Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
lemme say this 1st & foremost
cause i know how nikkaz on here love to twist & turn posters statement

im not capping for this cac !!!!

now, with that said - he’s an icon to the party for all the work he put in (its just like any thing in life - to use analogy - Robert Byrd to the Dems is like Tony Parker to the Spurs (Tony was never the best pg in the league, he problaly wasn't even a top 5 pg at any time during his prime ... but his contributions to the franchise with helping them win multiple champion chips automatically makes Tony a SA Spurs icon)

and as far as the KKK shyt goes
you being a bit disingenuous - he was born in the south in the early 1900’s & joined or formed them in his early 20’s, leaving them a few years after... once he got into politics he still had bigot views on certain topics but as he got older his outlook changed which came roughly around the beginnjng of the 70’s. in addition he apologized thousand of times & is on record for saying it was the stupidest shyt he ever done in his life

finally i dunno whats the reasoning of making this thread & using him as an example.... and as i said before it seem like you came across this clip & ran with it
the fact your using a pic of him inna grand master KKK outfit - that’s photoshopped is completely disturbing

:snoop:
you gotta remember OP calls himself a political expert and he doesn't believe in the political system or voting.

he dumped the above video in the Donald trump thread getting called out for racist slurs to derail it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
lemme say this 1st & foremost
cause i know how nikkaz on here love to twist & turn posters statement

im not capping for this cac !!!!

now, with that said - he’s an icon to the party for all the work he put in (its just like any thing in life - to use analogy - Robert Byrd to the Dems is like Tony Parker to the Spurs (Tony was never the best pg in the league, he problaly wasn't even a top 5 pg at any time during his prime ... but his contributions to the franchise with helping them win multiple champion chips automatically makes Tony a SA Spurs icon)

and as far as the KKK shyt goes
you being a bit disingenuous - he was born in the south in the early 1900’s & joined or formed them in his early 20’s, leaving them a few years after... once he got into politics he still had bigot views on certain topics but as he got older his outlook changed which came roughly around the beginnjng of the 70’s. in addition he apologized thousand of times & is on record for saying it was the stupidest shyt he ever done in his life

finally i dunno whats the reasoning of making this thread & using him as an example.... and as i said before it seem like you came across this clip & ran with it
the fact your using a pic of him inna grand master KKK outfit - that’s photoshopped is completely disturbing

:snoop:
I'd like to know what his contributions were to the Dems. Did he cast a pivotal deciding vote for an important bill to get it through or get blocked ?. Did he chair a committee that oversaw some important reform?

Tony Parker won Finals MVP once, he was DESTROYING prime Kidd in another finals, and he routinely outplayed or gave as good as he got when matched up with the other pg throughout those finals runs.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I just remember the juelzing my relatives would do whenever this topic would come up, but you could look in their eyes and see the disappointment.

An icon? lol. A former klansman, an icon? People on here will berate and attack black folks for their forgiving nature towards whites whenever they do one of us wrong, but will turn the other cheek and try to justify Mr Obama essentially doing the same to this former klansmen.

All the evil the klan has done to our ancestors in this country, and one of their own is called an icon by Mr Obama. Yea, he can’t relate to the native black in America at all.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I certainly wouldn’t have voted for him, here’s what the NAACP had to say about Robert Byrd.

The Breitbartification of Senator Robert Byrd | HuffPost

But perhaps the most remarkable tribute came from the NAACP. In years prior, Senator Byrd received a 100% rating from the NAACP for his pro-civil rights voting record. In a statement, the group’s then-president, Ben Jealous, said:

“Senator Byrd reflects the transformative power of this nation. Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country.”

It’s remarkable when you think about it.

A man who was a member of and recruiter for the KKK, a man who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was eulogized by our first black president, whose candidacy Byrd endorsed in the 2008 primary. And the NAACP, our nation’s leading African American civil rights organization, mourned his death in a passionate statement.

Donald Trump, the man who founded the birther movement, which doubts the nationality of our first black president, has decided that he and his supporters are in the position to judge Senator Byrd’s life and Hillary Clinton’s friendship with him. Remember that Trump is also the man who was sued by Richard Nixon’s Justice Department for housing discrimination against African Americans and a man who, in an interview with NBC’s Bryant Gumbel, infamously said, in 1989, that black men have it easier than white men.

