Anyone else successfully learn a new language? (OFFICIAL COLI LANGUAGE THREAD)

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
If you wanna speak Spanish fluently, go to Spain and live there for a month - My HS Spanish teacher :manny:

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If you wanna speak Spanish fluently, go to Spain and live there for a month - My HS Spanish teacher :manny:
I did that last year, you aren't going to become fluent in any language in a month with out extreme dedication that i've never seen. Also, Spanish in Spain is a lil different from Spanish in Mexico which is a little different from Spanish in Costa Rica.

For example in Spain simple common words like bathroom is aseo (el baño) and juice is zumo (jugo), if you use that in mexico or central america, they are going to look at you crazy and not have any idea what you are saying or wanting.

That Spain accent too :scust:

Its a reason most Spanish learning programs offer a Spain or Latin America version. They aren't worlds apart, but Spain spanish isnt even really taught or used in the US to my knowledge.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Getting closer with Italian, working on some dialects now. Gotta start Portuguese.

Started Arabic but i need to take another class, its best learned while having an instructor. I'm actually not bad at reading it.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I did that last year, you aren't going to become fluent in any language in a month with out extreme dedication that i've never seen. Also, Spanish in Spain is a lil different from Spanish in Mexico which is a little different from Spanish in Costa Rica.

For example in Spain simple common words like bathroom is aseo (el baño) and juice is zumo (jugo), if you use that in mexico or central america, they are going to look at you crazy and not have any idea what you are saying or wanting.

That Spain accent too :scust:

Its a reason most Spanish learning programs offer a Spain or Latin America version. They aren't worlds apart, but Spain spanish isnt even really taught or used in the US to my knowledge.

Also depends on where you are too. Spain Spanish is really nasal and sounds strange. But it also has a lot of Catalan and Basque words that New World Spanish doesn't.

Same with France French and Canadian French.

Quarterback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOaI06zAvg
Daps
Reppin
Where many murders occur
I just feel like we have a bunch of people in California, adults at that, they INSIST on living here, but REFUSE to learn how to speak english, for whatever reason.
:what: Spanish was being spoken in California LONG before English was. It's like saying Africans speaking Afrikkans in Africa REFUSE to learn English for whatever reason. The reason is that they were there FIRST.

lKarukera

Banned
Daps
I learnt English by moving to Great Britain and I lived there for 10 months.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
we all have our own methods. The more words i know the more words i can pick up on during conversation.

This first week im memorizing 5000 words, next week im going to start conversation
:dead: "tell me how you did it"

"We all have our own methods :skip: "

I know a good amount about foreign language acquisition from personal and professional experience, but do what you want

You're gonna end up with a huge list of words you won't recognize or know how to use

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps

I know a good amount about foreign language acquisition from personal and professional experience, but do what you want

You're gonna end up with a huge list of words you won't recognize or know how to use
O! Tet ou chage.

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise

Agreed. It's half of the reason why the average American learner fails to learn Spanish, or any other language for that matter. The other half of the equation is patience (the lack thereof). When you study and understand a language's grammar rules, your ability to formulate and communicate will explode.

But everyone wants it the quick and easy way.