Big Dave has the scoops on why it's not supposed to be good

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
"I think the main thing is, you know, Vince's only real goal is to drive up network subscriptions. From what I've been told, he's deliberately booking today's product badly so that people will become nostalgic for good wrestling. All that 90's stuff, even the 80's, he has it all on his network. I mean, the thing is, the best way to watch that old stuff is definitely through the network, so, you know, there's a twisted logic there."
OadJijN.png

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Thought you meant Yung King Dave in the thread title, RIP :to:

But :francis:

Has to be one of the stupidest takes I've ever heard.
Vince obviously wants the best product to give people in another 20 years something to be nostalgic for.
Unless Meltzer's follow-up is "Vince will be dead, so he won't care"

:mjlol:

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So he wants to push current fans away from the venture that gets him the most money/biggest contracts (TV)

So they can watch old shyt on the network?

Which will cause a smaller tv base thus less money in tv contracts thus making the reups even smaller...

woof

Daps
Reppin
The McMahons are probably going to sell WWE before Vince dies (as in, why should he really care that much about 15 years from now) and have mastered the art of milking their niche audience dry even while they cry about how much they hate the product, so while this would be stupid as hell to suggest about a normal business man, it isn’t that out there given Vince’s permanently convoluted view.

Last edited:

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So he wants to push current fans away from the venture that gets him the most money/biggest contracts (TV)

So they can watch old shyt on the network?

Which will cause a smaller tv base thus less money in tv contracts thus making the reups even smaller...
fukk Dave Meltzer.

This is why Dave Meltzer doesn't know the first thing about running a rasslin company, or any business really.

He thinks (or believes his source) that Coke Boy is actively trying to ruin the modern-day product along with all of the merch sales, ticket sales, licenses, TV deals, video games, reality shows, new PPVs, etc. all just so people will go back and say "Hmm... let me see what happened 25 years ago in wrestling for $9.99".

Someone told him this to see if he was dumb enough to believe and report it. Plenty of people who worked within the company have said they do this with him all the time.

WWE sucks right now, but it isn't because they are doing it on purpose. :heh:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
fukk Dave Meltzer.

This is why Dave Meltzer doesn't know the first thing about running a rasslin company, or any business really.

He thinks (or believes his source) that Coke Boy is actively trying to ruin the modern-day product along with all of the merch sales, ticket sales, licenses, TV deals, video games, reality shows, new PPVs, etc. all just so people will go back and say "Hmm... let me see what happened 25 years ago in wrestling for $9.99".

Someone told him this to see if he was dumb enough to believe and report it. Plenty of people who worked within the company have said they do this with him all the time.

WWE sucks right now, but it isn't because they are doing it on purpose. :heh:

I can't believe Dave went with this. Motherfukker double talks EVERYTHING but this bullshyt ass theory from a source that's clearly ribbing him he goes "a source told me" shyt :laff:

Coco Brown

All Star
Daps
Meh, I think Vince is just going with the Brian Frons approach of "training the audience."

I used to cover soaps for my day job and I see a lot of parallels between how Vince is running things and how Brian Frons ran things during his tenure at ABC Daytime. Basically it boils down to a strategy of building a base among newer consumers by giving them more of what they want, accepting that there will be a loss of "casual" viewership who aren't as invested in the product and will tune out b/c they don't like the changes, and "training" long time viewers to accept the current product and continue watching, even if they are unhappy by pushing forward instead of reversing course back to the "good old days."

And while it sounds arrogant af when laid out like that, it isn't entirely off base when it comes to generational programming, especially in a niche market. There's an entire generation of fans who weren't even born or old enough to remember the Attitude Era. For them, these "flippy vanilla midgets" ARE their WWE. It's what they like, what they want, and what they enjoy. Casual fans who aren't overly attached tune out entirely, others drop to part time viewers and others only watch or attend shows on special occasions when someone like Undertaker is going to show up. And the people who are so invested they drop money on shows, merch, signings, the Network, ect? The majority of those folks aren't going anywhere, no matter how displeased they are. They may voice their displeasure but will continue to watch/support and eventually come to a point where even if they hate it... They accept that this is the way it is.