Being White In Philly

Superstar
Daps
i find this absolutely hilarious..whites were the ones who forcefully created segregation with their jim crow laws..they were the ones that moved to the suburbs to escape the black people...what do you expect to happend when white hipsters think its okay to move to these neighborhoods..jesus

...and the article conveniently skirts the fact that those same hipsters are winning; they're driving up real estate values and pushing minorities out of the inner city regardless.

The country may be getting more diverse, but cities are getting whiter.

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
I live in DC now breh breh & I grew up right outside of Philly. I dont know about your assessment. Philly (most notably North Philly) & spots 5-10 minutes outside like Camden & Chester are probably the most shyttiest hoods I ever been around. Haven't seen anything in the DMV area that compares. Baltimore is hell on Earth and is on par with Philly but, DC/DMV area is tame. No comparison in my opinion.

As for the thread.....Philly as a town......is half black/half italian & irish. Those Italians & Irish are working class, rough around the edges (think Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter or cats on the Sopranos) so they can survive here. They'll curse you out worse than us. Its those sheltered ass, Step by Step, Full House cacs that get a wakeup call when they come here.

On fukking point. I'm going on 10 years living in Philly, and I remember when I first moved here I was taken a back a little. Being from Jamaica Queens I thought I saw poverty in southside, parts of BK, and the bronx but here in Kensington, olney, west philly :huhldup: A few months back some friends came down to visit and one of muy boys brought his yuppie girl. Shorty starting crying just driving down Broad cause she thought I was going to take them into the hood. :pachaha: :stopitslime:

This is true...south philly and north east philly white trash is known to get it in lol

fukkin meth heads and pill poppers :laugh:

Truth ! Kensington, Port Richmond, Fishtown (even though its being revitalized). Philly is kind of a funny place in that regard. Blacks and whites throughout this city can be equally as grimey, hood, low class, etc. but yet still be racist against eachother. I see just as many underage white mothers as i do young black mothers. It's a sad sight at times yet comical at others.

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
...and the article conveniently skirts the fact that those same hipsters are winning; they're driving up real estate values and pushing minorities out of the inner city regardless.

The country may be getting more diverse, but cities are getting whiter.

It's reverse white flight. When I moved here in '03 I lived in Northern Liberties, and rent prices were decent. Now you're talking NY rent prices in that area.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
Sounds like what they probably wanted from us in the first place...

Negros and colored skin people out in the burbs while the "majority" lives and makes income in the cities...

Not trying to sound like conspiracy theorist, but damn, I see it right before my eyes in DC/MD where I live...PG County (a famously black county) is becoming "blacker" while the city (DC) is red taping those negros to PG, Montgomery, Charles Counties and the such...

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps
:sadcam: Them st0rmfront trolls are really shytting in that comments section

Theres probably not 1 person from philly posting in there..just fat pasty qaqs from rurual ohio

I used to post on this forum and for some reason all of the racist dudes were from Canada and Ohio lol.

Real N Quotes

East Is In The House OMG
Daps
On fukking point. I'm going on 10 years living in Philly, and I remember when I first moved here I was taken a back a little. Being from Jamaica Queens I thought I saw poverty in southside, parts of BK, and the bronx but here in Kensington, olney, west philly :huhldup: A few months back some friends came down to visit and one of muy boys brought his yuppie girl. Shorty starting crying just driving down Broad cause she thought I was going to take them into the hood. :pachaha: :stopitslime:

Truth ! Kensington, Port Richmond, Fishtown (even though its being revitalized). Philly is kind of a funny place in that regard. Blacks and whites throughout this city can be equally as grimey, hood, low class, etc. but yet still be racist against eachother. I see just as many underage white mothers as i do young black mothers. It's a sad sight at times yet comical at others.

Yep...over there on Frankford and Aramingo in Kensington grimey ass white folk out there. In Philly hood is hood.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
:whoo: wow yall are some sensitive kids for real.

Sad to see brothers investing their energy in being angry at white people for nothing, and talking the language of the powerless and defeated.

:sadbron:

One thing I have to say tho is, why do dudes insist on looking at black people or white people as one group? You're either showing your age, or you need to get off of your block more often for real. There's no such thing as a black community or a white community brehs, that's nonsense. The race baiting black "activists" sold yall on this idea of a larger black community, and it served their interests well, but no one else really. Your community is the people directly around you, realistically your best shot is at organizing and becoming active in that group and forget about this idea that "white people are doing black people wrong" shyt is absurd. :bryan:

PoPimp84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Back seat of a Caddy
:whoo: wow yall are some sensitive kids for real.

