)

Only legitimate filler joint on there is the Drunk and Hot Girls shyt. Grad has become unappreciated as time goes on

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
He literally dropped 3 classics after LR:

Grad
808s
MBDTF

And I like TLOP

Kanye in 04-05 was so raw tho bc his sound & approach was refreshing...even his features those 2 yrs were potent

No one comes close to Yeezy’s catalogue

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Graduation, 808s, MBDTF? All borderline if not classics and albums that shifted the musical landscape of hip hop

Yeezus and TLOP ain't classics but they're not BAD albums either. They would be considered groundbreaking classics if it wasn't Kanye who made them and the high expectations he's set musically. Both got joints all over them

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I didn't even really like graduation tbh. So I don't know if I'd call it a 'fall off' from my perspective.

Maybe to Kanye fan's that might be a point where you can see a shift I suppose.