Best Rapper Alive - 2009

Who is the MVP of 2009?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
This is the first official thread for a series I'll call 'Best Rapper Alive'. Basically, in this thread (http://www.thecoli.com/threads/revi...list-how-can-we-make-it-more-accurate.465427/), I discussed Complex's article that covered this very issue.

I thought we'd do a Coli spin on things and vote for who we believe to be the rap MVP of each year. I will be going from 1985-2015 but the threads won't be made in ascending or descending order. Just random.

Basically, I will be listing contenders as poll options for MVP of any given year and y'all get one vote to vote for your MVP.

POINT SYSTEM
I will only reward the top 5 finishers of each poll.

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 5 points
3rd place = 3 points
4th place = 2 points
5th place = 1 point

The reason the remaining 4 places matter is because when all is said and done, I'll be tallying up points to see who finishes in the top 10 ever. This is done to reward consistent top 5 placers in multiple years even if they never won the MVP for one given year.

CONTENDER PRE-REQUISITES
There's only one real pre-requisite. You must have a project released in that year (whether an album, mixtape, EP or similar). This matters more to me than it does to you guys since I'm making the poll options, but just so y'all know this is the angle I'm coming from. Snoop Dogg cannot be in contention for 1995 for example.

As for groups and duos, if there's a standout member I will put them for contention if I deem them worthy enough e.g. Andre 3000 for 1998 or Ice Cube for 1988.

As for number of contenders per thread, it will depend on the year. A year like 1994 will likely have 10-15 contenders (max poll option is 15), but for 1985 it could be 5-6 only.

If your desired contender for any year is not one of the poll options and you plan to vote for that person, please make it known in the thread so I can add a poll option. DO NOT complain about an artist missing if you don't have intentions to vote for him/her.

-----------------------------------------------

2009 makes an appearance in this thread. The end of the 2000s are here...

I thought I'd also make a new hashtag for y'all to follow, so you can keep up to date with every thread release. Let's go with #BRAColi.

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
#bracoli

#tpc

Great MC's aren't defined by one album...they have to show that they have it in them over a period of time.

When you release a masterpiece in 1995 and then try to release a sequel 14 years later, you're gonna be under a lot of pressure to deliver. How on earth can an album live up to OB4CL? But with OB4CL II, Raekwon delivered. Wasn't quite as good, but sounded fresh and updated, with Raekwon rapping from a different position in the mafioso spectrum so-to speak. He rapped like he was on top of the world, like he saw it all.

And I think that's reflective of his position on top of the world in 2009. He's the MVP for me.
:cook:

Grand_Verbalizer

All Star
Daps
MI0001675806.jpg

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Definitely Raekwon

You should add Freddie Gibbs to the poll too, he had a great year

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
@mobbinfms I think we have to revise the album rule

albums were less popular as time went on you got people releasing album-quality mixtapes and shyt

if we let Drake in I think we gotta let Wayne in, no? and down the line people like KRIT and so on...