Anyone else 30+ yrs old that is "stuck" on their era of music?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I remember coming across a link to a study online that showed that most people stop checking for newer music by the time they are 32 and are comfortable with their era. I think with hip hop because so culture and trend base they are probably some older heads who peep their head in and check out what new music is popping and of course theres always people in different scenes like the underground who make music similar to their era or artists they liked growing up still going. Probably like that in other genres too

So its natural

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
I'm 37. 80 percent of the rap music I listen to is from my era. My era being my "childhood to college" (so like 94 to 05). That's my Golden era and what I gravitate too. "Digging" for new music takes time, so I try to use the booth or internet list to find newer stuff I like (I recently made a thread about best rap albums in an attempt to do this). I recently fell in love in with Larry June's music.
My mindset is different now (the content has to be about something other than glorification of negativity and they have to be able to spit), so if an artist doesn't fit my criteria, I don't even check for them. I'm aware Da baby and Lil Baby are hot but outside of a few songs, they dont appeal to me.

The other 20 percent of music listening is split between spent sampling "the best" of current music from all genres and revisiting old stuff. Like this week I've been bumping: Larry June, Cee Lo is Thomas Callaway, Royce Latest Album, and Prince.

For me to get into new rap music long term (I'll enjoy a catchy song like Suge but not really get into the artist) it has to be special (content, lyrics, artist perspective, etc.) it has to be as good as classics from my era or I wont fukk with it long term.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
most modern shyt I listen to either is influenced by the era I grew up in, or it's modern music by older artists.[/B]..and I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff from any genre to keep me sane

yep

its funny cause I was always the one buying everything that came out...so my brother and cousins always hit me up asking what i think of the new whatever and I dont even know that the new whatever dropped or who the new whatever is

then i sit there with the :unimpressed:trying to catch up

i appreciate alot of new shyt for the production and the flows they're coming up with...it just dont grab me the same and i rarely revisit

I don't get stuck in eras. I mean technically my era was mid 2000 snap garbage because that's when I came of age.

I've always gravitated more to music based on content. I like one off songs from a lot of young brehs when they saying something I wanna hear.

I wouldn’t say I’m stuck on this period but I’d say the years of 93-03 is the time go back to the most becuz I was 12-22. I think those years age wise is where music leaves the biggest impression on you. After that your usually around the same age as most artists and tend to look that then a little different. But I still bump all kinds of new shyt if it’s dope

Should try venturing into other genres, there’s a too much great music today. For example just skim through all the highly rated albums of the past years, no matter genre. You might find a lot of shyt that you didn’t know you fukked with.

there’s a lot of great underground hiphop of course, but if you widen your search you might find a lot of great things. Of course like a computer it will also take more of your time

I wont say I’m stuck...but I will say I have a “default” and that’s Hip-Hop/R&B from 94-96. If I get in the whip and start my iTunes with no with no particular intent, I’ll likely go to music from that era.

But I’m just as likely to lock in with Larry June, Sada Baby, Roddy Rich, Mozzy, or Maxo Kream depending on my mood.

if youre 30+ and have time to check out new music (all the time) you probably have some fuked up priorities.

If anything, I find myself going back and checking out music before my time.
R&B, Classic Rock, Jazz, Funk, etc...

Hearing shyt from pre 80s really does show me that music was better back in those days.
You cant even compare it to now.

QUOTE="Sunalmighty, post: 38231632, member: 9152"]I'm 40. Getting into jazz, movie themes/scores.

If I listen to hip hop.. Nas, Wu, Hiero, etc.[/QUOTE]

I still occasionally listen to new music. I shazam songs I hear in movies, video games, tv shows, commercials, or out and about that catch my ear. I fukked with the Polo G joint that dropped last year. But I don't listen nowhere near enough to speak knowledgeably about current music trends or what's hot. I long ago gave up the desire to even chase that knowledge. It used to be a lot of "work" listening to a bunch of new artists, and half of it was listening trying to decide if I even liked it or not...which was fun for a time when I was into debating on forums, but not as much now that I'm older.

I listen to podcasts and books mainly on my commutes now, and that was mainly when I used to listen to new music in my 20's. But now I'm much more likely to try a new book or jump into a podcast discussing a current event, than to throw on some tunes. Hell, same with when I'm working out or at work. So the time I even have available to listen to music has drastically decreased, with much of that time being cannibalized by a desire to listen to a book or podcast. When I finally do get around to wanting to hear music, I tend to go to something I know I already like, which is dead easy now that I have created playlists for specific moods I'm in.

All that said, I can't fully say I have given up on seeking out new music because I actually do spend a fair amount of time researching music and trying it out. But it's not new music, as in released in 2020, it's music prior to 1980 that is new to my ears. It's a joy listening to music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's for the first time, and "discovering" what made that music classic. I love when I'm listening to a random 70's track and hit the:ohhh:when I realize the song was sampled by a rap song I love or has the same hook. I have much more fun trying that time period of music out than trying to check what's hot in 2020.

I relate or feel the same about the bolded.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I still listen to new hip hop.
I have basically completely checked out of the music that is now marketed as “hip hop”.
I feel as though I didn’t stop liking hip hop. Hip hop changed so much that it ceased to qualify as hip hop.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Ehhhh somewhat. I’m just fortunate enough that there’s a lot of vets still putting out quality new music, and there’s enough newer guys that resonate with me.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
good music is good music..

but late 90s/early 00s hiphpp rnb>>>>>

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
All that said, I can't fully say I have given up on seeking out new music because I actually do spend a fair amount of time researching music and trying it out. But it's not new music, as in released in 2020, it's music prior to 1980 that is new to my ears. It's a joy listening to music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's for the first time, and "discovering" what made that music classic. I love when I'm listening to a random 70's track and hit the:ohhh:when I realize the song was sampled by a rap song I love or has the same hook. I have much more fun trying that time period of music out than trying to check what's hot in 2020.

I love going to whosampled.com and listening to what samples certain songs used and listening to the originals.

I’ve listened to MJ probably more than any other artist in any genre, but I didn’t discover Maybe Tomorrow until I heard the Ghostface song.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I keep up with awareness and knowledge of artists moreso than I actually listen to, but I follow current artists too. I would echo a lot of responses, saying that at 34, I can't listen to the negative, and nihilistic music, hardly at all, from a lot of the younger acts. Also, don't like the drugged out relationship, Juice Wrld, xxtencacion either. But, I know their music. I have seen too much violence, death, degradation to celebrate that music the way I once may have. My daily is R&B, mid-late 90's to early 2000's. The Weeknd "After Hours" was my favorite album of the year. I like Gotti's new track too. I like Drakeo the Ruler, but I don't listen to him much. 42 Dugg in small doses.