Sad to see brothers investing their energy in being angry at white people for nothing, and talking the language of the powerless and defeated.

:sadbron:

One thing I have to say tho is, why do dudes insist on looking at black people or white people as one group? You're either showing your age, or you need to get off of your block more often for real. There's no such thing as a black community or a white community brehs, that's nonsense. The race baiting black "activists" sold yall on this idea of a larger black community, and it served their interests well, but no one else really. Your community is the people directly around you, realistically your best shot is at organizing and becoming active in that group and forget about this idea that "white people are doing black people wrong" shyt is absurd. :bryan:

I dont get why you cats are saying folks are sensetive about this article. Expressing an opposing view point does not equate to being tight about it. :manny: .The OP posted an article and posters have been calling out the bullshyt in it.

But C'mon son how are you going to say there is no such thing as a black community? A racist could give a fukk less if a black person is a lawyer (suit and tie ******) or a burger king fry cook. All are looked at as ******s in different stations. Royalty and servants were tight packed on slaves ships together, different tribes and ethnic groups were brought here in the same chains but the black activist are the beneficiaries of the black community concept? :russ: That concept wasnt created by Malcolm or the Panthers but was reactionary to prevailing racist attitudes towards black people.

And to your point that the community is the people directly around you, you do realize the author of the article lives in a predomintely black "community"? Good luck trying to get progress when part of the community writes up passive aggressive racist articles like these for a living. :krs: at you saying its absurd to think that white people are doing black folks wrong. Where you trolling or do you really think that?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Sounds like what they probably wanted from us in the first place...

Negros and colored skin people out in the burbs while the "majority" lives and makes income in the cities...

Not trying to sound like conspiracy theorist, but damn, I see it right before my eyes in DC/MD where I live...PG County (a famously black county) is becoming "blacker" while the city (DC) is red taping those negros to PG, Montgomery, Charles Counties and the such...

Dog...the new hood is going to be in the burbs.

It's happening on NYC as well

the mechanic

Greasy philosophy
Daps
Dog...the new hood is going to be in the burbs.

It's happening on NYC as well

:wow: This is true..even round here i see the gameplan..the sec 8 vouchers are being issued for the near (inner ring) burbs and the developers are creeping in on the inner city.

Soon those burbs will be hell on earth and the displaced will be looking to move back to the city...and the developers will be there with affordable condos.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
I dont get why you cats are saying folks are sensetive about this article. Expressing an opposing view point does not equate to being tight about it. :manny: .The OP posted an article and posters have been calling out the bullshyt in it.

But C'mon son how are you going to say there is no such thing as a black community? A racist could give a fukk less if a black person is a lawyer (suit and tie ******) or a burger king fry cook. All are looked at as ******s in different stations. Royalty and servants were tight packed on slaves ships together, different tribes and ethnic groups were brought here in the same chains but the black activist are the beneficiaries of the black community concept? :russ: That concept wasnt created by Malcolm or the Panthers but was reactionary to prevailing racist attitudes towards black people.

And to your point that the community is the people directly around you, you do realize the author of the article lives in a predomintely black "community"? Good luck trying to get progress when part of the community writes up passive aggressive racist articles like these for a living. :krs: at you saying its absurd to think that white people are doing black folks wrong. Where you trolling or do you really think that?

Preciate the civil reply. :obama:

My point is really that we can't define ourselves by how we think white people look at us. The fact that you assume that a white person see a nikka in a suit the same way as a street dude, even if true, is really meaningless unless you looking for them to do something for you.

If the only thing that makes the black community a community is the fact that white people group us that way, that's a shame. I don't subscribe to that view.

PoPimp84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Back seat of a Caddy
Preciate the civil reply. :obama:

My point is really that we can't define ourselves by how we think white people look at us. The fact that you assume that a white person see a nikka in a suit the same way as a street dude, even if true, is really meaningless unless you looking for them to do something for you.

If the only thing that makes the black community a community is the fact that white people group us that way, that's a shame. I don't subscribe to that view.

I agree to an extent. We can't define ourselves by how other's view us but your point about black activist creating this facade of a black community for their own gain was way off base IMO. And how is racist attitudes towards black people meaningless? When basic ass needs such as employment/career advancment and fair housing opportunities etc can and have been denied because of some people's racist ideology. Wanting equality and wanting handouts are not one in the same.

I know what you're getting at though, we can't just play the blame game and expect things to improve.