Are The Days Of The 3 Verse Format Dead?

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
:jbhmm::jbhmm:

Mostly referring to solo artist songs, but this has also been the case even for groups. Seems like songs get shorter and shorter as time goes on. That old traditional format of 3 verses + 3-4 hooks seems rare. Even the non-single/album cuts have gone this way. Doesn't matter the type of artists either. It became very alarming to me with a ton of Famous Dex songs the past couple of years, then I was ":dead:" at the first time I willingly listed to Lil' Pump's "Gucci Gang". How did we get to the point where an artist's single is 1 verse sandwiched in between long hooks :mjlol:?? Even the Ying Yang Twins have the traditional format in a bunch of their songs:russ: Not saying the shorter format is exclusively a recent thing, but it is HEAVY right now. Seems like Migos are really the only ones that stay using the normal format, as they really don't care how long their songs are.

Just posting for reference - Traditional:

Recent times:

Last edited:

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
i actually prefer shorter songs/less verses now

95% of its due to my attention span being shot :francis:

the other 5 is because, i love songs that have a different structure from the norm

sometimes that extra verse, repeating that hook, letting the beat ride out mad long...shyt is just unnecessary...wrap that shyt up b...especially if the hook, beat and flow are basically the same everytime around

Dominic Decoco

Superstar
Daps
A few local artists still do it.

Not every song but they try to keep it original.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i actually prefer shorter songs/less verses now

95% of its due to my attention span being shot :francis:

the other 5 is because, i love songs that have a different structure from the norm

sometimes that extra verse, repeating that hook, letting the beat ride out mad long...shyt is just unnecessary...wrap that shyt up b...especially if the hook, beat and flow are basically the same everytime around
True, I like random interlude joints that defy the norm.

It seems like rappers are pushing that format tho, and I don't think it's for "artistic integrity"
... at all lol

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
i’ve noticed this.

i’ve also noticed mad people cutting the song off before the third verse and switching to another song. shyt is mind blowing.

Do you know when exactly did this start happening? It's not anything new, but it's just outrageous realizing how many songs are < 3:30 now.

Just peep these examples, 21 y/o Playboi Carti:
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo1_1280.png

22 y/o Pastor Troy
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo2_1280.png

25 y/o Rich The Kid
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo3_1280.png

25 y/o T.I.
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo4_1280.png

:jbhmm::patrice:

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
:jbhmm::jbhmm:

Mostly referring to solo artist songs, but this has also been the case even for groups. Seems like songs get shorter and shorter as time goes on. That old traditional format of 3 verses + 3-4 hooks seems rare. Even the non-single/album cuts have gone this way. Doesn't matter the type of artists either. It became very alarming to me with a ton of Famous Dex songs the past couple of years, then I was ":dead:" at the first time I willingly listed to Lil' Pump's "Gucci Gang". How did we get to the point where an artist's single is 1 verse sandwiched in between long hooks :mjlol:?? Even the Ying Yang Twins have the traditional format in a bunch of their songs:russ: Not saying the shorter format is exclusively a recent thing, but it is HEAVY right now. Seems like Migos are really the only ones that stay using the normal format, as they really don't care how long their songs are.

Just posting for reference - Traditional:

Recent times:

First time hearing lil pump, I thought that shyt was a parody... How in the fukkin world does that kid get a deal?

How all these new rappers are rich from the rip?

The game sour like a pickle b

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
Do you know when exactly did this start happening? It's not anything new, but it's just outrageous realizing how many songs are < 3:30 now.

Just peep these examples, 21 y/o Playboi Carti:
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo1_1280.png

22 y/o Pastor Troy
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo2_1280.png

25 y/o Rich The Kid
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo3_1280.png

25 y/o T.I.
tumblr_p7rfhyJYJ81relfhqo4_1280.png

:jbhmm::patrice:
believe it or not i noticed around 2010 when i first came across mac miller in high school around 2:17 this nikka hardly ever spit 3 verses and i never noticed until he said the shyt. then i went back and started paying attention to other new rapper i listened to at the time and they werent doing the shyt either.

:mindblown:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I was just thinking about this while listening to NBA Youngboy...

His songs fly by but they're dope. I just felt odd that they ended so quickly. He says a lot in 2 verses.

In his case, or at lease the songs I was listening to, I think that although he didn't have a 3rd verse he still had 3 verses of bars.

The song is shorter thought cause you only get the hook 1nce or 2wice instead of 3 or 4 times

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
- Low attention span from audience
- Easier to juke streaming numbers
- Low talent rappers unable to make three coherent verses

Choose one, or all of the above lol
this is the one i definitely think of when i come across songs like this. like breh, you already can't rap, aint saying shyt, but you're that garbage you cant find a way to fill a total of 48 bars?

singers have lowkey been doing this also, all these bass heavy beats and whispery vocals, it takes a few listens to realize 2/3 of a song is just the chorus...case in point