Better Decade: 80's vs 90's?

pound-for-pound which is the better decade?

• the 80's

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • the 90's

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
pound-for-pound which era had the better music, fashion, art & entertainment?

if there was any era I would wanna go back to and come of age in, it would be the 90's..I just love the 90's so much and feel most connected to that era. I love how everything got real introspective. like it was a direct response to the excess & escapism that was the 80's.

hip hop got dark, gritty, pensive..

90's hip hop :ahh: hip hop as an artform peaked in the 90's

in rock, grunge music spat in the face of 80's hair metal. a thoughtfulness returned to the music. depression and being an outsider was somehow cool. I feel like that type of attitude was unique to the 90's

even film got more cynical. a fukked up indie flick like pulp fiction wouldn't have blown up big as it did in any other era. it fit right in to the cynical, alternative 90's

uma_thurman_-_pulp_fiction_wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
I'll never, EVER have a clear answer to this. The importance I put in my childhood moments of the 80s, to my growth as a person in the 90s :wow:

Right now, I'm feeling the 90s a little more, cuz I'm tired of people my age acting like only the 80s existed with these stupid theme parties and nostalgia visits :comeon:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I feel connected to both...the 80s is my childhood and the 90s is my adolescence. I can't say that either one is really better simply because they both affected me in different ways maturity wise due to age.

So deductively, I'd have to say the 80s were better...simply due to the fact that there wasn't 1 sucky year in the 80s for music, fashion, entertainment etc...

The late 90s were asscheeks dating from about 97,98 and 99...the fashion trends began to suck, the music became over glossy, TV was ass, movies were getting cornier etc...but from 1990 til about 1996 things were great.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm an 80s baby, but it's hard to come up with a single year better than 1994.

Movies released in 1994: Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, The Lion King, Shawshank Redemption, Ace Ventura, Interview With the Vampire, Dumb & Dumber, Speed, The Professional, Clear and Present Danger. (Schindler's List was released in December of 1993, making it essentially a 1994 movie).

And check out this list of top hits in 1994:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1994
Not to mention Biggie's Ready to Die album dropped in 94.

1994 NBA Finals - Knicks lose to the Rockets in 7 games. But the Knicks went 7 games with the Bulls & Pacers too.
1994 NHL Finals - NY Rangers win their 1st Stanley Cup in 54 years after a thrilling 7 game series with the Canucks (and Devils before that).
1994 Super Bowl - The Cowboys and Bills match up for the 2nd year in a row, with Dallas winning 30-13.
1994 World Cup -- The first time the event was held in the United States, ever.
1994 Winter Olympics - Widely considered the greatest of all time. Oksana Baiul, Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan issue.

Friends and ER (two of the most popular tv shows ever, which I never really watched, btw) started their run in 1994.

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll put it like this... the 80's was a cooler/more interesting decade.

The only part that was cool about the 90's was the early 90's... and that was just an extension of the late 80's.

The whole part of the 80's was cool... whether it was 1982 or 1989... you had cool shyt coming out... from movies to music, video games... electronics... damn near everything.

The 80's was that jump from old school shyt... to new school shyt.

The 80's was just... "That Decade".

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The only part that was cool about the 90's was the early 90's... and that was just an extension of the late 80's.

The whole part of the 80's was cool... whether it was 1982 or 1989... you had cool shyt coming out... from movies to music, video games... electronics... damn near everything.

Yeah but that 90s hip hop. :ooh:

It gave us Chief Rocka! :to:

But they don't understand how I feel about the funk
I walk with the funk
I talk with the funk
I eat with the funk
I sleep with the funk
I live for the funk
I'll die for the funk
So now what do they say, when I'm walkin' up the block?
Boom shaka laka there goes the Chief Rocka

:youngsabo:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S

Looking back...whenever I see music videos from Bad Boy...like Mase, Diddy or Big I give the :scusthov::mjlol:look to it

Daps
Reppin
VOID

I have my appreciation for the 80s (I am an 80s baby BTW...born in 1984)...but I think you're alone on this one.

The 80s.
The cold war and the fear of all out nuclear war
Chicks had no ass...it was all about "the long butt" and mom jeans...even black women had no ass back then
Crack epidemic
Reagan and Reaganomics
weird fashion (androgyny, big hair, tight everything, neon, mullets, jheri curls)
Glam Rock (or as Dave Mustaine from Megadeth put it...Gay Los Angeles Music)
Shytty time for black people

the 90s
the GOAT decade for kids programming
The GOAT decade for hip-hop
The GOAT decade for rock
The beginnings of rave culture
Mall culture was at it's best...although it came from the 80s.
MTV was at it's best back then (the grind, singled out, 120 minutes, AMP, yo! MTV raps, MTV Jams, Beavis and Butthead, MTV's Oddities, Aeon Flux, etc)
Bill Clinton was a cool president
The golden age of Skateboarding IMHO
the golden age of video gaming...went from nintendo to PS and Sega Dreamcast in ten years! And we still had ARCADES!
Chicks got better looking...
Better time for black people...seeing gains from the civil rights movement
Black renaissance in art, music (hip-hop, r&b, house, techno, new jack swing, etc)...
GOAT decade for black television (family matters, hangin with mr cooper, sister sister, etc)
Chicks started getting ass...late 90s saw the birth of the PAWG movement,

FUGGETTABOUTIT!

Last edited:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Born in the late 70s so was a child in the 80s but just old enough to remember the great moments, then hit the 90s running as a young teen and basically grew up there..Im from an extremely lucky generation. but the 90s takes it, just cause the technology allowed everyone to reach their full potential before the cultural collapse and downfall of the new millenium.

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have my appreciation for the 80s (I am an 80s baby BTW...born in 1984)...but I think you're alone on this one.

The 80s.
The cold war and the fear of all out nuclear war
Chicks had no ass...it was all about "the long butt" and mom jeans...even black women had no ass back then
Crack epidemic
Reagan and Reaganomics
weird fashion (androgyny, big hair, tight everything, neon, mullets, jheri curls)
Glam Rock (or as Dave Mustaine from Megadeth put it...Gay Los Angeles Music)
Shytty time for black people

the 90s
the GOAT decade for kids programming
The GOAT decade for hip-hop
The GOAT decade for rock
The beginnings of rave culture
Mall culture was at it's best...although it came from the 80s.
MTV was at it's best back then (the grind, singled out, 120 minutes, AMP, yo! MTV raps, MTV Jams, Beavis and Butthead, MTV's Oddities, Aeon Flux, etc)
Bill Clinton was a cool president
The golden age of Skateboarding IMHO
the golden age of video gaming...went from nintendo to PS and Sega Dreamcast in ten years! And we still had ARCADES!
Chicks got better looking...
Better time for black people...seeing gains from the civil rights movement
Black renaissance in art, music (hip-hop, r&b, house, techno, new jack swing, etc)...
GOAT decade for black television (family matters, hangin with mr cooper, sister sister, etc)
Chicks started getting ass...late 90s saw the birth of the PAWG movement,

FUGGETTABOUTIT!

Black women didn't have no ass????

WTF!!!

nikka... how old are you?

Black women always have had fat asses... SMDH.

I stopped reading after the no ass comment bro... sorry.