R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Thought you meant Yung King Dave in the thread title, RIP :to:

But :francis:

Has to be one of the stupidest takes I've ever heard.
Vince obviously wants the best product to give people in another 20 years something to be nostalgic for.
Unless Meltzer's follow-up is "Vince will be dead, so he won't care"

:mjlol:
After how they booked WM 32 and shytted on everything but Roman...I dont know.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Meh, I think Vince is just going with the Brian Frons approach of "training the audience."

I used to cover soaps for my day job and I see a lot of parallels between how Vince is running things and how Brian Frons ran things during his tenure at ABC Daytime. Basically it boils down to a strategy of building a base among newer consumers by giving them more of what they want, accepting that there will be a loss of "casual" viewership who aren't as invested in the product and will tune out b/c they don't like the changes, and "training" long time viewers to accept the current product and continue watching, even if they are unhappy by pushing forward instead of reversing course back to the "good old days."

And while it sounds arrogant af when laid out like that, it isn't entirely off base when it comes to generational programming, especially in a niche market. There's an entire generation of fans who weren't even born or old enough to remember the Attitude Era. For them, these "flippy vanilla midgets" ARE their WWE. It's what they like, what they want, and what they enjoy. Casual fans who aren't overly attached tune out entirely, others drop to part time viewers and others only watch or attend shows on special occasions when someone like Undertaker is going to show up. And the people who are so invested they drop money on shows, merch, signings, the Network, ect? The majority of those folks aren't going anywhere, no matter how displeased they are. They may voice their displeasure but will continue to watch/support and eventually come to a point where even if they hate it... They accept that this is the way it is.

Damn. What’s the day job

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Meh, I think Vince is just going with the Brian Frons approach of "training the audience."

I used to cover soaps for my day job and I see a lot of parallels between how Vince is running things and how Brian Frons ran things during his tenure at ABC Daytime. Basically it boils down to a strategy of building a base among newer consumers by giving them more of what they want, accepting that there will be a loss of "casual" viewership who aren't as invested in the product and will tune out b/c they don't like the changes, and "training" long time viewers to accept the current product and continue watching, even if they are unhappy by pushing forward instead of reversing course back to the "good old days."

And while it sounds arrogant af when laid out like that, it isn't entirely off base when it comes to generational programming, especially in a niche market. There's an entire generation of fans who weren't even born or old enough to remember the Attitude Era. For them, these "flippy vanilla midgets" ARE their WWE. It's what they like, what they want, and what they enjoy. Casual fans who aren't overly attached tune out entirely, others drop to part time viewers and others only watch or attend shows on special occasions when someone like Undertaker is going to show up. And the people who are so invested they drop money on shows, merch, signings, the Network, ect? The majority of those folks aren't going anywhere, no matter how displeased they are. They may voice their displeasure but will continue to watch/support and eventually come to a point where even if they hate it... They accept that this is the way it is.

I think that mindset of training the audience is probably why the whole genre of soap operas is dead today.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
After how they booked WM 32 and shytted on everything but Roman...I dont know.
I think any CEO wants their product to be the best, or at least not be the worst - but, I'd guess Vince thinks he's rich (which means "successful" to his dumbass, but whatever) so if he makes a product "he" likes, then inevitably others will like it.

Unfortunately, the fact that he treats his employees like living action figures, hence all those extreme spots in the Attitude Era (to destroy WCW) which brought a lot of attention to the WWF. After putting his main stars through the ringer all those years, he dialed down on the ultraviolence and tried to make the storylines more "edgy" to catch people's attention (see: Edge and Lita having sex on tv :dahell: and the follow up Kane-abortion gimmick), and after those ratings dried up and people got sick of watching him kiss people's ass or make people kiss his ass, or Rikishi's Stinkface, he tried to make things more "PG" in order to turn the WWE into a mill for Hollywood stars.

So, we get to a point where the storylines/promos take up a higher percentage of the show, and the arcs themselves are less interesting and more campy/family friendly. As for the wrestlers that basically value how you look and if you can talk over whether you have in ring capability. Vince's pet is Roman Reigns because he thinks he'd look good in movies, probably. In Vince's mind, he's a billionaire so he knows this business better than everyone else combined, so even if we all sang a beautifully harmonized "fukk ROMAN REIGNS" he'd tell us to kick rocks.

/endrant

Trill Evans

Cooling in the lads club
Daps
full

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Sounds about right... he trained the Attitude Era audience too, whether they realize it or not. That wasn't the wrestling they grew up with, or what their parents/older siblings used to watch, but everyone got acclimated to it. And the newer viewers didn't have any older stuff to reference or compare it to, so it was a whole new thing to them. Same happened with the 80s Rock n Wrestling shyt- it turned off a lot of people, but it also introduced wrestling to people who weren't already watching it, so that was the only wrestling they knew. Even during the terrible times, like the New Generation years, SOMEBODY got hooked to wrestling during that time no matter how many people were tuning out by then. Ultimately, there's always gonna be an era that turns certain viewers away, but long as it keeps building a new crowd, it's gonna keep rollin'.