Anyone else successfully learn a new language? (OFFICIAL COLI LANGUAGE THREAD)

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yea haitian creole. Easy ass language to learn. Im already listening to some cartoons. Made about 300 flash cards so far

Can already pick out some words from this cartoon, but they speak a lil fast for me.

Show me what you mean tho

Ok.

Tell me what this means:
Bam tet mwen souple
On sel douette paka manje kalaloo
Wap menan et pa vre?
Wap konn jorge!

Even if you "translate" this into english, you won't get a grasp on what it means until you hear it in context. You would have to understand it in Kreyol. There's no one to one conversion in different languages. Best way to do is to just listen all day to haitian media that you find interesting.

Forget the books and grammar, just listen to how we talk and when you hear a word or something, look it up. I learned kreyol fluently just from hearing it all the time. I never studied it nor went to school, i was simply immersed in it. Then listen to that same thing again and again and again! make playlists on youtube. it'll take a while but sooner or later you'll start to pick up entire phrases and then that one word that you 'thought" you understood will make much more sense.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
Ok.

Tell me what this means:
Bam tet mwen souple
Wap menan et pa vre?
Wap konn jorge!

Even if you "translate" this into english, you won't get a grasp on what it means until you hear it in context. You would have to understand it in Kreyol. There's no one to one conversion in different languages. Best way to do is to just listen all day to haitian media that you find interesting.

Forget the books and grammar, just listen to how we talk and when you hear a word or something, look it up. I learned kreyol fluently just from hearing it all the time. I never studied it nor went to school, i was simply immersed in it. Then listen to that same thing again and again and again! make playlists on youtube. it'll take a while but sooner or later you'll start to pick up entire phrases and then that one word that you 'thought" you understood will make much more sense.

i get what you mean. Translate those for me so i can add them to my phrases deck in my flashcards.
I keep phrases like
Sak pa kontan...anbake

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Being from California, I see this all the time. But it always trips me out when I see a parent, a grown ass adult, out and about around town, or at some kinda meeting with their kids schoolteachers or whatever....and they got their 5 or 6 year old kid translating for them.

Like, how do you let your 6 year old kid be better at english than you are? You two live in the same household. How is that possible? I realize the kid goes to school, but damn. If you live in a country that speaks a different language I cant understand how it could possible take more than 3 years for one to become fluent.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
Being from California, I see this all the time. But it always trips me out when I see a parent, a grown ass adult, out and about around town, or at some kinda meeting with their kids schoolteachers or whatever....and they got their 5 or 6 year old kid translating for them.

Like, how do you let your 6 year old kid be better at english than you are? You two live in the same household. How is that possible? I realize the kid goes to school, but damn. If you live in a country that speaks a different language I cant understand how it could possible take more than 3 years for one to become fluent.
Cause the country is segregated enough that you can function without english.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Cause the country is segregated enough that you can function without english.

I get it...but thats a choice. I know lots of people that live here and only communicate with other people that speak spanish all day everyday.

I was doin some shyt at one of the hotels I work for, and the housekeeper comes in and is having a discussion with the hotel manager. They had to get one of the front desk clerks in the middle to translate otherwise they could absolutely not communicate with each other.

I gave the housekeeper a sheet of paper that said, "After the guest in room 203 checks out, please clean the room"

bytch looked at me confused as fukk. Had no idea what was written on that paper. I took spanish for 3 months of my life, but if someone gave me that phrase written in spanish I could absolutely understand it.

I just feel like we have a bunch of people in California, adults at that, they INSIST on living here, but REFUSE to learn how to speak english, for whatever reason.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
I get it...but thats a choice. I know lots of people that live here and only communicate with other people that speak spanish all day everyday.

I was doin some shyt at one of the hotels I work for, and the housekeeper comes in and is having a discussion with the hotel manager. They had to get one of the front desk clerks in the middle to translate otherwise they could absolutely not communicate with each other.

I gave the housekeeper a sheet of paper that said, "After the guest in room 203 checks out, please clean the room"

bytch looked at me confused as fukk. Had no idea what was written on that paper. I took spanish for 3 months of my life, but if someone gave me that phrase written in spanish I could absolutely understand it.

I just feel like we have a bunch of people in California, adults at that, they INSIST on living here, but REFUSE to learn how to speak english, for whatever reason.
i hear you. English is one of the hardest languages to learn tho. My people's parents took forever to learn and they still sound like shyt

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nah m'bezwen ou pou translate lot phrase yo
Bam tet mwen souple
This is usually said in response to something someone is telling you that is annoying you. Like if someone who you just lent $20 out to yesterday is asking for $10 today talking about they broke then you could be like :childplease: "Bam twet mwen tande!" "Ou fout fet prete kob nan mem kounya wap vi mademn kob???" "Bam tet mwen!"
It's like "Get outta here smh"

This is like a proverb meaning something like it takes more than one person to do something big like you know a community banding together for a cause. It's an analogy to eating Kalaloo(Okra) saying you can't eat it with one finger(You can't tackle certain things alone.)

Wap menan et pa vre?
If a breh is :win: at something like you see him pull up to the scene with a escalade on 20's with a bad bytch on the passenger seat with a two piece and a biscuit you could be like :pachaha: "Wap menan et pa vre?". It's like a real life "dap".
Wap konn jorge!
Basically if someone is doing something and will do something that you don't approve of or you know will have negative consequences to them people will be like "Wap konn jorge..."
If a chick you fukkin with say that to you after you did something that she didn't like be careful :pachaha:. She might be planning something nefarious.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

This phenomenon proves that location doesn't equal what language you learn. If someone is physically in a country and yet they don't speak the language that's because their mindset and environment is another language. You could be in America for years yet at home spanish or w/e is the language of the house then you'll be learning Spanish.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
Bam tet mwen souple
This is usually said in response to something someone is telling you that is annoying you. Like if someone who you just lent $20 out to yesterday is asking for $10 today talking about they broke then you could be like :childplease: "Bam twet mwen tande!" "Ou fout fet prete kob nan mem kounya wap vi mademn kob???" "Bam tet mwen!"
It's like "Get outta here smh"

This is like a proverb meaning something like it takes more than one person to do something big like you know a community banding together for a cause. It's an analogy to eating Kalaloo(Okra) saying you can't eat it with one finger(You can't tackle certain things alone.)

Wap menan et pa vre?
If a breh is :win: at something like you see him pull up to the scene with a escalade on 20's with a bad bytch on the passenger seat with a two piece and a biscuit you could be like :pachaha: "Wap menan et pa vre?". It's like a real life "dap".
Wap konn jorge!
Basically if someone is doing something and will do something that you don't approve of or you know will have negative consequences to them people will be like "Wap konn jorge..."
If a chick you fukkin with say that to you after you did something that she didn't like be careful :pachaha:. She might be planning something nefarious.
ou explique bagay byen. mesi misye