ATCQ - People’s Instinctive Travels & The Paths Of Rhythm || DISCUSSION THREAD

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Some of Tribe’s best songs are on this album.

This is one of the songs/videos that made me fall in love with hip hop and the song I used to introduce my son to the culture.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Some of Tribe’s best songs are on this album.

This is one of the songs/videos that made me fall in love with hip hop and the song I used to introduce my son to the culture.

It was a brown wallet, it had props numbers
It had my jimmy hats, I gotta get it man :to:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Heard this in a radio mix like last week. This still goes!:wow:

Why do you think puff knew it would work for biggie.

We can talk about it.
As I probably was the only one actually in hiphop real culture based parties without house ducks f',oh real for real to let you know the real.
PluS how these sellout jiggy toy ass maugs will lie to you.

Art Barr

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

I’ve been listening to this one a lot lately. Man I love this song! I especially love how they let the instrumental ride out in the end. Great ending to a great album.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
When this dropped, how it was received depended on where you were.

Bonita was a hit. I left my wallet was popular. But the album had "weird" songs. The production was left of center. The song concepts were just different.

In Houston, this wasn't a record for casuals. If you were only listening to Magic 102 , or 97.9 the box, this wasn't getting a lot of spin. But you would hear it on 1590 Raps. So we really got up on this because of Yo MTV Raps. And you had to buy the tape.

In Brooklyn, that whole squad was known to be some hippies. They was still cool, but they were different. My cousins liked Tribe, but they didn't love them. Not like me hardcore people in Houston.

I always felt like there were some subtle NYC politics going on in the fanbase as well as the industry.

Looking back on it, it makes me think about how Blackness is expanded and contracted.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
It's weird because everyone will argue between Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders and rightfully so.

But for me People's Instinctive Travels has such a chill vibe and it is a classic in its right.

But being old enough to remember this album drop in real time that whole native tongues movement and the like was really a big influence on me as a teenager and it got me more into blues and jazz.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a weird album to talk about because it's definitely a classic, but it doesn't have the same replay value (in my mind) that Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders does. I've actually listened to Beats, Rhymes, & Life more than this one.

Part of it is because Phife is barely on it and he's a big reason why Tribe works so well. Originally, I thought Q-Tip just wanted all the songs to himself, but then I found out that Phife never showed up to the studio because he was always doing his own thing. Also, Tribe is known for using a lot of jazz samples, but this album has more of a funk influence that they never used again. I forgot, but one of the songs samples "Sir Duke" in the beginning.

Regardless, this album has a lot of good songs. "Push It Along" is a classic opening track, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" tells a great story, "Bonita Applebum" is iconic because of all the songs it inspired, "Can I Kick It?" is classic (I prefer the J. Cole remix, though), and "Ham n' Eggs" might be my favorite song on the album. It's crazy to think about how diverse and creative the golden age of rap was, that you could make a great song about eating healthy and it doesn't sound corny or childish.

I think out of all the Tribe albums, this one is the most inspired by the Native Tongues. Mostly because this was when most of the relationships were still good. I feel like on People's, Tribe was a good group, but The Low End Theory made them a fantastic group.
My exact thoughts

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
I look at "Peoples..." the exact same way as "Off the Wall": an ahead of it's time, groundbreaking, energetic, fun, classic album that gets overshadowed because the artists did the near impossible of topping themselves with their follow-ups.

I love this album.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There are times that I find this to be the best Tribe album. It doesn't hit like Low End, it ain't psychedelic like Midnight, but it's the perfect mission statement for them.

I always recommend new fans to listen to the first three albums in order. MM is still my favorite, but those first three albums are incredible. This one definitely gets slept on in the general conversation