I didn’t know Senator Byrd, but if someone close to me told me that he still grappled with his prejudice up until the moment of his passing, I wouldn’t be surprised. And I would forgive him for one simple reason: he kept trying.

Senator Byrd never tried to whitewash his history. His supporters never tried to whitewash his history. And in death, his history wasn’t whitewashed. And unlike Donald Trump and his supporters, who act inconvenienced whenever they’re called out on the candidate’s insensitive and racist remarks, Senator Byrd knew that he had a lifelong responsibility to atone for his sins.

In his memoirs, which were released in 2005, Senator Byrd said, “I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don’t mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.”

Now, imagine Donald Trump saying the same thing.

If you’re a reasonable person, I’m sure you can’t even construct the thought in your mind.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yall some lost nikkas. How do yall expect people to believe in 2nd chances for the large % of incarcerated black men if yall can't even acknowledge that a dude praised by a former president and Hillary Clinton turned his life around?

And yall act like Hillary and Barack was praising him for being in the KKK. No, they were praising him for what he did since he left the KKK. Don't gloss over that shyt. Read the entire wikipedia article instead of highlight the initial portion.

I've said my piece on the topic. The last thing I want to throw out there is a link that makes these half-hearted, clearly biased arguments more tolerable:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I certainly wouldn’t have voted for him, here’s what the NAACP had to say about Robert Byrd.

The Breitbartification of Senator Robert Byrd | HuffPost

But perhaps the most remarkable tribute came from the NAACP. In years prior, Senator Byrd received a 100% rating from the NAACP for his pro-civil rights voting record. In a statement, the group’s then-president, Ben Jealous, said:

“Senator Byrd reflects the transformative power of this nation. Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country.”

It’s remarkable when you think about it.

A man who was a member of and recruiter for the KKK, a man who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was eulogized by our first black president, whose candidacy Byrd endorsed in the 2008 primary. And the NAACP, our nation’s leading African American civil rights organization, mourned his death in a passionate statement.

Donald Trump, the man who founded the birther movement, which doubts the nationality of our first black president, has decided that he and his supporters are in the position to judge Senator Byrd’s life and Hillary Clinton’s friendship with him. Remember that Trump is also the man who was sued by Richard Nixon’s Justice Department for housing discrimination against African Americans and a man who, in an interview with NBC’s Bryant Gumbel, infamously said, in 1989, that black men have it easier than white men.

I didn’t know Senator Byrd, but if someone close to me told me that he still grappled with his prejudice up until the moment of his passing, I wouldn’t be surprised. And I would forgive him for one simple reason: he kept trying.

Senator Byrd never tried to whitewash his history. His supporters never tried to whitewash his history. And in death, his history wasn’t whitewashed. And unlike Donald Trump and his supporters, who act inconvenienced whenever they’re called out on the candidate’s insensitive and racist remarks, Senator Byrd knew that he had a lifelong responsibility to atone for his sins.

In his memoirs, which were released in 2005, Senator Byrd said, “I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don’t mind apologizing over and over again. I can’t erase what happened.”

Now, imagine Donald Trump saying the same thing.

If you’re a reasonable person, I’m sure you can’t even construct the thought in your mind.
It’s ok to praise a KKK Grand Wizard who voted against the civil rights act as an icon because in comparison trump said whites might have it worst than blacks in a Bryant Gumbel interview.

Y’all wild as fukk:mjlol:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Recruited 150 men and started a KKK chapter in West Virginia. Who knows what he or those 150 men did during those years to the black men and women in that state.

Wrote a letter to a Mississippi senator saying how he’d never fight alongside blacks, calling us race mongrels and black scum.

Then, when he decided to really get excited about politics, told a group of young kids to avoid the KKK. Avoid the KKK because once you’ve made the mistake of joining the klan, you inhibit your operations in the political world. He stopped because he knew it would be damaging to his political career.

He might’ve had a change of heart later in his life, but icon he was not.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Recruited 150 men and started a KKK chapter in West Virginia. Who knows what he or those 150 men did during those years to the black men and women in that state.

Wrote a letter to a Mississippi senator saying how he’d never fight alongside blacks, calling us race mongrels and black scum.

Then, when he decided to really get excited about politics, told a group of young kids to avoid the KKK. Avoid the KKK because once you’ve made the mistake of joining the klan, you inhibit your operations in the political world. He stopped because he knew it would be damaging to his political career.

He might’ve had a change of heart later in his life, but icon he was not.
The atheist who prays on his deathbed