Been thinking of making that move to Oakland, any tips?

A1aaa

Respectful Fade Runner & Card Puller
Daps
Blue collar. Warehouse work. Forklift that kind of shyt.

i don't think you realize how extraordinarily high the COL is in the bay area even for white-collar households. you'd struggle to find reasonable rent in a decent location even deep in east bay, unless you had roommates. the, factoring in $$$ for amenities, it begs the question of if the move is worth it just to be financially strapped.

plus, a lot of the elements of the bay area which made it distinct have changed vastly. a lot of chill people, but there's also an strong undercurrent of pretentiousness/classism in parts the yay that people pretend doesn't exist.

may be better just to visit on the reg.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
The bay ain't been a good place to be black and blue collar for 20+ years. If you don't have a degree and a skill and connections it will be rough. You'll most likely be commuting 2+ hours both ways from Pittsburg/Antioch/Vallejo/etc. which are all hood enough that it begs the question, do you really want to move here?

If you want to be in Oakland, you're literally going to pay for it. All the decent areas in East Oakland (maxwell park, laurel, etc.) have been filled in by sf transplants over the last 10 years and anywhere close to a Bart station has already flipped. North Oakland is 100% gentrified and West Oakland is 60% of the way there too. The only parts of Oakland that are not gentrified are deeper in the East and you're STILL paying 800+/month for a room over there which is a lot to be dealing with that level of drama. You don't see sub 800 unless you're in apartment complexes in Pittsburg, Antioch, etc.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Ok so you are definitely living in East Oakland with at least one roommate if not 2. I live in the 20s in east Oakland. It don't look great but it's not bad. All Mexicans and Asians basically with some gentrifying white folks and blacks who been in Oakland forever around.

I have a roommate. Our place is $2,400 for a 2br that looks pretty good but no real fly shyt. So I pay $1,200 a month. Rent controlled so it won't get much worse for me as long as I dontd move.

You could pay less than this but the further you go toward up International Blvd into the 80s and 90s, the more hood it gets.

The only way to live here comfortably if you aren't making 6 figures and don't have rent control from 2012 or earlier is to shack up with other people. You can rent rooms for as low as $900 a month.

Look Oakland is a wonderful place to live if you got bread. People who don't live here don't know what they are talking about so ignore the bullshyt. It's real laid back and chill. Really fun people who like to have a good time. Legal weed. Beautiful weather. Gorgeous scenery. Lots of progressive politics. Great food. Good public transportation.

But do you really want to live with 2-3 roommates at 35 with no car in a gentrifying city with rising costs? If you got people out here who will hold you down if times get tough who you can kick it with and enjoy this shyt then take the risk. But if you are coming here solo with no advanced degree or certs then I would say nah, don't do it.

The bolded is half true, its more black the closer you are to 580 and more Latino the closer you are to 880. Unfortunately most of the gentrification in the East happened closer to 580 w/ the exception of the Bart station surrounding areas (jingletown, Funktown, etc.)

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
the bay and oakland specifically isn't what it used to be. you're gonna be in for a rude awakening when you move here on a tight budget. it's expensive and really gentrified and is gonna get worse before it gets better.

like another poster mentioned, look into moving to Richmond, San Pablo, Hercules or even Concord. They are cheaper than Oakland and it's a short drive away. Concord is further out but still doable if you wanna be close to the big cities. Maybe even look into Pittsburg. Ppl mentioned Vallejo but you have to cross a bridge and Vallejo is just as bad or worse than Richmond crime wise. If Vallejo works for you then look for a job on that side of the bridge. dealing with that traffic in/out of Vallejo will make you hate life.