Are you really a feminist?

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I believe in it. Men dont understand feminism, they feel threatened by it. It just means the freedom of choice for women. We can do whatever the hell we want, be it a stay at home mom, a career woman, etc. I have a problem with a stigma being attached to feminism, mainly because it's attached to white women who've made a farce out of the whole thing. As for me, I can do whatever the hell I want. If I want to be a stay at home mom, or a career woman, or a married woman who tends to her husband's needs I will do that and nobody can take away my womanhood from me. I think that's important. That's what I stand for.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I believe in it. Men dont understand feminism, they feel threatened by it. It just means the freedom of choice for women. We can do whatever the hell we want, be it a stay at home mom, a career woman, etc. I have a problem with a stigma being attached to feminism, mainly because it's attached to white women who've made a farce out of the whole thing. As for me, I can do whatever the hell I want. If I want to be a stay at home mom, or a career woman, or a married woman who tends to her husband's needs I will do that and nobody can take away my womanhood from me. I think that's important. That's what I stand for.

I agree with this, if this is feminism I am a feminist.
Honestly I feel like the term has been ruined.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps

This exactly.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
feminism isnt about equal treatment to men. if it were, they would fight for true equality. not this half ass shyt where women want to run shyt, while men are still held responsible for the fall out.

sucks that BW have been stuck in this mindset for several generations. we already see the end result--useless men you cant depend on.

but hey, do yall.its just funny how black feminist have no beef with white patriarchy. if black feminist woke up white women tomorrow, yall would have 0 complaints.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
I agree with this, if this is feminism I am a feminist.
Honestly I feel like the term has been ruined.

That is exactly what feminism is, equality and freedom. You can be a stay at home mom/wife and be a feminist and you can be a career woman and be a feminist. You can believe in traditional gender roles and traditional relationships and be a feminist. For some reason people think you have to be one certain way to be a feminist, when you don't.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That is exactly what feminism is, equality and freedom. You can be a stay at home mom/wife and be a feminist and you can be a career woman and be a feminist. You can believe in traditional gender roles and traditional relationships and be a feminist. For some reason people think you have to be one certain way to be a feminist, when you don't.

You can not like dikk and be a feminist lol.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
feminism isnt about equal treatment to men. if it were, they would fight for true equality. not this half ass shyt where women want to run shyt, while men are still held responsible for the fall out.

sucks that BW have been stuck in this mindset for several generations. we already see the end result--useless men you cant depend on.

but hey, do yall.its just funny how black feminist have no beef with white patriarchy. if black feminist woke up white women tomorrow, yall would have 0 complaints.

Don't start this nonsense. We already admitted it's problems with the movement in itself, but you as a man wouldnt understand why having the freedom to be and express yourself however you want as a woman is important. Y'all struggle is different.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't start this nonsense. We already admitted it's problems with the movement in itself, but you as a man wouldnt understand why having the freedom to be and express yourself however you want as a woman is important. Y'all struggle is different.
what you dont understand is BW have always had that freedom. you're not under the thumb of men in your community like arab women, asian women, or even white women.

there is no oppression of BW coming from BM. there seems to be this narrative that BM have it easier than BW. when is the truth is yall would probably have a rougher life as BM.

but i guess i'll never understand long as you ladies cant make a decent argument for black feminism/womanism

Raava

Staff member
Daps

Being a specific way is what is being pushed to women, not even just on here but other places.

Why pops into most peoples heads when you think feminist?

With the definition that was given by you and @Elle Driver Its easy to be everything in OP feminist pro black whatever. It doesn't mean anti man or anti black male.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
what you dont understand is BW have always had that freedom. you're not under the thumb of men in your community like arab women, asian women, or even white women.

there is no oppression of BW coming from BM. there seems to be this narrative that BM have it easier than BW. when is the truth is yall would probably have a rougher life as BM.

but i guess i'll never understand long as you ladies cant make a decent argument for black feminism/womanism
It's a broad term. It's not a black man vs black women thing. Notice I didn't mention that shyt in my post?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a broad term. It's not a black man vs black women thing. Notice I didn't mention that shyt in my post?
it's not supposed to be a BM vs BW thing, but it is. :yeshrug:

and like i said, yall really dont have a problem with white patriarchy. a lot of the same women claiming black feminist, be the same ones trynna "swirl" with cacs.

i just wish yall would understand the source of problem is race, not gender.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
it's not supposed to be a BM vs BW thing, but it is. :yeshrug:

and like i said, yall really dont have a problem with white patriarchy. a lot of the same women claiming black feminist, be the same ones trynna "swirl" with cacs.

i just wish yall would understand the source of problem is race, not gender.

Gender equality and race is a issue to us, black women, may be gender equality isnt a issue to you because you're a man.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gender equality and race is a issue to us, black women, may be gender equality isnt a issue to you because you're a man.
guess you're right. because i know women dont want true equality. yall do NOT want to be treated like men, and yall dont want the responsibilities of men either.

the whole movement is full of shyt, imo. can any of you list anything black feminism has done for BW in the last 20 yrs? i mean besides leaving yall with the negative "imma strong independent woman that dont need no man" stigma.

ExpensiveThrillz

Head In The Cloudz
Daps
Reppin
The Free & The Uplifted

this just made my eyes roll into the back of a whole other persons head. :rudy:

white supremacy/patriarchy and sexism are not the same. if i woke up as a white woman tomorrow i would have tons of valid complaints that come with housing a womb and vagina on my body....however, the difference would be that my complaints would no longer hold the additional bs associated that are unique to being a woman of color. like c'mon that can't be that hard to comprehend

it also speaks volumes to me to see men tripping over themselves to try and tear down any woman's movement. how does that serve you....or anyone for that matter? women shouldn't feel attacked, threatened, 2nd class, overworked, or underpaid. we shouldnt have to feel like we cant be what the fukk we want to be, when we want, whenever we want, and how ever we want to be it. we shouldn't have to feel like our bodies aren't ours to govern and that our minds aren't ours to use in peace and that we have to choose between being wives, mothers, scholars, professionals, etc....simply because our genitals? history has more than enough evidence to show that women are any and everything from rulers to warriors and everything else under the sun.

anyway to answer the TS question....I'm whatever you call a woman who is 100% behind us all deserving a voice to raise up in the face of unfair and unequal treatment. Women the world over have right to exist and operate freely regardless of which race it applies to. It just so happens that I'm black so my cause also specifically targets the issues that my race deal with too.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, I am a feminist in the most fundamental sense of the word. Due to how load the term is (various forms, semantical arguments, etc.), I prefer to refer to myself as a "gender egalitarian".

Cool thread by the way. Seeing different perspectives on this topic is always interesting due to just how many different types of feminism exist.